Cycling holiday in the UK?

When I lived back in England, we used to use Youth Hostels in various parts of the country for a weeks training if we didn't jet off to somewhere sunny.

Carbisdale Castle in the north of Scotland is (was - don't know about now) probably one of the best youth hostels in the UK.

If I remember correctly, its the wooden wall panel under the stairs, behind the white statue, that "opens" to reveal a mysterious passageway.

An impressive stately home that was given to the YHA and features "classic" Scooby Doo like statues that turn to open secret passageways... I sh1t ye not. It's way up in the north of Scotland but well worth the trip in the summer months. Even in spring the weather can be best described as hostile if the dark clouds roll in off the Atlantic. I think the number of cars we saw on the main roads that week could be counted on both hands...

... but the ride back from Scourie into driving rain and headwinds that almost brought one to a trackstand were something I'll never forget.

Bridges Youth Hostel at Long Mynd, Shrewsbury is a fantastic cyclist friendly Youth Hostel. Not flash like Carbisdale - think utilitarean - but great countryside for riding, great kitchens, a secure room for the bikes and as youth hostels go - comfy beds. The hostel itself is fairly nice.

Ilam (ilam) Hall in Derbyshire is almost as epic as Carbisdale and is based on a 100+ acre country estate. The country roads around there are great for cycling - just to the south of the Peak District.

What sort of thing are you looking for. Scotland , especially the Highlands and Islands have the quietets roads. Plenty of nice countryside as well. "Culture" tends to mean busy but that depends on what you are used to. Wales is pretty good like thatas well. Plenty of castles to see there. The west country is rather touristy but that does equal facilities. Avoid cities like the plague unless you park the bike somehwere are go by publc transport.
Do some costing. Food isn't cheap. You could survive on 3 or 4 pounds a day but that survive not live. With care 15 pounds and 20 would be great. Not sure about youth hostels but a B&B might be £30 to £50 . Big chains can have deals if you book ahead.
Keep asking.

Hi,

If you're after an organised trip in the UK I can highly recommend www.just-pedal.com. They currently offer package holidays in the Surrey Hills and Hampshire. Exceptional scenery and cycling under an hour from London and the Olympic road race passes through the Surrey Hills this summer. They'll even pick you up from the airport.

They also offer a bespoke service and can create a tailormade tour for you anywhere in the UK. They have loads of contacts across the country so where ever you want to go they can point you in the right direction.

The UK is a great place to cycle so I'm sure you'll have a good time whatever you decide to do. Enjoy!

I would highly recommend cycling in Norfolk, it is great for cycling! It has great road and off road cycle routes especially in the Thetford Forest area. I would reccomend Quiet Lanes Cycle Tours http://www.quietlanescycletours.co.uk they organise great camping weekends in the Theford area, catered for and camping equipment was provided, which is great as I didnt have to carry anything or even buy a tent just had to turn up with my bike and the food is tasty. Its such a great experience, they only organise a few weekends a year so you need to get in quick! Plus its only £99 per weekend which is a bargain as you get accomodation and food! I believe the next weekend organised starts the 17th August 2012 and then the 14th Sept 2012. The organisers are really friendly and really enthusiastic about cycling, they know the best routes in the area!

I cycled in the Cotswold region many many years ago.

Rolling is the best way to describe the roads in that region but a more picturesque place in England is hard to find.
(I have heard good reports about the Lake District though).

The Lake District is nice but avoid peak tourist season. The narrow roads make cycling almost a chore when cars are moving at 5mph.

There's also an unusual amount of hills that rank as "******* hard" for even strong cyclists but completing Hardknot and Wrynose passes is a feather in the cap. It's fun riding past cars that have overheated or just plain died... But if you go when it's nice and quiet it's hard to beat. Really picturesque. If you go early in the year watch out for moss in shaded areas of the roads - it's as slippy as ice when damp.

The Peak District is nice - especially the southern edge of it. The hostel I posted below, at ilam is very cycling friendl and there area has a fair number of hostels. Further to the north you have classic British climbs such as The Cat 'n Fiddle, Wynatts Pass and Snake Pass. Venture a little further north and you have the barren hills that take in Holme Moss and Saddleworth Moor...

... From ilam, riding to Bridges youth hostel isn't beyond the relms of imagination. If you really wanted to you could go from the Lake District to the Trough of Bowland area (there's a hostel around there somewhere), down to the Peak District and across to Shewsbury... Take 'em all in :)

There's a lot of nice roads in Wales - but the sheep are always wary of people and sometimes dart across the road in a rather dangerous manner.

;)