Cycling helmets a hazard?

On May 15, 7:32 pm, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.2qn...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Sorry to re-ignite this war, but...www.gizmag.com/go/7255/
> Enjoy.

Same old **** posted many times in the past.

B.F.D.

And, funny thing, it does not reflect my experiences at all. I ride
with and without, depending on other issues. The berth given by motor
vehicles pretty much remains the same.

OTOH, I find (some) drivers are a good deal more hostile when I and/or
my riding companions are 'en regalia' (lycra shorts, loud jerseys,
racy shoes, etc.). Perhaps they just think we're arrogant, grimacing,
overly intense Lance-a-likes, instead people out having a good time.

On 15 May 2007 18:31:27 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:

>OTOH, I find (some) drivers are a good deal more hostile when I and/or
>my riding companions are 'en regalia' (lycra shorts, loud jerseys,
>racy shoes, etc.). Perhaps they just think we're arrogant, grimacing,
>overly intense Lance-a-likes, instead people out having a good time.

I may be off base, but I envison you looking like that comic book
store owner in the Simpsons or something.
--
JT
****************************

(PeteCresswell) said:
Per Dan Burkhart:
>www.gizmag.com/go/7255/

That's in traffic.

YMMV riding through rock gardens.
--
PeteCresswell
Of course. I have taken enough spills and encountered enough low hanging branches while riding off road to convince me of the value of a helmet in those circumstances. On the street, sometimes I wear one, sometimes I don't. One thing is for sure. It is not up to the safety zealots to tell me I have to wear one!

Dan Burkhart wrote:

> Of course. I have taken enough spills and encountered enough low
> hanging branches while riding off road to convince me of the value of a
> helmet in those circumstances. On the street, sometimes I wear one,
> sometimes I don't. One thing is for sure. It is not up to the safety
> zealots to tell me I have to wear one!

You are picking a fight with nobody. Knock yourself out, as the saying
goes.

On May 16, 8:32 am, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.2qo...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> (PeteCresswell) Wrote:> Per Dan Burkhart:
> > >www.gizmag.com/go/7255/

> > That's in traffic.

> > YMMV riding through rock gardens.
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> Of course. I have taken enough spills and encountered enough low
> hanging branches while riding off road to convince me of the value of a
> helmet in those circumstances. On the street, sometimes I wear one,
> sometimes I don't. One thing is for sure. It is not up to the safety
> zealots to tell me I have to wear one!

You're absolutely correct, helmet use should be wholly the decision of
the adult user; no one needs or want more government in their lives.

OTOH, the extremist bozos who try to make their case by stating that
helmets make cycling more hazardous are even worse than the safety
zealots.

A pox on both houses.

Ozark Bicycle said:
On May 16, 8:32 am, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.2qo...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> (PeteCresswell) Wrote:> Per Dan Burkhart:
> > >www.gizmag.com/go/7255/

> > That's in traffic.

> > YMMV riding through rock gardens.
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> Of course. I have taken enough spills and encountered enough low
> hanging branches while riding off road to convince me of the value of a
> helmet in those circumstances. On the street, sometimes I wear one,
> sometimes I don't. One thing is for sure. It is not up to the safety
> zealots to tell me I have to wear one!

You're absolutely correct, helmet use should be wholly the decision of
the adult user; no one needs or want more government in their lives.

OTOH, the extremist bozos who try to make their case by stating that
helmets make cycling more hazardous are even worse than the safety
zealots.

A pox on both houses.
Well, I don't have particularly strong feelings either pro or con when it comes to helmet use, but I find an objective study interesting. I'd have been just as interested if the findings of the study were reversed.

"Dan Burkhart" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> Ozark Bicycle Wrote:
>> On May 16, 8:32 am, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.2qo...@no-
>> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

>> > Of course. I have taken enough spills and encountered enough low
>> > hanging branches while riding off road to convince me of the value
>> > of

>> > helmet in those circumstances. On the street, sometimes I wear one,
>> > sometimes I don't. One thing is for sure. It is not up to the
>> > safety
>> > zealots to tell me I have to wear one!
>> >

>> You're absolutely correct, helmet use should be wholly the decision
>> of
>> the adult user; no one needs or want more government in their lives.
>>
>> OTOH, the extremist bozos who try to make their case by stating that
>> helmets make cycling more hazardous are even worse than the safety
>> zealots.
>>
>> A pox on both houses.

> Well, I don't have particularly strong feelings either pro or con when
> it comes to helmet use, but I find an objective study interesting. I'd
> have been just as interested if the findings of the study were
> reversed.

Now we need a study to discover how this correlates to bicycle accidents
and the injuries suffered therein.

Phil H