Cycling in France- advice on law

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Al_mossah, May 6, 2003.

  1. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Hi,

    Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?

    Thanks.

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?

    If they are compulsory then no-one in France pays any attention to that law.

    ! ! ! !

  3. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    On Tue, 06 May 2003 15:45:05 +0000, al_Mossah wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter

    They are not, although they might become so. There is a law proposal asking for that, and a big
    debate on fr.misc.transport.velo.

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    jacques <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 06 May 2003 15:45:05 +0000, al_Mossah wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Peter

    Nope, it's up to you.

    --
    Mark

  5. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?

    I don't know about the law, just wear one! (OK, I'm biased, several -57 reg'd "Frontaliers" tried to
    kill me this morning - as usual).

  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?

    "compulsory"?

    In France?

    Is anything?

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  7. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I believe that smoking is. Anything else?

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1ful7ro.hko0t91dasfjvN%[email protected]...
    > al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?
    > >

    > "compulsory"?
    >
    > In France?
    >
    > Is anything?
    >
    > --
    > Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    > http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  8. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003 15:28:14 +0000 (UTC), al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1ful7ro.hko0t91dasfjvN%[email protected]...
    >> al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    >> > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?
    >> >

    >> "compulsory"?
    >>
    >> In France?
    >>
    >> Is anything?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    >> http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
    >
    > I believe that smoking is. Anything else?

    Reformatted: Please don't top-post.

    On the local train service from Avignon to Nimes a couple of weeks ago there were only about three
    people in the smoking carriage while the non-smoking carriage was full.

    Regards,

    Tim.

  9. Tim [email protected] wrote: ( al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote: ) > I
    believe that smoking is. Anything else? ( ) On the local train service from Avignon to Nimes a
    couple of weeks ago ( there were only about three people in the smoking carriage while the )
    non-smoking carriage was full.

    These are not in conflict: the majority of smokers seem to prefer not to be kippered in a smoking
    car, but to inhabit seats in the breathable cars, bring lungfuls of the stuff back with them from
    their visits to the gasper. The second best thing Chris Green ever did to the West Coast Main Line
    was to make Virgin trains breathable throughout.

  10. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter

    No they are not compulsory. I live here.

  11. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003 15:57:06 +0000 (UTC), Geraint Jones
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Tim [email protected] wrote: ( al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote: ) >
    > I believe that smoking is. Anything else? ( ) On the local train service from Avignon to Nimes a
    > couple of weeks ago ( there were only about three people in the smoking carriage while the )
    > non-smoking carriage was full.
    >
    > These are not in conflict: the majority of smokers seem to prefer not to be kippered in a smoking
    > car, but to inhabit seats in the breathable cars, bring lungfuls of the stuff back with them from
    > their visits to the gasper. The second best thing Chris Green ever did to the West Coast Main Line
    > was to make Virgin trains breathable throughout.

    This may be true in general but certainly wasn't true for this train in particular which had no
    connecting door between the carriages. (It was noticable that the guard was checking the tickets
    before the train left the station :)

    Regards,

    Tim.

  12. On Wed, 7 May 2003 18:52:15 +0200, Ric wrote:
    > I live here.

    I live here too. In fact, I am always here. Even whem I'm there, I'm here.

  13. > > >

    > > "compulsory"?
    > >
    > > In France?
    > >
    > > Is anything?
    > >
    > > -Long lunches long holidays Cliff

  14. W K

    W K Guest

    "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the law wrt the wearing of helmets in France. I don't think that they are
    > > compulsory, but can anyone confirm this?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >
    > No they are not compulsory. I live here.

    Ask a French person whether spare bulbs in cars, safety triangles and first aid kits are compulsory.

    I'd imagine its only daft English tourists who would make an effort to carry them all.