Cycling in Central Europe

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hello,

    I’m planning on doing a bicycle trip that takes in central Europe. I’ll be leaving from London and plan to go to Prague and back. I was thinking of taking in the Alps on the way there and then coming back through Germany, Holland etc.

    I’m thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out the boring bits like Northern France. However, I’ve heard that it’s only possible to put the bike on certain trains and not others. Does anyone know anything about this?

    Any recommendations of routes, scenic places to check out, campsites, hot springs, would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I’m planning on doing a bicycle trip that takes in central Europe. I’ll be leaving from London and
    > plan to go to Prague and back. I was thinking of taking in the Alps on the way there and then
    > coming back through Germany, Holland etc.
    >
    > I’m thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out the boring bits like Northern
    > France. However, I’ve heard that it’s only possible to put the bike on certain trains and not
    > others. Does anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > Any recommendations of routes, scenic places to check out, campsites, hot springs, would be
    > appreciated.

    I drove to Prague during last summer and can recommend the hot springs at Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad)
    about 70 miles west of Prague. We stayed there for 3 days and the old town is beautiful. The new
    part of town is very 1960s Soviet style, but still enjoyable.

  3. "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > > I'm thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out the
    > boring bits like Northern France. However, I've heard that it's only possible to put the bike on
    > certain trains and not others. Does anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > Any recommendations of routes, scenic places to check out, campsites, hot springs, would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    >First Northern France has some great cycling with low levels of traffic -
    admittedly a bit flat in the east.

    Trains carry bikes but they usually have to be put on a different train if you are going any
    distance. They are then sent to Paris and re-distributed in some cases. They may arrive a day or so
    later than you do especially if the French weekend (3 days) is involved. Local trains will carry a
    bike no problem for no extra charge on the same train. Check the CTC website for more specific info

    Cliff>

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I’m planning on doing a bicycle trip that takes in central Europe. I’ll be leaving from London and
    > plan to go to Prague and back. I was thinking of taking in the Alps on the way there and then
    > coming back through Germany, Holland etc.

    In Germany you can take your bike on all the trains except the ones designated ICE, IC and EC
    (InterCity Express, InterCity and EuroCity),

    That leaves you a massive choice -- but not the fastest trains. You will need a ticket for the bike.

    Not sure elsewhere. Most European train companies have a London office.

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Bicycles can only be brought on a TGV train (French high speed train) if they are in a container of
    certain dimensions (a "housse").Check the SNCF website for the exact dimensions, but it's rather
    small. I put my bike in a cardboard box from a bike shop (the one new bikes come in) and it turned
    out to be too big. I got yelled at by one conductor, but he gave up in disgust and let me keep the
    bike on the train when he finally figured out that I couldn't understand any of the insults he was
    hurling at me.

    French local trains may or may not accept unboxed bicycles (look for the bicycle icon on the
    schedule). Otherwise, the only long distance trains in France that take unboxed bicycles are
    international trains from other countries passing through France ( I ended up going from Paris to
    Strasbourg on an Austrian train).

    The other way to transport your bike through France by train is to use the SNCF baggage forwarding
    service, SERNAM. Bike must be boxed, it will be shipped by truck or on a freight train to your
    destination. It can be shipped to a street address or to a rail station that offers this service.
    Again, check the SNCF website, which has an English section. HTH
    --
    mark "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm planning on doing a bicycle trip that takes in central Europe. I'll be leaving from London and
    > plan to go to Prague and back. I was thinking of taking in the Alps on the way there and then
    > coming back through Germany, Holland etc.
    >
    > I'm thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out the boring bits like Northern
    > France. However, I've heard that it's only possible to put the bike on certain trains and not
    > others. Does anyone know anything about this?
    >
    > Any recommendations of routes, scenic places to check out, campsites, hot springs, would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

  6. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 9 Mar 2003 02:12:28 +1050, dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> blathered:

    >I’m planning on doing a bicycle trip that takes in central Europe. I’ll be leaving from London and
    >plan to go to Prague and back. I was thinking of taking in the Alps on the way there and then
    >coming back through Germany, Holland etc.
    >
    >I’m thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out the boring bits like Northern
    >France. However, I’ve heard that it’s only possible to put the bike on certain trains and not
    >others. Does anyone know anything about this?

    Bike bus to Strasbourg? http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

    Return via a different pick up point on the homeward leg.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bike bus to Strasbourg? http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

    European Bike Express is a lot more expensive than flying these days. Its between £150 and £200
    return (more if you stay over 17 days) and you can get flights for a third of that if you pick
    your time. Personally though I would ferry to Rotterdam and follow the Rhine down if I were
    going that way.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  8. Am 9 Mar 2003 02:12:28 +1050 schrieb dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]>:

    >I=92m thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out =
    the
    >boring bits like Northern France. However, I=92ve heard that it=92s only possible to put the bike
    >on certain trains and not others. Does anyone know anything about this?

    Check the WWW-pages of the railway companies. For Germany, have a look at
    <http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die_bahn_international_guests.shtml>

    Best wishes for your journey, Hans --=20 Hans Friedlaender <http://hans.friedlaender.org> "Never
    attribute to malice that which can be adequately=20 explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor

  9. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:56:06 +0100, Hans Friedlaender <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Am 9 Mar 2003 02:12:28 +1050 schrieb dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>I’m thinking of doing part of the journey by train so as to miss out the boring bits like Northern
    >>France. However, I’ve heard that it’s only possible to put the bike on certain trains and not
    >>others. Does anyone know anything about this?
    >
    >Check the WWW-pages of the railway companies. For Germany, have a look at
    ><http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die_bahn_international_guests.shtml>

    And as a bonus, I think the German site lets you plan journeys all over Europe.

    Tim