Cycling in Cuba

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Dave & Cat, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Dave & Cat

    Dave & Cat Guest

    Hello fellow cyclists

    My wife and I are planning to spend a month (April-May) cycling around in
    Cuba. I was wondering if there was somebody out there willing to give us a
    few hints on what we might expect...Also if somebody would like to lend us a
    map of this island, it would greatly be appreciated, we live in B.C. Canada

    Happy touring

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Dave & Cat wrote:
    > Hello fellow cyclists
    >
    > My wife and I are planning to spend a month (April-May) cycling around in
    > Cuba. I was wondering if there was somebody out there willing to give us a
    > few hints on what we might expect...

    You might enjoy Lynette's book "The Handsomest Man in Cuba":
    http://www.galfromdownunder.com/ about her bike tour of the island.
    She gave a very informative talk about the trip to our bike club and
    also joined us for some local rides when she was in town for
    book signings.

  3. On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Dave & Cat wrote:

    > Hello fellow cyclists
    >
    > My wife and I are planning to spend a month (April-May) cycling around in
    > Cuba. I was wondering if there was somebody out there willing to give us a
    > few hints on what we might expect...Also if somebody would like to lend us a
    > map of this island, it would greatly be appreciated, we live in B.C. Canada

    I haven't cycled in Cuba (tropical countries aren't my cup of tea -:)
    Some friends (who must remain anonymous, due to the actions of Helms-Burton)
    have cycled there several times and enjoyed it.

    This past summer my anonymous friends introduced me to
    Wally and Barbara Smith, who are researching for a cycling book about
    the Canadian Maritimes. Wally and Barbara wrote a very good book
    about cycling in Cuba (and got in BIG TROUBLE for writing it).
    If all copies have not been burned, maybe you can still buy a
    copy of it (it helps to be Canadian!).

    Wally and Barbara's website:

    http://www.bicyclingcuba.com/

    --

    David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
    email: [email protected]

  4. rjdennis

    rjdennis Guest

    a simple source of info on riding in cuba is the lonely planet guide on
    riding in cuba, i was in havana recently and saw very few bikes..r
    David Dermott wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Dave & Cat wrote:
    >
    > > Hello fellow cyclists
    > >
    > > My wife and I are planning to spend a month (April-May) cycling

    around in
    > > Cuba. I was wondering if there was somebody out there willing to

    give us a
    > > few hints on what we might expect...Also if somebody would like to

    lend us a
    > > map of this island, it would greatly be appreciated, we live in

    B.C. Canada

    > I haven't cycled in Cuba (tropical countries aren't my cup of tea

    -:)
    > Some friends (who must remain anonymous, due to the actions of

    Helms-Burton)
    > have cycled there several times and enjoyed it.
    >
    > This past summer my anonymous friends introduced me to
    > Wally and Barbara Smith, who are researching for a cycling book about
    > the Canadian Maritimes. Wally and Barbara wrote a very good book
    > about cycling in Cuba (and got in BIG TROUBLE for writing it).
    > If all copies have not been burned, maybe you can still buy a
    > copy of it (it helps to be Canadian!).
    >
    > Wally and Barbara's website:
    >
    > http://www.bicyclingcuba.com/
    >
    > --
    >
    > David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
    > email: [email protected]
    > WWW pages: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

  5. citizen142

    citizen142 Guest