cycling hat with peak and back-flap: where to buy?

AndrewJ

Guest
I've got an excellent cycling hat that stretches over my helment. It
has a peak, and a flap at the back that covers my neck. Sure, its
daggy, but very effective in keeping sun off.

I bought it from the anti-cancer council shop in Melbourne. But they
don't seem to sell them anymore (not in the web catalogue). Somebody
asked me where to buy one like mine, and I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know of a place to buy something remotely similar? I've searched
without success so far.

Many thanks in advance.

AndrewJ wrote:
> I've got an excellent cycling hat that stretches over my helment. It
> has a peak, and a flap at the back that covers my neck. Sure, its
> daggy, but very effective in keeping sun off.

That's called a legionnaires hat, you used to be able to get them from
the Melb Aquarium, or your local highrise airconditioner... :)

> Anyone know of a place to buy something remotely similar? I've searched
> without success so far.

Industrial safety shops might be a good place to start, but now you
know the name of them, it'll be easier.

Yup, the Legionnaire's hat is sort of ok. But mine actually
s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s over the helmet. So it's cycling specific. Really
neat.

AndrewJ wrote:
> Yup, the Legionnaire's hat is sort of ok. But mine actually
> s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s over the helmet. So it's cycling specific. Really
> neat.

Try an industrial safety shop? They may have something?

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> AndrewJ wrote:
>> I've got an excellent cycling hat that stretches over my helment. It
>> has a peak, and a flap at the back that covers my neck. Sure, its
>> daggy, but very effective in keeping sun off.

> That's called a legionnaires hat, you used to be able to get them from
> the Melb Aquarium, or your local highrise airconditioner... :)
>
>> Anyone know of a place to buy something remotely similar? I've searched
>> without success so far.

> Industrial safety shops might be a good place to start, but now you
> know the name of them, it'll be easier.

I've got one from the 1992 Big ride from Port Maquarie to Sydney. Getting
beyond daggy now, despite repairs. A mate has one of the road worker type
Legionaire hats that wraps right around under your chin and fastens with
velcro tabs. Completely sun protective but must get hot wearing it.
Completely daggy unless on a tour in the desert- which he did, although in
that case ditch the helmet for a wide brimmed hat?

Another tourer made up a stiff curved back flap that he could velcro to the
back of his helmet. It stood away from his neck so allowed good air flow,
whilst shading back of neck. I bought a flouro sun cap with a neck and side
flap from Salomon Bros Industrial Clothing in Elizabeth St Sydney to wear
under helmet but found it irritating. Tried removing visor and picking the
top bit apart and widening it so it goes over the helmet and so far have
about 6 bits of fabric in a box somewhere, waiting for some kind fairy to
sew back together. Might be able to attach flap to the helmet adjustment
band.

fb

AndrewJ wrote:
> I've got an excellent cycling hat that stretches over my helment. It
> has a peak, and a flap at the back that covers my neck. Sure, its
> daggy, but very effective in keeping sun off.
>
> I bought it from the anti-cancer council shop in Melbourne. But they
> don't seem to sell them anymore (not in the web catalogue). Somebody
> asked me where to buy one like mine, and I can't find them anywhere.
>
> Anyone know of a place to buy something remotely similar? I've searched
> without success so far.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Something like these?

http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/category113_1.htm

Yes! Brilliant. Many thanks.

jh wrote:
> AndrewJ wrote:
> > I've got an excellent cycling hat that stretches over my helment. It
> > has a peak, and a flap at the back that covers my neck. Sure, its
> > daggy, but very effective in keeping sun off.
> >
> > I bought it from the anti-cancer council shop in Melbourne. But they
> > don't seem to sell them anymore (not in the web catalogue). Somebody
> > asked me where to buy one like mine, and I can't find them anywhere.
> >
> > Anyone know of a place to buy something remotely similar? I've searched
> > without success so far.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >

> Something like these?
>
> http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/category113_1.htm

I actually made 2 great brims for riding in the heat. Bought 2 cricket hats
(very firm brims) and cut the head out of them. Stiched up the edge so that
they didnt fray - put them on the inside of your helmet, and voila you have
a great full brim all around the hat. Hubby and I both wear them in the
North Qld heat. Wore them yesterday in 36 degree heat on a gravel road and
it was just terrific to have full shade all around. Will take a couple of
pics tomorrow and put them on a webpage for you
Kathy

On 14 Jan 2007 17:32:42 -0800, "AndrewJ"
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>I've got an excellent cycling hat that stretches over my helment. It
>has a peak, and a flap at the back that covers my neck. Sure, its
>daggy, but very effective in keeping sun off.
>
>I bought it from the anti-cancer council shop in Melbourne. But they
>don't seem to sell them anymore (not in the web catalogue). Somebody
>asked me where to buy one like mine, and I can't find them anywhere.
>
>Anyone know of a place to buy something remotely similar? I've searched
>without success so far.

I bought one a fair few years ago from Kmart, don't know if they still
stock them but you are right it is a great idea (except that the only
colour they stocked was purple)

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons