cycling in europe

yfaber

Aug 6, 2014
hey guys, i would like to introduce myself, my name is yonathan faber, i'm 28 years old and just left my work to start a new business.

i'm taking off to Europe in a couple of weeks and my first stop is in Italy, I will be taking the train from one place to another and my main question is, can I take my bike with me on the trains in Europe or I will have to disassemble it and put it on the case? I just don't want to go trough this process over and over again (city to city).

Best,

yoni

In some places you can. Maybe carry a big "IKEA" style bag with you just in case you need to remove the wheels and carry it?

As a general rule the more "North" and "West" you are, the more bike friendly the place is gonna be, but the worst the weather will be (especially in the winter).

The more "South" and "East" you go, the less the cycling provisions are, but the weather for cycling improves.
wink.png

I'm not sure about Italy.

In Britain you require to book your bike on trains in advance or you risk not being able to take it on. I believe mainland Europe is more cycle friendly, but wether you can just hop on with your bike I do not know.

Well, since Europe is not a united and single country you will face some problems. Each country has different laws so you will have to check the laws for each country you are planning to visit.