Cycling hates

Manayunk.

Philadelphia is a great cycling city with a tremendous cycling community. Even though the city is so large, there are wonderful quite roads within 5 to 10 miles of the center of the city. The terrain is great with twisting and winding rolling hills.

However, most rides end up funneling through Main Street in Manayunk which, despite its connection to the sport, is an inhospitible place to ride a bike. This neighborhood is populated by urban rednecks and frequented by hurried suburbanites in SUVs. Neither group is very welcoming to cyclists.

Hates:
Crashes.
Unleashed dogs on shared cycleways.
Psychotic humans on shared cycleways.
Shared cycleways.
Sydney cycle courier scum.
Bus drivers who tailgate cyclists.

Pays respect to:
Dog owners on shared cycleways who restrain their dogs until you pass

I had a training companion who was an ungrateful and dangerous wheelsucker. He'd always sit on my wheel going up hills. Near the top, he'd often "attack." Fine, I'd jump on his wheel. Then he'd blow up, sit up and coast without pulling off. Almost ran over him a couple of times.

I agree with the first reply in this thread. I am out there for myself and if I encounter another cyclist I could care less if they are faster or slower than me. That is not to say I am not competitive - if they are faster than it makes me focus on trying harder and on improving. There is no law against wheel sucking and unless the other rider is rude or disrupts your ride or training it aint no big deal. I for one will be out for a 50+ mile ride and might be hammering and come upon another rider and tucking in behind them gives me a chance to cheat the wind and recuperate a little - plus possible strike up a conversation if the other rider is up for it.

I also hate cars that lurk behind me because they don't know how to drive or pass.
I don't like cyclists who ride on the wrong side of the road for any reason or distance.
I don't like drivers who honk to let you know they are behind you.
I hate drivers who honk because they feel cyclists do not belong on roads with cars.

But, I am usually in my own world while riding and this is what I love about the sport. Passing other cyclists, being passed by them, the wind in my face, the pain in my legs and body, trying to best a favorite course, suffering up hills/mountains, flying downhill, and at the end of the ride knowing that I am involved in a sport that allows for a tremendous amount of personal accomplishment. Cycling - gotta love it!

Kinda funny....

It seems like a lot of people here feel/act the exact same away as people in cars do. Only, we all tend to condem the actions of motorists....

I've heard, lots of times, the bicyles are vehicles and have the same rights as any other vehicle on the road. But listen to what cyclists say when people in cars get upset that all the cars have to wait their turn at a red light - but a bicycle can zoom past on the right all the way to the light. If a guy in a car says 'Well, these stupid bicyclists slow me down, I have to wait to pass, blah, blah, blah' everyone says 'Geez, it's 30 seconds! Come'on!'. But listen to the cyclists defend their right to go in front of cars waiting at a red light and it's the same argument.

The macho 'I've GOT to show you I'm faster than you' is, obviously, very common from this thread. It's NO different than the drivers who pass you, even though they are going to be turning.

I dunno, just my 2 cents as a new cyclist. It seems like, in a car or on a bike, people act the same.

Not dangerous; always done with innocent intent, but really annoying: I'm hammering up a long grade, down in the drops; got the breathing rythm going and the cadence dialed in, and a car pulls alongside, the window rolls down, and they ask me for directions. I guess I'm too much of a nice guy; I feel like a jerk if I ignore them.

Some people are just asshats on a bike or a car. I'm on my MTB 1 mile into a 25miler just warmed up when a fat dude on a roadie spins by not too fast and I can hear his lungs rattling. I speed up only a little and the fat ******** pulls right in front of me for his turn off !
LOL he must of sprinted his heart out just to pass me for literally 15 yards before cutting off.
Hates:
1. Potholes. Rattle your bones, hurt my ass, f**k my wheels.
2. Knobheads in cars beeping/yelling or otherwise giving you ****. Had it all from water pistols being shot at me in summer to a f**k face half way out of the window trying to grab my hat.
3. Equipment malfunction. Chain slips, punctures et al.
4. The 'has it seen me' feeling when at night (yes I'm lit up like a christmas tree)
5. The 'oh **** it hasn't seen me' moment day or night when something pulls out on you.
6. Eating/breathing in bugs.

Loves:
1. Smooth asphalt. Ah the glide.
2. Ascent/Descents. For the work and the speed.
3. Cold air, blue sky, dry and the roads are quiet.Ideally no wind = perfect.
4. The feeling when you stop. 5 minutes and the pains melted away I'm feeling sooo good.

Weed.

My biggest pet peeve is the car that passes you and then make a right in front of you forcing you to hit the brakes.

Bike snobs. Being looked down upon, because you can't afford the latest, lightest bike for your weekend ride.

Isn't the point of cycling, cycling, not what you use to cycle.

-CB

Hows about people with no manners.

Why worry about others., You have no idea abou their motivations or experiences on the day they cause you trouble. For those that have experienced doors opening on them with no warning. Well have you never made a mistake. For those that get upset by the subsequent earful well the person screaming at you probably got a fright.

As for the fat chicks in lycra. There are more fat blokes in Lycra and they're usually pretty hideous. I advocate the wearing of sacks of stoutest hessian to cover up if you're not one of the beautiful people (I of course am cosmetically perfect - at last thats what my mirror tells me).
Perfume laden cyclists! I had to put up with a BO laden cyclist the other day. It was rancid. I don't like the perfume but believe me this was worse.

For the guy who hates people who try to do their bit in the paceline and then can't maintain the pace. Thats how you find out and learn. Mebbe he thought he was up to it when drafting at 38kph but when he was exposed to the headwind he thought ooops mr cockup was alive and well.

When you come across rich fiolk who are riding bikes much more expensive than the one you can afford why not just think. Gaaaawwd with kit like that imagine what he could do if he had some talent as well. Obviously if he's go the talent too then just think b*rsteward. :D

I'd just ask why cyclists don't seem to nod a greeting to each other anymore. I nod to everyone but 1 in 100 acknowledges it.

Oh and I hate irritating messages like this one....errrrr

expereinces
CELLbikes said:
Bike snobs. Being looked down upon, because you can't afford the latest, lightest bike for your weekend ride.

Isn't the point of cycling, cycling, not what you use to cycle.

-CB

How about the jerkwad that passes you in the same lane of travel when no oncoming traffic in site?

I hate that guy!!!!

The wheelsucker who with a 1/4 mile left in the training ride, comes flying to the front to finish first in a nonrace.:mad:

wet railroad tracks.
tiny, loud dogs.
conversely huge quiet dogs.
bent presta valves.
leaks on the seam.
People who scream "Get a Car" out their windows.
1 hour runtime lights with 2 hour runtime decals on them.

well i hate cars that keep honking at you then after letting them pass they flip you off.
well, i just don't like motorists in general.

i also don't like snobby roadies with really nice bikes that you end up beating after a long climb or just try to go in front of you thinking you're too slow but you end up beating them after a long stretch.

i think mountain bikers are nicer than roadies, they actually say hello when they pass you and smile, unlike some roadies that just look at you wierd and take off like you can't catch up.

The "I gotta prove I am faster than you" theory really does not even fit in the real world. Let's say the day before you go out and hammer the entire ride or are just plain old tired on the current ride. Just because another cyclist passes you does not mean they are necessarily faster. You may be on a recovery ride or the same might apply to another cyclist. You just don't know.

I do know that seeing another cyclist in the distance is incentive to push a little harder. But, at the same time I am smart enough to ride within my limits because in terms of training if I push it too hard that defeats the whole purpose.

I hate a$$wipe drivers who feel the need to come up behind you blowing their horn, even though its a 4 lane street (2 in either direction) and the other lane is completely unoccupied.
Get a life, its not going to kill you to have to change lanes and your horn isn't going to scare me off the streets - in fact it will make me more likely to take the entire lane more often since you obviously won't give me any space if I don't.