Cycling in Boston

Michael Pisarri

Jun 28, 2004
I'm going to boston next year for college and was wondering how the cycling was there. Do I have to leave the city, are there nice bike path? or will I be going around rollerbladers and avoiding runners? can I bring my bicycle on the "T"?

Michael Pisarri said:
I'm going to boston next year for college and was wondering how the cycling was there. Do I have to leave the city, are there nice bike path? or will I be going around rollerbladers and avoiding runners? can I bring my bicycle on the "T"?
The cycling is pretty good there but you will probably want to leave the city. The Charles River Wheelmen are probably the largest recreational club in the area and their web pages have links to a bunch of other clubs, both rec. and racing.

Michael Pisarri said:
If you're a serious roadie, avoid the bike trails. Rollerbladers have taken them over. Too bad, because the Minuteman trail used to be a great way to get a nice ride out of the city. Charles River sponsers many group rides as does my club (Mass Bay Road Club). We are south of the city, but not too far away. The roads along the south coast are fantastic.
:cool:

DeanC said:
The cycling is pretty good there but you will probably want to leave the city. The Charles River Wheelmen are probably the largest recreational club in the area and their web pages have links to a bunch of other clubs, both rec. and racing.

Thanks for the link, I'm glad I can find at least a few people that cycle down there.

PeterF said:
If you're a serious roadie, avoid the bike trails. Rollerbladers have taken them over. Too bad, because the Minuteman trail used to be a great way to get a nice ride out of the city. Charles River sponsers many group rides as does my club (Mass Bay Road Club). We are south of the city, but not too far away. The roads along the south coast are fantastic.
:cool:

True that there are many rollerbladers on the Minuteman, but not too bad in the evenings. Taking Mass Ave out past Cambridge, through to Lexington and beyond is a nice ride. Only disappointment from while I lived there was that lack of really hard climbs. But it's like that in most cities.

Depending on what school you go to they may have cycling clubs/teams that you can either join or atleast get info from. I went to BU and they had a team. If yours doesn't you can always email one of the club members from another school- they are usually generally helpful! Enjoy your time in Boston- its an AMAZING city! :D

Liesel said:
Depending on what school you go to they may have cycling clubs/teams that you can either join or atleast get info from. I went to BU and they had a team. If yours doesn't you can always email one of the club members from another school- they are usually generally helpful! Enjoy your time in Boston- its an AMAZING city! :D

BU is the school I am going to attend. I didn't know they had a team, depending on the level maybe ill check it out.

Besides the CRW there is the Nashoba Valley Peddlers to the North. There are some good steep climbs in the Roslindale section of the city and out by Blue Hills. The Seven Hills Wheelmen out in Worcester (west of the city) run one of the hilliest centuries around.