Cycling hates

1) Storm drain covers with long slots about the same width as my tires and oriented in the same direction.

2) Coasting past a line of cars at the lights and getting a wiff of marijuana through the passenger side window of one of them and knowing these yahoos are driving past you later.

3) Taking a brake after 50 miles of hilly riding realizing your lame when you get off and having to ride another 25 home.

4) Getting a pinch flat because some little vandal took the 8 inch iron cover off the water valve access on the street.

Balderick said:
Squeaks and unwanted sounds in general - pet hate.
Above all - punctures.
Racers who do not do their fair share, or any, work in a race then appear at the end for the sprint.

Yeah, hate people who sit most of the race, try to sprint past at the end, then congratulate you on a great ride after the race. I normally respond with "were you in the race?"

Wiredued- why are you passing cars at a stoplight? Obey the rules of the road and the rest of us have to deal with fewer ****** off drivers!

House said:
Wiredued- why are you passing cars at a stoplight? Obey the rules of the road and the rest of us have to deal with fewer ****** off drivers!
Depending where he is, it may well be quite legal.

Where I am, it is perfectly legal for cyclists to pass stationary vehicles waiting at signals.

Scotty

I ride in MA, NH, and Maine and never heard of such a law what state or country are you refering to?

House said:

scotty72 said:
Depending where he is, it may well be quite legal.

Where I am, it is perfectly legal for cyclists to pass stationary vehicles waiting at signals.

Scotty
Correct for NSW (and I suspect most other jurisdictions in Australia that have adopted the Australian Road Rules - see Rule 141(1)) - even though I do pass stationary veh-hicles at times, there are others where it is unwise to do so. I try to avoid upsetting motorists by passing them on the left if they will not have a reasonable and safe opportunity to pass me again.

A) I find it odd that states would make bikes follow the same laws as cars but say it's ok to pass them at a stop light.

B) Common sense, it pisses drivers off if they pass you once and then you pass them at a light so they have to pass you again.

C) What do you gain from doing it anyway? Getting a few feet ahead? Getting cars to have to pass you again?

Pet peeves:

- Groups of riders who won't single up when there are cars behind. In my state, bikes are considered vehicles. But if you're not going the speed limit, you are supposed to ride as far to the right as safely possible. Whenever I see it happening, I feel like they're just antagonizing drivers and they'll end up taking it out on me.

- Freakin' headwinds in every direction... Most of my rides are in a big loop, so shouldn't I have a tailwind at some point? (I think God has it in for me!)

- Lightning storms... I'll ride thru just about any weather (when it's raining, I always picture that LA commercial and have that acoustic guitar playing in my head ;) ), but when the lightning starts popping around you, that's when I call it a day...

- Getting passed by a large group of riders and have them crowd me off the road. :mad:

- Super quiet motorcycles... I had one pass me the other day that was so quiet I didn't know it was there until it was right beside me. I was so startled, I nearly bunny hopped into the ditch! I like it better when it's a loud Harley hog that I can hear coming for miles!

House said:
A) I find it odd that states would make bikes follow the same laws as cars but say it's ok to pass them at a stop light.

B) Common sense, it pisses drivers off if they pass you once and then you pass them at a light so they have to pass you again.

C) What do you gain from doing it anyway? Getting a few feet ahead? Getting cars to have to pass you again?
You raise some valid points House, but... that few feet will reduce my average speed for my ride ;) especially if I come to a complete stop that could be avoided by passing, also I hate waiting for them to move as much as they hate repassing me. Besides, unless they have difficulty passing me again it costs them no hassle, and if the road is that narrow, I would probably not be able to pass them while they are still. But the psychology is something else altogether. About two years ago I was in Charlotte NC, in really heavy traffic on a motorcycle and split down the middle lane (yeah it is illegal but totally safe as long as you slow down to 10-15mph). This super fat woman saw me coming and purposely pulled her truck out to block me. She was in a rage as I was next to her waving her fists, but I still had enough room to squeeze past, THEN she tryed to pin me against the truck beside her but missed just a little. Of course me splitting the lane did nothing at all to her, but if she was stuck, I'm sure she felt everyone should be as well and for me passing, physical harm and material damage were well deserved in her mind.

In traffic though all bets are off, here in Brazil (as in most of Europe that I have seen) lane splitting is either legal or totally accepted by motorcycles and bicycles (fast cyclists anyway). In heavy traffic you will never have the cars repass you ever again as you will blow them away even when traffic is moving well. :D

wilmar13 said:
In traffic though all bets are off, here in Brazil (as in most of Europe that I have seen) lane splitting is either legal or totally accepted by motorcycles and bicycles (fast cyclists anyway). In heavy traffic you will never have the cars repass you ever again as you will blow them away even when traffic is moving well. :D
Lane splitting is one thing, but I generally try to avoid getting up on the right side of anyone who might be making a right turn. Unless there's a really long line of cars, it usually isn't worth the risk.

artmichalek said:
Lane splitting is one thing, but I generally try to avoid getting up on the right side of anyone who might be making a right turn. Unless there's a really long line of cars, it usually isn't worth the risk.
Good point. In practice it is rare to pass cars on the inside as they rarely do give enough room to do so safely, and yes the unsignaled right turn is a constant danger. I almost always split the lane of traffic(especially approaching an intersection) because I am usually going as fast or faster than traffic but then I am usually riding where the speed limits are 60km/hr and it is no problem merging in and out when needed. This obviously wouldn't be too safe on a freeway where traffic is significantly faster.

wilmar13 said:
I almost always split the lane of traffic(especially approaching an intersection) because I am usually going as fast or faster than traffic but then I am usually riding where the speed limits are 60km/hr and it is no problem merging in and out when needed. This obviously wouldn't be too safe on a freeway where traffic is significantly faster.
It's a particulalry fun to do when coming into town and the two lanes of cars are hung up at a long red light. The looks from the wretches trapped in their cars are priceless. To make things even more intersting, double yellow lines are optional in VT unless there's a sign saying otherwise.

ARGH, after just a few days ago saying people were mostly decent around here I had not one but two bad experiences yesterday. One was not necessarily bike related, but more racially motivated. Had some guy in a parked car say out his window as I went by "I hate f**king caucasians, f**king caucasians". Sure not exactly a racial ephitat, but the intent was sure there. Then later on I had somone in a jeep yell "go play on the f**king trail" at me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

HATE IT....two flat tires due to some minuscule piece of metal that hides perfectly within the ply's of your tires. At the same time running out of CO2 and finding that one the drop outs of your new bike has been damaged by the "LBS mechanic" you took it previously for a check up, making re-installation of your tire a pain! All this happening to you on mile fifteen of a fifty mile ride. To add insult to injury, you try to return back with a hellacious head wind due to oncoming rainstorm!
This is a true story.

Eden said:
Then later on I had somone in a jeep yell "go play on the f**king trail" at me. :mad: :mad: :mad:
You just have to sit back and laugh at the irony of that one. A guy in a 4x4, on the road, telling someone else to, "go play on the f**king trail".

On a hot day you get a cooling effect and if you time it right you get green at the lights. I was averaging about 17mph one hot summer day made eight sets of lights and the nineth was red. When I stopped the heat began to build and I was drenched in sweat instantly. I couldn't imagine waiting behind a line of cars if there is room on the right and I don't think I have seen any riders do that around here. Where do you ride?

House said:

House said:

I find most laws 'odd'. For example, I get taxed to the hilt then they give me money back in rebates. Why not just tax me less in the first place.

So? Motorists don't own the road. It actually pisses me off that they take stupid risks to pass me only to be caught again at the next set of lights. Why don't they just stay behind.

Those few feet can actually be hundreds of feet in heavy traffic.

Induray said:
HATE IT....two flat tires due to some minuscule piece of metal that hides perfectly within the ply's of your tires. At the same time running out of CO2 and finding that one the drop outs of your new bike has been damaged by the "LBS mechanic" you took it previously for a check up, making re-installation of your tire a pain! All this happening to you on mile fifteen of a fifty mile ride. To add insult to injury, you try to return back with a hellacious head wind due to oncoming rainstorm!
This is a true story.

So carry a pump you lazy *******. You're out there for exercise. :p

House said:

House - good points but in response:

A) It exists for good and obvious reasons - cyclists can reduce their travel times, there is little danger caused by doing it, and it is easy to do. There are other differences in the way the law (in NSW at least) deal with cyclists - lightin requirements, the ability to turn right from the left lane (in NSW we drive on the left hand side of the road) and the ability to use roundabouts differently to motorists. Cyclists are also prevented to using certain roads but may ride on footpaths if supervising a child 12 years and under.

B) Agree - if passing a motorist is likely to lead to the motirst being unable to pass me down the road then I will not pass them on the left.

C) Reduced travel time, and gaining more than a few feet, especially if it means you get caught a few times at a red light. One of the advantages in communting on a bike is the ability to have simlar or better average speeds to cars - cars just do it differently by stopping for longer but reaching higher peak speeds. Why should the car drivers prevent cyclists from using their machines to the full extent? Cars do not own the road and, at least in NSW, do not have greater legal rights than cytclists.