Cycling in a dress

geegee

Apr 28, 2004
My daughters school uniform is a tunic. Is there anything she can wear to keep it in place or can anyone think of anything?

geegee said:
My daughters school uniform is a tunic. Is there anything she can wear to keep it in place or can anyone think of anything?
Can she just wear some shorts underneath the uniform? They could be stored in a locker or a backpack once she got to school.

or, make her wear shorts/pants...
she can just change into a skirt when she gets to school

You can use a safety-pin to pin the the front of the skirt to the back, turning it into something similar to shorts!

Or yeah, as mentioned above, wear tights under the dress/skirt.

She'll have to change from some sort of pants into the skirt/dress at school (or hide them beneath the skirt) if her bike does not have a skirt-guard on it (almost all modern bikes do not!). The skirt could get caught in the rear wheel otherwise, especially if it is long and/or looser-fitting. You wouldn't like the result...nor would she!

Does it have a chainguard/chaincase? If not, many of the same arguments apply as to the skirt-guard for her, and add in tears and/or grease damage from the moving parts (chain and crankset) if she should even rub against them (easy to do with anything...even skin...lol!).

Never you mind mounting the bike if the frame is not some sort of mixte/step-through frame style!

Modesty...while so important for anyone, not just women...is really the least of it here.

Phuong L said:
You can use a safety-pin to pin the the front of the skirt to the back, turning it into something similar to shorts!

Or yeah, as mentioned above, wear tights under the dress/skirt.

The safety pin thing works well, my wife uses it all the time. You can also use some sort of clip, maybe a clothes pin. My wife uses a clip that supports a Camelbak hose.