Cycling holidays ideas please

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone suggest a (cycling) holiday company where I can ride some of the day, lounge the rest,
    and my wife relax and do non-cycling things? Destination would ideally be European, and probably
    road cycling, but MTB would be fun too. This would be for last week of April.

    Thanks!

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a (cycling) holiday company where I can ride some of the day, lounge the rest,
    > and my wife relax and do non-cycling things? Destination would ideally be European, and probably
    > road cycling, but MTB would be fun too. This would be for last week of April.

    Well, what does she like doing? I'd have thought that you could go cycling anywhere?

    If you want a recommendation: France. Cheap hotels and smooth roads.

    These guys do all sorts: http://www.exodus.co.uk/index.html - I haven't tried them personally.

    --
    In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my
    position is mistaken," ... I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > These guys do all sorts: http://www.exodus.co.uk/index.html - I haven't tried them personally.

    Went to Morocco with them over Xmas. All went fairly smoothly and there were several repeat
    customers in the group.

    Well organised, interesting trip (a bit harder than the grading suggested), nice (well, more than
    adequate) accommodation, good staffing and good group.

    Not all of this is within the control of the company of course.

    The OP wanted to cycle while missus lounged. Most of Exoduses tours are 'tours' rather than
    location based.

    Why not hire a Gite in France & take day rides away?

  5. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 30 Mar 2003 12:20:10 -0800, [email protected] (Mark) wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest a (cycling) holiday company where I can ride some of the day, lounge the rest,
    >and my wife relax and do non-cycling things? Destination would ideally be European, and probably
    >road cycling, but MTB would be fun too. This would be for last week of April.

    Mark

    Why not investigate some of the larger skiing resorts. The skiing season usually comes to a close
    round about mid-April and many of these villages operate their lifts for MTBing. I appreciate you'd
    prefer road cycling. Anyway, as long as you don't mind an upwards bit at the end of your road ride
    then I can see no problem.

    <http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/home.asp> then <http://www.skiclub.co.uk/direct/resorts/>
    for a start.

    I've not tried riding in those areas myself, BTW, but I used to ski a lot.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  6. Hi Mark,

    Majorca is a very safe bet for that time of year. We have just been there with a mix of cycling and
    non-cycling friends and everybody had a good time. For the cyclist there's a good choice of flattish
    rides in the South and more mountainous terrain in the North. It will be starting to get warm at the
    end of April, but it should still be reasonably comfortable for cycling. I would recommend the
    resort of Puerto Pollensa and surrounding area as a good base for cyclist and non-cyclist.

    There are also lotsof flights (BA, BM, Easyjet, or charter) and plenty of accommodation at
    that time.

    Good luck, Roger Fretwell

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a (cycling) holiday company where I can ride some of the day, lounge the rest,
    > and my wife relax and do non-cycling things? Destination would ideally be European, and probably
    > road cycling, but MTB would be fun too. This would be for last week of April.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Mark

  7. James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote
    > Why not investigate some of the larger skiing resorts. The skiing season usually comes to a close
    > round about mid-April and many of these villages operate their lifts for MTBing. I appreciate
    > you'd prefer road cycling. Anyway, as long as you don't mind an upwards bit at the end of your
    > road ride then I can see no problem.

    I wouldn't advise ski resorts for cycling until June - there's a fair difference between not enough
    snow for reliable skiing and clear for cycling on (or going for walks), quite apart from the state
    of mountain weather.

    Andrew

  8. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a (cycling) holiday company where I can ride some of the day, lounge the rest,
    > and my wife relax and do non-cycling things? Destination would ideally be European, and probably
    > road cycling, but MTB would be fun too. This would be for last week of April.

    I don't know if they are operating in April, but this lot offered me a very reasonable week in the
    Alps. Up on lifts and down in panic.

    [email protected]

    John

  9. Paul Luton

    Paul Luton Guest

    [Posted and mailed]

    In message <[email protected]> [email protected] (Mark) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a (cycling) holiday company where I can ride some of the day, lounge the rest,
    > and my wife relax and do non-cycling things? Destination would ideally be European, and probably
    > road cycling, but MTB would be fun too. This would be for last week of April.

    Try Susi Madron "Cycling for softies". Mostly moving on but there is a fixed centre option.

    --
    CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames