Cycling hates

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gelyk, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

Cycling hate:
    Women walking/rollerblading/whatever with so much perfume on that that's all you can smell for a 1/2 mile.

There's this 1/2 mile stretch of road between two bike paths near here. The two paths are connected via a gravel path. My wife and I always used to complain about cyclists not using the path. So two weeks ago I get a road bike and decide to head to the one path. I get to that section and head off on the gravel path. I made it about 10 feet before I decided that it was going to destroy my bike. It made me think back and realize that as a passenger in a car, I had no idea that those bikes could not handle the trail that was there. So now, I feel bad that I was one of those people who always thought (but never said), "Use the damn trail." They just don't know.

2. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

Alot of hates but for me are many...

1) Every person I pass feels that they need to start a race. I really do not understand it, I go out of my way alot of times to pass by at a cruising not crushing speed but ofcourse he was to suddenly go into over drive, huff, puff, stand in the seat and start swinging the bike side to side up the hill. The lighter guys love the swinging, upright position. All I really want to do is just keep my pace but instead now I have a guy who can go home and feel "I am faster than him".

2) If I pass a guy or a guy comes up my back side hard with shorts, t-shirt and sneakers with a toy's r us special bike and sees me and feels he must beat me to show "look, I am better than the guy with the pro bike and gear".

3) Fat guys who ride with their knees jutting so far out he takes up another lane.

4) Being from NYC, anyone who feels that Central Park two little hills are the French Alps. Get over Central Park already...

5) After I pass someone on a hill, on the downhill stretches suddenly comes up my backside and passes me to show, "look I am faster than you".

UGGGH...thinking about this stuff pisses me off...

-js

3. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

I have to change mine from:
    Women walking/rollerblading/whatever with so much perfume on that that's all you can smell for a 1/2 mile.

to:
    Having a cosmetics factory right next to the bike path so all you can smell for a half mile, every time you go by, is cosmetics.

4. Peka

Peka New Member

Heh, this is especially true if you ride a MTB and the person you just overtook is on a roadie :rolleyes:

5. cheapie

cheapie New Member

so the person that just got dropped, one likely reason being because they are heavier than you, is supposed to hit the brakes going downhill just so you don't have to suffer the insult of being passed? :rolleyes:

6. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

I think I am going to start riding slowly just baiting people into passing me so that I can then blow by them just to piss them off... :D

You guys need to get your fragile egos in check... who cares if someone repasses you? How do you know he isn't doing intervals and wasn't recovering when you passed him? Who cares if he is racing and you aren't? Why are you upset if he thinks he is stronger than you? Why is it a bad thing for other cyclists to find motivation to ride harder when given the opportunity? How does what he did regarding passing you have any effect on you if you are just out riding your bike? I would love to hear someone try to justify this as anything other than bruised ego.

Now if you are riding in a group and the passing rider has sucked wheel rather than contributing his turn at the front then peters out after a 30 second attack, he is a moron, but that is totally different than what you guys are whining about.

7. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

OK...I can admit ego is a fragile thing ... I even use some riders ahead of me as motivation ... Maybe because I just turned 40 I may bruise more easily ... :D

But I really think it all comes down to attitude...I have been passed and passed others...if when you pass someone you can be friendly understanding that you are riding around a park for god sake ... maybe say a "hi" or make a joke "get back down in that seat kid"...than I think all is fun but when you do it and give attitude or try and beat the other into submission for something as silly as Central Park than you are just as lame as the lame circle you keep doing over and over again...

In the end it is the attitude not the speed or bike...:p

Wheelsuckers do suck and if you need one in Central Park...well the name really fits well...I mean come on.

-js

8. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

I think it is pretty obvious when someone on a bike is trying to race or pass you because "his ego is bruised" not mine. I look at him and see him huff and puff, blood shooting from his nose ... well you get the picture. It is another thing that he just passes you because you slowed up and could not maintain the speed while he was able to ...

It is all in the attitude...you are not going to be racing the next big tour in Europe, get over it and have some fun and become a bit healthier. :p Leave the attitude home, make a few friends, read a few opposite sex joggers rear ends...become a hobby around Central Park for me....:eek:

I have been looking for that Tulane girl for a few weeks...I mean wow...:D

-js

9. cheapie

cheapie New Member

i'm heavy-ish, about 185, and i get passed a lot on the climbs. however, when we hit the downhill i just zoom past everyone else. i sure as heck am not going to hit the brakes and waste that inertia. it probably bothers some people when i fly by. i try and let people know that i'm coming on their left so i don't spook them at 35+.

10. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

hahahahaha...good one.

11. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

I am 175 and I admit that I am not the best at downhills...actually I do slow down because my balance skills on the downhills are not the best. When I get passed by anyone if they are coming at me for the kill, if they are polite and give a "hi" or so than I think the guy is cool. So it sounds like you fall into that group...like I said...attitude, attitude, attitude.

Actually there are times I get passed on an uphill or downhill and would love to ask the rider, why do you do that?, why do you use that hand position or gear combo? But instead I get attitude ...

-js

12. pomegranate

pomegranate New Member

And, what, fat guys in lycra are hot?

My eyes!!! My eyes!!!

:p

13. wiredued

wiredued New Member

I ussually find it refreshing to get passed and hear a "good morning" it gives me a break from the malaise of a long ride when I try to keep that person within sight the miles fly by regardless of the rider or bike. Some of them absolutely blow me out of the water and I have to slow down before I cough up a lung but that makes me a better rider.

14. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

AGREED...I am coming from the same place.

15. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Yeah. Who gives a sh*t. Just ride.

16. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

I'm doing interval training to maximize my cardio benefit. I feel like such a idiot when somebody passes me just before I start one of my high-intensity (fast) intervals. Of course, I pass them right after they pass me. I'm sure they're thinking, "Look at this bozo. He has to prove that he can pass me." Of course, then my fast interval comes to an end, and they may - or not - pass me again.

17. Denia

Denia New Member

What about riding through beautiful countryside and finding the sides of the roads littered with other cyclists discarded powerbar wrappers, drinks cans, gel packets etc.? I see this all the time in Spain on popular climbs and it makes my blood boil . . .

18. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

:eek: shoot it!

19. marleyjane

marleyjane New Member

fat chicks in spandex are bad, but how 'bout those a**hole truck drivers who double take when they see anything female in lycra and yell "whoa, you're a hottie" while swerving 1 inch from your front wheel??i also hate broken glass...probably the same truck drivers...:mad:

20. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

Deer on the path that won't get out of the way - despite any of your whistling or yelling - until you are within 5' of them.