Cycling hates

When you pass by another cyclist and they take it as "wanna race?" and kick up the pace to stay with you or pass by you again. Dude, chill out! I just wanted to pass by your a**!

jyeager said:
I resent that remark! I've got a GTO and the Dukes of Hazzard drove a Charger. Mopars are definitely more red-neck than Pontiacs! :)
I stand corrected.
GTOs rock.
BTW, are you Lance? (his GTO got pimped on TV)
How's Sheryl in bed?

hombredesubaru said:
I stand corrected.
GTOs rock.
BTW, are you Lance? (his GTO got pimped on TV)
How's Sheryl in bed?
I'm pretty sure (at least by the looks of things) that Ms. Crow has been ridden hard and hung up wet one too many times. ;)

Here's another one...

Cyclists that I've already passed that stop in front of me at red lights. Grrr....

Rich Nic said:
Pet Hates:

PS. No problem with fat girls in lycra - at least they're trying to become thinner girls in lycra.

Rich Nic, you're my hero.

Amy (who wishes she looked better in lycra---or that muu muus worked well as cycling apparel)

I've got one that nobody's mentioned: DOUBLEWIDES on the back of Semi's! Geez - I got scraped by one of these guys and shoved off the road - the sad part - I knew he was coming from the lead car and I was less than an inch to the side.

Even worse, after my spill I didn't get up in time to catch the guys licence plate. There's got to be some law of how wide those can be.

And for any of you with DoubleWides in the Oregon area, check the side of your house for a handlebar scrape and give me a call with the name of your shipping company.

Stecman said:
I've got one that nobody's mentioned: DOUBLEWIDES on the back of Semi's! Geez - I got scraped by one of these guys and shoved off the road - the sad part - I knew he was coming from the lead car and I was less than an inch to the side.

Even worse, after my spill I didn't get up in time to catch the guys licence plate. There's got to be some law of how wide those can be.

And for any of you with DoubleWides in the Oregon area, check the side of your house for a handlebar scrape and give me a call with the name of your shipping company.

Forgot about that - yeah. A guy with a trailer/boat wider than his car overtook me happy in the knowledge that there was at least 4mm between his car and me until his trailer hooked up my seat and deposited me on the verge (thankfully it was grass).

B@$t@rd!!!!!

Methinks I'll head down to the local fishing club and smack a hole in every boat just to make sure I get the right one...

gelyk said:
I was out for a ride on Sunday and as I started a climb I noticed someone ride up behind me. After about 3 miles of hanging on my back wheel they rode up next to me for a chat and then hopped back on my wheel for another 2 miles. They then has the nerve to say 'enjoy your ride, I'm gonna set my own pace now' and they proceeded to ride off the front.

Now I'm all for people riding at their own pace but don't hang on my wheel for 5 miles, getting some rest whilst I'm riding at my maximum level, and intimate that I'm not fast enough. Get up there and do some work ya *******!

What are your pet hates whilst out riding?

PS. I also hate when a car hangs behind you when there is plenty of room to pass, especially when they have a car with some decent power.

PPS. fat chicks in lycra, not a good thing either.

Well, my story is a positive one. Once, when i was in pretty good shape, I felt that a guy was behind. Looked around and there was an old man, turned out he was approaching 70. We had a bit of a chat and took turns. Told him how impressed I was by his form (were doing about 35 klicks average softly hilly terrain). After some time the old gentleman got out of his saddle, turned around and smiled: "I gotta go now, have to be home very soon." And accelerated. I tried to keep up with him. But in vain. He was taking of (and looking easy doing so) with more than 40 klicks....

felix

People in cars who feel the desperate need to get around you 50 yards before their turn!
mad.gif

When it comes to wheel-sucking, it's about ettiquite. If someone just starts sucking without even a hello or refuses to come through without a reason there an ass.

I hate when you are in a pace line and the person in front of you suddenly gets out of the saddle and in turn throws the bike back a few inches almost causing you to crash.:eek:

A woman driving a minivan with three kids in the back on a cellphone. Been riden off the road more than once by one of these. When I see a minivan I steer clear.

basso97 said:
I hate when you are in a pace line and the person in front of you suddenly gets out of the saddle and in turn throws the bike back a few inches almost causing you to crash.:eek:

i did a Make-A-Wish foundation tri-century a few weekends ago. there's this girl that rides with the group of 20 guys i like to hook up with during that event. she's large but a very strong rider. HOWEVER, she SUCKS at riding in a group. she veers all over the place, doesn't ride close to the person in front of her (nullifying the advantage of being in a large group if you're behind her), speeds up when she's in the front, and stops pedalling and sits up to drink even when pulling the group! :mad: she's nice enough but i've jumped around her on more than one occasion just to keep from getting ******.

As a newbie cyclist, (who started by spinning!)...I've never had the pleasure of riding a paceline. And because of my lack of confidence, and the fact my bike is a Electra Townie 7, I'd just as soon sit on the back!! I started riding multi-use trails, thinking they were safer than the road, and have discovered that two "youngsters" that are too cool to ride single file are more dangerous than a car. Cell phones scare me when I'm driving a car, let alone riding my bike. And I always look straight at a driver when I really want him to SEE me. Also, I've noticed that some drivers will have a mexican standoff with you when you wave them by, then they wave you by, I want your car out of the way! Please go around me or make your turn, I'm not moving until I feel safe. Sometimes I'm trying to catch my breath at a crossroads and get a drink, and some nice motorist insists that I cross in front of him, while cars start piling up behind! I no longer fall for this; I usually have a bad take-off and look like an idiot. I'm learning....this morning I was directing traffic, so I could safely cross the street, I think I'm starting to look like I mean it when I'm waving my arms and pointing (nicely...) Also, I still look fat to myself in lycra (but I'm not; I;m middle-aged!). But I prefer baggies, and the skort look...much more flattering on a female body that's not 20 years old!! That's my two cents!

- a tailwind on an exposed climb in summer

Some of you mentioned a hate for headwinds, but I prefer that on a hot climb, where wind resistance is not much of a factor because of the speed; you just cook when there's no air moving over you.

I was on a ride a couple of weeks ago in my town. I was 20 miles in on a 50 mile ride. Comming down a hill at about 35 or 40 mph a white SUV pulled up next to me a threw a glass bottle in front of my tire and blew out both the tubes and shredded both tires. I was lucky i kept the bike upright and didn't bend the rims. The cops caught the guy a week later, he did the same thing to another cyclist who got a partial plate and with my description of the car they were able to get him. That really made me mad.

specialized26 said:
I was on a ride a couple of weeks ago in my town. I was 20 miles in on a 50 mile ride. Comming down a hill at about 35 or 40 mph a white SUV pulled up next to me a threw a glass bottle in front of my tire and blew out both the tubes and shredded both tires. I was lucky i kept the bike upright and didn't bend the rims. The cops caught the guy a week later, he did the same thing to another cyclist who got a partial plate and with my description of the car they were able to get him. That really made me mad.
Wow. That blows my mind. Did you find out what the guy was fined?

Stecman said:
Wow. That blows my mind. Did you find out what the guy was fined?
No, not yet, i am not too sure what happened to him. I am pretty friendly with all the cops so i am planning to find out as soon as the information is allowed to be released. Yea it was not fun at all.

France! France! France! France! France! France! France! France! France! France!

hombredesubaru said:
yes! and squeaky botton brackets.

also...people on bike paths who come straight at you, on your side of the bike path, hogging the entire road, whether on bikes or roller blades or walking or pushing a stroller, then get upset when you motion or ask them to ride on ther own F%#&ing side of the bike path!

I've had a squeaky bb for ages - which has bugged social riders and racers alike. Greased it and finally replaced it but to no avail. A closer look recently showed a hairline crack. Couldn't believe my luck. One new frame coming right up!

And what do I hate? I hate cars that overtake 50 metres before turning left - impatient bastards.

mitosis said:
I've had a squeaky bb for ages - which has bugged social riders and racers alike. Greased it and finally replaced it but to no avail. A closer look recently showed a hairline crack. Couldn't believe my luck. One new frame coming right up!

And what do I hate? I hate cars that overtake 50 metres before turning left - impatient bastards.
Squeaks and unwanted sounds in general - pet hate.
Above all - punctures.
Racers who do not do their fair share, or any, work in a race then appear at the end for the sprint.