cycling illiterate needs info about her benotto bicycle please

mississippigirl

Mar 1, 2004
Hey Yall!,
Can someone tell me where to find info about benotto bicycles.
I have been searching the web with no success. I bought this one in the late 80's, used in Memphis, Tn at a bicycle shop. They said it was a really good one. It's a red "triathlon". The only number I can find on it is HR 22. If anyone has any info or direction for me I'd sure appreciate! Thanks!

Originally posted by mississippigirl
Hey Yall!,
I have been searching the web with no success. I bought this one in the late 80's, used in Memphis, Tn at a bicycle shop. They said it was a really good one. It's a red "triathlon". The only number I can find on it is HR 22. If anyone has any info or direction for me I'd sure appreciate! Thanks!

Try www.benotto.com, hopefully you read Spanish. :)

Originally posted by mississippigirl
Hey Yall!,

Sounds like it could be a very nice bike. Here's some info from the encyclopedic site www.sheldonbrown.com. Hope it's of some help. BTW, N.R. stands for "Campagnolo Nuevo Record:

"An Italian company that moved to Mexico. Some of the Italian examples are exquisite. Such an N.R. bike should be worth perhaps $800. To pay a thousand or a bit more for a truly outstanding example with original paint would be fairly rational. Later Mexican production yielded nice but not terribly special bikes. For N.R. examples figure $600.

[In the late '80s, Bennotto handlebar tape was the thing to have on a racing bike. It was a thin translucent plastic tape, and came with the world's worst handlebar plugs.] "

Lastyear a friend gave me what sounds like the same frame as yours and I assembled it for my daughter. The frame had been covered in flat gray paint but before having it stripped in a bath I was able to see the original decals. If you have a picture of your bike it would be nice to see how it originally looked. -pfd