Cycling in France

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dawnriser, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Dawnriser

    Dawnriser Guest

    We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and staying
    near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice before we set off?

    Barrie

  2. PK

    PK Guest

    Dawnriser wrote:
    > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and
    > staying near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice
    > before we set off?

    cycle on the right

    pk

  3. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dawnriser wrote:
    > > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and
    > > staying near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice
    > > before we set off?

    > cycle on the right

    and turn the pedals in the other direction

  4. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Dawnriser wrote:
    >> > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and
    >> > staying near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice
    >> > before we set off?

    >> cycle on the right
    >>

    > and turn the pedals in the other direction

    Take your passport.

  5. Take a good map and plan your route in advance as French signposting
    > can be erratic.

    What??

    It's the best signposting I've ever seen anywhere.

  6. Woody

    Woody Guest

    "Dawnriser" <barrieatbarstep.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and staying
    > near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice before we set off?
    >
    > Barrie

    You will enjoy the empty roads and (mostly) considerate motorists. If I
    remember correctly where Angers is the roads will be undulating but not too
    hilly. Take a good map and plan your route in advance as French signposting
    can be erratic. Make use of the pleasant roadside cafes which are usually
    friendly towards cyclists.

    Woody

  7. Dawnriser

    Dawnriser Guest

    Is it obligatory top ride with a string of onions around our necks too?

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:15:58 GMT, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>

    >>> cycle on the right
    >>>

    >> and turn the pedals in the other direction
    >>

    > Take your passport.

  8. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Dawnriser <barrieatbarstep.co.uk> opined the following...
    > Is it obligatory top ride with a string of onions around our necks too?

    When some friends and I went on a riding holiday around France (Well...
    a little bit of it!) we had a plastic onion on a ribbon. It would be
    awarded to the rider who had excelled themselves for some reason and had
    to be worn until the first coffee stop the following day. This provided
    great hilarity as the awards ceremonies were usually carried out during
    dinner in a restaurant.

    It still hangs off my door at my parent's house.

    Jon

  9. Are you sure you were in france!
    "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Take a good map and plan your route in advance as French signposting
    > > can be erratic.

    > What??
    >
    > It's the best signposting I've ever seen anywhere.

  10. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Dawnriser" <barrieatbarstep.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Is it obligatory top ride with a string of onions around our necks too?

    I'm not sure whether they top post in France or not ...

  11. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Dawnriser <barrieatbarstep.co.uk> opined the following...

    > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and staying
    > near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice before we set off?

    Have fun? The Loire valley is very pretty. Good wine IIRC (Although to
    be honest, when the sun is out, all wine is good!).

    Jon

  12. AndyMorris

    AndyMorris Guest

    Woody wrote:
    > Take a good map and plan your route in advance as
    > French signposting can be erratic.

    They do it differently:

    Firstly signs tend to be to the nearest small place, not the next big place
    where you want to be going.

    Secondly signs tend to point across the road that you want to go down,
    rather than in the direction that you want to go.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  13. DigiKid

    DigiKid Guest

    "Dawnriser" <barrieatbarstep.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and staying
    > near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice before we set off?
    >
    > Barrie
    > --

    Went cycling nearby around Saumur last year, which is in the Loire to the
    east of Angers. The tourist office in the town centre had a selection of
    largely off road bike trails in leaflet form, and a booklet of 10 trails for
    sale (in english).

    Might be worth asking if they have anything similar at the tourist office
    (or syndicat d'initiative) in Angers.

    John

  14. Dawnriser wrote:

    > We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and staying
    > near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice before we set off?

    Herewith my 1996 experience [1]:

    Watch out for shop closing times, which may differ from that to which
    you are used [2], and leave you stranded foodless.

    Motorists are generally much more considerate than in the UK. Just watch
    out for the British tourists.

    I don't think there are many such junctions remaining, but beware of the
    old-fashioned "priority from the right" junctions where cars can just
    pull out on you.

    [1] http://tranchant.plus.com/cycling/france-1996/
    [2] Being a grammar pedant can be awkward at times

    --
    Mark.

  15. MidBunchLurker

    MidBunchLurker New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    1. the roads along the loire are nice and flat
    2. do some chateau hopping - there's lots around

  16. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:36:16 +0100, Dawnriser <barrieatbarstep.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >We are travelling to France this weekend - taking the bikes and staying
    >near Angers. Does anyone have any experience/advice before we set off?
    >
    >Barrie

    Look out for the Yank in the yellow shirt coming up fast behind you?

    --
    Best regards
    Richard

    http://www.ceresgames.co.uk/

  17. >
    > You will enjoy the empty roads and (mostly) considerate motorists. If I
    > remember correctly where Angers is the roads will be undulating but not

    too
    > hilly. Take a good map and plan your route in advance as French

    signposting
    > can be erratic. (big snip)

    French signposting is superb!

    Avoid N roads. Go for D roads except for those beginning with 9 (eg D901).
    The roads will be quiet.

    Keep your Camembert in saddle bag for a day - the taste will be improved
    immeasurably.

    Try to speak French however badly.

    Use camping municipale - good value and quality.

    Cliff

  18. On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:10:59 +0100, "AndyMorris"
    <[email protected].pol.co.uk>:

    >They do it differently:
    >Firstly signs tend to be to the nearest small place, not the next big place
    >where you want to be going.
    >Secondly signs tend to point across the road that you want to go down,
    >rather than in the direction that you want to go.

    And thirdly, they have signs :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  19. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "Clifford Griffiths" <[email protected] luncheonmeatblueyonder.co.uk> writes:

    >Use camping municipale - good value and quality.

    And when registering ask for "jetons pour le douche"
    (may be la instead of le but nobody ever complained ;)

    Roos