Cycling in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ganfas, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Ganfas

Ganfas New Member

Hi guys, this may look like a dumb question but i really don't know.

I don't like to ride with cold weather but i need to train this year since winter, because some objectives i impose to myself. I only have summer equipment, and i don't know what should i buy / dress to ride in winter. For example, should i use the summer jersey inside a winter jacket or something like that, or only the jacket?

Tags:

2. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

Ride naked. HTFU.

3. kopride

kopride Member

Essentials are a thin nylon hat that can be work under your helmet and neoprene booties available on line from performance or nashbar at a pretty cheap price. The rest can be purchased at a local wal mart. Cheap non cotton long johns and/or tights, wool or poly blend socks, neoprene hunting gloves, a hunting face warmer/ neck warmer. If there is no rain, a cheap fleece jacket over a standard summer jersey, can also do the trick.

If you have money, all these things can be purchased at a bike shop for twice the price.

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Depending on the temperature, dress as if you were going Nordic skiing ...

Wear your jersey-or-equivalent + other layers beneath your jacket/vest.

Depending on your tolerance to cold weather, I recommend a thin-to-medium balaclava to keep your ears & neck warm.

I also recommend arm warmers, long pants, and neoprene booties (for temps below 5ÂșC) ... sometimes, you can't have enough layers!

5. Camilo

Camilo New Member

what conditions are you riding in? Can't advise unless we know - temp, wind, snow, ice, rain, darkness, what?

6. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Give us an idea of the temps, conditions and this forum can probably help/ Layering is best, covering skin, always wear a hat.

7. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Get a good trainer. It will probably be cheaper in the long run, and more comfortable too.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Yup. What he said. You lose a lot of heat from your melon, so keep it covered. What sort of cold injury you might suffer with your skin, if precautions aren't taken, really depends on how well your hydrated and how good your circulation is. No matter the case, cover up. When covering, layer, just like Peter said. With layers it's a lot more easy to regulate temperature by unzipping or shedding a layer.

Riding in winter is fun. Go for it, if for no other reason than to see if you like it or not. It's not difficult, at all, to keep warm. It also doesn't have to be expensive to keep warm. Don't let other talk you into their regimen, the one where you waste time on a trainer, in doors, afraid to venture out or paralyzed by some stupid idea that keeping warm has to be expensive. Have more imagination than that.

9. Peter@vecchios

What he said. Riding indoors is the epitome of boredom and nothing takes fun outta riding more than a ride indoors. ice on the road is the only thing that keeps me off the bike. If dry-ish, ride outside.

10. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

My favorite get up for temperatures down to about 25 degrees farenheit:
    Bib shorts
    Under Armour shirt over the bib
    Then bib tights, preferably windfront
    Winter cycling coat
    Balaclava
    Wool Socks
    Neoprene booties over shoes
    Thick cycling gloves

Any colder than that and you'll probably need a wool jersey between the under armour and coat.

11. grahamspringett

grahamspringett New Member

You gotta have a big fan, TV and DVD player. Makes 2hrs30min on a trainer much more enjoyable.

12. alienator

Nope. I've tried that stuff, and all that stuff just makes a bleak living hell minutely less bleak. I'd rather be out in the cold, any day, actually pedaling down the road.

13. Peter@vecchios

2.5 hours on a trainer is never enjoyable. I don't care if you are watching a Bush resignation speech or workout video with Jennifer Anniston or live coverage of Lance getting wacked at the Giro.

14. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Depends on what you mean by "cold weather"
    40 to 50 degrees F: I wear a base layer, light weight long sleeve jersey, windbreaker, riding shorts, leg warmers, skull cap, glove liners and mittens.
    30 to 40 degrees F: micro fleece skull cap, base layer, heavier long sleeve jersey, vest, windbreaker, winter tights (neoprene front) if it's really windy, otherwise regular tights over riding shorts, sock liners (silk), socks, toe covers, gloves and a glove liner. I also wear riding goggles if its very cold (my eyes hurt in cold wind)
    Below 30 degrees: I don't ride outdoors

15. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

It was 17 degrees and falling at 10:00 this morning. The high tomorrow is going to be 18 degrees, but sunny with no ice. The wind chill is supposed to lower it into the single digits. It's either the trainer or dragging 20 lbs of extra clothing and fighting the wind. I think that I'll opt for the trainer. BTW, not everyone finds the trainer to be a mind numbing hell. For me, being cold is hell. Audio books are great for a diversion. Music is good for me if I'm doing intervals. My outdoor cycling weather starts at 45 degrees and goes up as high as it wants to get. Just don't try to push me outdoors below 45.

16. alienator

20 lbs of clothing? Yeah, right. Exaggerate much?

17. Ganfas

Ganfas New Member

Well not too much cold i guess, something around 10 / 13 celsius, and only cold, i don't like to cycling at night or in the rain.

I thought about buying a indoor trainer, but i think it's funnier to ride outside, even in cold weather, if i buy it it will probably only be used to warp up before go out.

18. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

10-13 C, that's not bad at all. For those temps and reasonably clear days I'd wear long knickers that cover my knees, a long sleeve jersey over a thin long sleeved synthetic layer, long fingered but thin cycling gloves and definitely a thin synthetic hat. If it's windy, wet or colder I'd add a cycling jacket and perhaps full tights and shoe covers. But those aren't real cold temps and just a few long sleeved and long legged cycling garments along with maybe a good jacket are all you need to add to be comfortable.

FWIW, trainers can be real useful for race warmups and for really cold or nasty days. I use one for months on end, but we had 50cm of snow in the yard today and on clear days temps hover around -10 to -20 C. As soon as things warm up as far as +5 C or so in the spring I'll be outdoors and not stuck inside working hard and going nowhere. If I lived in your climate I sure wouldn't be on the trainer much.

Good luck,
    -Dave

19. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Whatever you wear - the outer layer should be BRIGHT:)

Its harder for drivers to see riders in darker conditions so they need all the help they can get also drivers are less likely to expect someone to be out riding at all so are less likely to be 'looking' for a rider:eek: .

20. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve New Member

Perth doesnt get too cold, but in winter it can get as low as 2 degrees Celsius which is about 35 F? I wear a thin cotton undershirt- if its too thick it retains your sweat and stays cold; arm warmers, leg warmers, dont need booties but might buy some next winter...full gloves are OK but i prefer fingerless for the feel of levers... nose gets very cold and pink, as do ears...but temperature is one thing, if its windy its worse - wind chill factor. I find an undershirt does the job, no need to spend big pesetos on thermal stuff, just find a thin cotton one, this base layer will work well in tandem with your jersey.