Cycling hates

gelyk

May 14, 2005
I was out for a ride on Sunday and as I started a climb I noticed someone ride up behind me. After about 3 miles of hanging on my back wheel they rode up next to me for a chat and then hopped back on my wheel for another 2 miles. They then has the nerve to say 'enjoy your ride, I'm gonna set my own pace now' and they proceeded to ride off the front.

Now I'm all for people riding at their own pace but don't hang on my wheel for 5 miles, getting some rest whilst I'm riding at my maximum level, and intimate that I'm not fast enough. Get up there and do some work ya *******!

What are your pet hates whilst out riding?

PS. I also hate when a car hangs behind you when there is plenty of room to pass, especially when they have a car with some decent power.

PPS. fat chicks in lycra, not a good thing either.

The selfish wheel sucker gives me a laugh, but I don't really mind. I'm out there for myself. I'll be sucking wind with or without them. They're not hurting me back there, so let 'em draft. Sometimes when I catch a rider, I'll stay behind for a bit if I'm approaching a climb. For all I know, he/she may be a better climber than me and I'd be in the way if I were to pass.

Some things I hate:

Always finding the headwind up that 9% grade.
Parents that don't pay attention to their kids on multi-use paths.
Cyclists and pedestrians going the wrong way on a path/lane.
Cars and trucks double parked in bike lanes. It's illegal here in CA, but apparently everybody thinks it's okay.
Wind that changes direction on the return trip.
Drivers that won't allow me into the lane to turn left.
Traffic light sensors.
Also on paths - Pairs of cyclists coming the opposite way that won't take a break from chatting to move into single file when they can clearly see that I'm approaching a pedestrian/dog/brat going in my direction. Forces me to slow down or sprint around the obstacle. This one really gets me. Seems very inconsiderate.

...I think I should just stop riding on multi-use paths!

Vehicles that get to a 4-way stop sign intersection immediately before me and then think they have the friggin' right of way.

Francisco Mancebo. He looks so ugly and uncomfortable on the bike that I can hardly stand to watch him.

Cops who think that road rage or vehicluar violence is not serious if it is directed at a cyclist (yet they will race with sirens to a simmilar prob with a car).

Scotty

scotty72 said:
Cops who think that road rage or vehicluar violence is not serious if it is directed at a cyclist (yet they will race with sirens to a simmilar prob with a car).
Scotty
Motorists who squeeze past a cyclist even when they can see that there is a traffic jam a few yards down the road.
Motorists who will take any risk to pass a cyclist.
Pedestrians who run into the road without checking for traffic.
People at bus stops who step out into the road flailing umbrellas, sticks, bags &c. just as I am going by.
People who step into the road to hail a taxi, as above.
Motorists who open the door of a parked car without checking for passing cyclists.
Cyclists who don't think that the traffic regulations apply to cyclists.
Cyclists who buy a bike with 27 gears and only use the top one.
Some of the other things other people said.

i have had most of the above , but the one that springs to mind is cars in traffic jams ...

they SLOW ME DOWN....:D:D

Broken beer bottles. It's bad enough that people drink while they're driving, they could at least have the courtesy to buy cans.

traffic light sensors - tilt your bike so your bottom bracket is near the sensor. either it works for me or I just happen to do it just before the light turns.

riders who do not stay right-ish even when there is plenty of good pavement to the right. they give other cyclists a bad name.

conversely drivers who don't understand why I can't ride further to the right (glass, sand, potholes, etc).

cops who pull me over for going fast - got pulled over while drafting a dump truck. cop let me go after a stern warning. another time a cop pulled up to me to yell at me but then she recognized me - we used to work together at a bike shop! she told me she was about to pull me over for speeding but that it's okay, just slow down a bit. ok honestly I don't mind it but it does scare me because I keep thinking they'll ask for my drivers license and my insurance will go up.

frenchyge said:
Francisco Mancebo. He looks so ugly and uncomfortable on the bike that I can hardly stand to watch him.
Francisco is the MAN!!

Remember, he would make mince meat out of you on the road! :p

friedmikey said:
Traffic light sensors.

These are the worst. And they are being installed everywhere! They need to be made much more sensitive or cyclists will be waiting for 30 minutes at a light.

I'm starting to stop and then quickly run these lights..

Pet Hates:

1. BMW drivers - I came across a nice one recently and I was amazed

2. Potholes - lots around me. Magnus Backstedt lives 5 miles from me, so it's ideal training for Paris-Roubaix.

3. Headwinds - I'm only little so these hurt

4. Drafters - I don't mind if they have a little chat first - as a proper cyclist on my 11 mile commute did recently. BUT - when someone from my office follows me for 8 miles in a gale and then blasts off like Robbie McEwen just before his turning to prove he's faster than me (He mentioned it the next day) - then that's just not on.

5. Cycle Snobs - I'm not a club rider, I've never raced and never will. I just like cycling, so I don't want any (rare admittedly) attitude from the rouleurs. The incident that stands out was when, earlier this year I walked past my local bike store with a Livestrong band on (they were just getting popular in the UK at the time) and some 'proper' cyclists loudly commented "Another sheep who doesn't know who Armstrong is". I pointed out that I knew who he was in 1993 and prefer Ullich and challenged them to a TdF quiz. They shut up then.

PS. No problem with fat girls in lycra - at least they're trying to become thinner girls in lycra.

Not being able to ride because of Acchilles Tendinitis, which doesn't seem to be getting any better.

(sorry to be a downer)

Male chauvinists knuckleheads like Gelyk, who alienate women from this message board.

Rumble strips as wide as the shoulder road

Continous "road improvements" on my frequent training routes. (I mean,neverending)

Tire Flats

Crashes