Cycling In Cornwall

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jim Roberts, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. Jim Roberts

    Jim Roberts Guest

    Hi everyone.........sorry about the test message. our server is playing up.Anyway, We are looking
    for some more really flat cycle ways in Cornwall. We know of the Camel Trail and the rout from
    Portreath to Devorin, and are in need of a few more to use next season. Can anyone help us ?

    Thanks

    Carol & Jim R

    Tags:

  2. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    Jim Roberts wrote:

    > Hi everyone.........sorry about the test message. our server is playing up.Anyway, We are looking
    > for some more really flat cycle ways in Cornwall. We know of the Camel Trail and the rout from
    > Portreath to Devorin, and are in need of a few more to use next season. Can anyone help us ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carol & Jim R

    I travel to Cornwall quite frequently as the company I work for is based there (that's why I live in
    Norfolk - LOL!) - is there *anywhere* in Cornwall that's flat? If so, I haven't been there - it all
    seems lumpy to me.

    --
    Chris

  3. Jim Roberts

    Jim Roberts Guest

    "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jim Roberts wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone.........sorry about the test message. our server is playing up.Anyway, We are
    > > looking for some more really flat cycle ways in
    Cornwall.
    > > We know of the Camel Trail and the rout from Portreath to Devorin, and
    are
    > > in need of a few more to use next season. Can anyone help us ?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Carol & Jim R
    > >

    > I travel to Cornwall quite frequently as the company I work for is based there (that's why I live
    > in Norfolk - LOL!) - is there *anywhere* in Cornwall that's flat? If so, I haven't been there - it
    > all seems lumpy to me.
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    Hi Chris................there are some parts that are flatter than others............A30 aint too
    bad...........flat but not level and most Saturdays the bike would be quicker than most cars.
    Seriously though...............we are looking for cycle routes that are free of motorised traffic.

    Carol & Jim

  4. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > Hi Chris................there are some parts that are flatter than others............A30 aint too
    > bad...........flat but not level and most Saturdays the bike would be quicker than most cars.
    > Seriously though...............we are looking for cycle routes that are
    free
    > of motorised traffic.
    >
    > Carol & Jim

    I too think that Cornwall is very lumpy and the only flat bits you are likely to find will be old
    railway lines like the Camel Trail. In August I spent a week exploring the environs of Morgan Porth
    which subsequently proved to be good training for the rigours of the climbs on the C2C. All the
    minor roads were hillier than the A and B routes but they were traffic free. Flat and 'traffic free'
    appear to be mutually exclusive though I'd love to be proved wrong.

    Vernon in Leeds

  5. Mark Burch

    Mark Burch Guest

    It's just outside Cornwall, but there is a track similar to the Camel trail near Barnstaple in
    Devon. It's very flat and goes along both sides of the estuary with some lovely views.

    Mark Burch

    "Jim Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone.........sorry about the test message. our server is playing up.Anyway, We are looking
    > for some more really flat cycle ways in
    Cornwall.
    > We know of the Camel Trail and the rout from Portreath to Devorin, and are in need of a few more
    > to use next season. Can anyone help us ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carol & Jim R

  6. Kirby James

    Kirby James Guest

    Just outside Cornwal in the Plym Valley Trail which runs north from Plymouth up to the western edge
    of Dartmoor. It is along an old railway line so has an easy gradient. It forms the southern end of
    the C2C. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=255000&Y=65000&zoom=5

    Another possibility (starting from Plymouth) is to take the Cremyll ferry (into Cornwall) and
    explore Millbrook, Rame Head, Whitesand Bay and St John before returning via the Tor Point Ferry -
    it's not flat though - see http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=247500&Y=56500&A=Y&Z=5

    Regards Kirby

    "Mark Burch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It's just outside Cornwall, but there is a track similar to the Camel
    trail
    > near Barnstaple in Devon. It's very flat and goes along both sides of the estuary with some
    > lovely views.
    >
    > Mark Burch
    >

    > "Jim Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi everyone.........sorry about the test message. our server is playing up.Anyway, We are
    > > looking for some more really flat cycle ways in
    > Cornwall.
    > > We know of the Camel Trail and the rout from Portreath to Devorin, and
    are
    > > in need of a few more to use next season. Can anyone help us ?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Carol & Jim R

  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    "Jim Roberts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone.........sorry about the test message. our server is playing up.Anyway, We are looking
    > for some more really flat cycle ways in
    Cornwall.
    > We know of the Camel Trail and the rout from Portreath to Devorin, and are in need of a few more
    > to use next season. Can anyone help us ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Carol & Jim R

    I just spent a few days cycling in Cornwall. It seemed very tough compared to my usual London
    commute but I think you just need to allow for the hills when assessing how far you will go in a
    day! Also allow for the constant breeze.

    I was based near Redruth and there was a trail - the Great Flat Lode Trail - based on old tram lines
    linked to the tin mining. This was a really good trail (lots of interesting things on it) and pretty
    flat. You'll need a mountain bike as the surface was often coarse / loose aggregate (i.e. track
    ballast). The mining trails actually extend well beyond this marked trail and are good for cycling
    as they are deserted! I also found that the national cycle route (No.3) marked on my 50k OS was
    pretty good except where it went to a ferry that wouldn't take bikes (just south east of Truro) (not
    sure who to blame for this - I was very peeved when I got to the ferry and then had to turn around).

    I tried riding some bridal ways as well but compared to Surrey where I usually ride they are a
    nightmare - locked gates, poorly marked, overgrown, etc. so I wouldn't bother unless you have good
    advice. I also have to say that the people of Cornwall are probably the rudest most anti cycling lot
    I have ever met. Several times on single track lanes I had to pull right off the road to let cars
    past. Only once did anyone thank me. Cornwall drivers also seem to drive single track lanes with a
    complete disregard for their own and all other users safety. I know where I won't be spending my
    holiday money in future!

    Hope you have fun

    Matt

  8. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > I tried riding some bridal ways as well but compared to Surrey where I usually ride they are a
    > nightmare - locked gates, poorly marked,
    overgrown,
    > etc. so I wouldn't bother unless you have good advice. I also have to say that the people of
    > Cornwall are probably the rudest most anti cycling lot
    > have ever met. Several times on single track lanes I had to pull right
    off
    > the road to let cars past. Only once did anyone thank me. Cornwall
    drivers
    > also seem to drive single track lanes with a complete disregard for their own and all other users
    > safety. I know where I won't be spending my
    holiday
    > money in future!

    This is a complete contrast to my experiences near Morgan Porth where I clocked up a fair mileage in
    single track lanes without incident. Loved the experience so much that next year's holiday there is
    already booked and paid for. I'll be extending my holiday by riding from Newquay to Bath along a NCN
    route. Should be fit enough by then :)

    Vernon a happy cyclist in Leeds