cycling in italia

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by stevie b, May 19, 2005.

1. stevie b

stevie b New Member

Have any of you guy's cycled in italy,i'm heading off there in july and thought i;d your opinion of the place

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Best place on earth. Of course, this is a completely unbiaised opinion. ;)

Ehm, cycling how? Cycling where? Cycling for how long? You are a bit vague...

3. stevie b

stevie b New Member

Little place half way between firenze and sienna and to be honest i cannot wait, do you have any experience of tuscany?. its not strictly a cycling holiday that i'm going on but i've managed to convince her to let me take the bike,in return she's managed to convince me to take her mum and dad( i'm not sure who got the best deal.:rolleyes:

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

That is a great area for riding, lots of wonderful roads, riders, and nice things to see (and eat!). Lots of rolling hills, so train before you go out. You will have a lot of fun, just be careful because it can get very hot in the summer... stop in the small town bars and enjoy a cold drink...

Happy riding!

Let me know if you want to know anything more specific.

5. dbianucci

dbianucci New Member

I've cycled Tuscany multiple times and it truly is cycling heaven. I have family there, so I get turned on to the local rides. But you can't go wrong in Tuscany if you are out in the countryside. In addition to the cycling, you have beautiful scenery and amazing cuisine. San Gimignano is a must see, as is Siena, Volterra and the other hilltop towns. Coltibuono is a neat stop as well. If you get a chance, get down to Greve to enjoy some Chianti. Reply to this post if you would like to email direct and I can share more with you. Safe travels and safe cycling.

Den

6. JCK

JCK New Member

Here's my advice......First, ditch mom and dad. Second, ditch her. Finally, take a real cycling holiday in Italy. It's too much fun to do it any other way!

7. ridemontaione

ridemontaione New Member

I would recommend in any case to come in Tuscany in spring time or autumn to enjoy the best from a cycling holiday. Summer time can be very hot and can affect you bike trips.
    [​IMG]

8. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

I've organised this year holiday to Italy in August.

After flying into Milan, I am driving to Corvara in the Dolomites. Then off to Prato allo Stelvio for a few days then onto Bormio in the Ortler Alps.

Like you, I'm so excited, I'm busting. Can't wait.

9. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

Been in the Dolomites at Corvara for a week now. Had six days riding, two in the rain. One day over passo Gaiu it was -4 and snowing. I thought I was going to die. Other than that we have been blessed. Sunshine and cool. The vistas are to die for, words can't describe it. Look at images and then double the impact. Climbed everything around Corvara from both sides. Passo Erbe and Fedaia probably are stand outs. They are all manageable, even enjoyable. Most Passos are between 2100 and 2200 metres. Most start at about 1500 metres, a couple at 1100 metres. Typical grades are 8* up to 15*. Having a ball riding everyday, stopping for a pasta for lunch in a roadside restauranta and then drinking way too much at night. Now to be a little controversial. The Italian wymmens are nice but the French wymmens were way more classy and stylish. But crickey it is hard keeping up appearances with the Italian cyclists. They dress, match and have etiquette for everything. They all look like pros, some even ride like them too. I can not believe how good the drivers are. They all leave room, wait to pass, never blast the horn. It is so different to Sydney, paradise. A few more days and we off to the big stuff in the Ortlers, staying in Bormio. Take care and keep the rubber side down. Scott

10. GeoTo

GeoTo New Member

Try going through the orchards of the Cinqua Terra. Absolutely stunning.

11. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

Sad to say that my journey is coming to an end. Now in Milan. Had a great day yesterday cycling around the city doing all the normal tourist stuff. Then went to San Siro and watched AC Milan beat Lazio 3-1. The crowd and atmosphere was mad. Torri di Fraele is a small, quiet out and back jewel of Bormio. I have never ridden such short, flat switchbacks, they were a hoot. The photo of them from the top leaves Alpe du Huez for dead. Lago Cancano was nice. We even rode the 20km around then on the gravel. My favourite ride in the Ortlers was probably the anti clockwise loop of Mortirolo and Gavia. After the effortless descent from Bormio to Mazzo di Valtellina, my challenge started. I had the mossy, shaded laneway up Mortirolo all to myself. At Pantani's monument, I finally saw two noisy Italian families enjoying their day out. They took my photo and Mamma wouldn't give my camera back till she got a kiss on both cheeks. We all loved it. After plummeting down into Monno, I had an uneventfull 18km steady rise up to the base of Gavia. The weather was perfect giving huge majestic views over the massive gorges. As I rose the fog thickened. It was billowing up the valley, over the road and me. It gave a errie surreal feel to this place. Another reminder how quickly the weather can change and how unforgiving it can be. As I reached to pass, I could see the clear skies and sun shine down to Santa Caterina. Bombed down the valley and back to Bormio. I considered to then struggle and claw my way up Stelvio but thought better of it. Too fatigued. Anyway, no regrets, another ride moved from the bucket list to the bragging list.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Thanks for posting those updates, Scott.

Your posts made for very interesting reading. I was very envious of your trip to Italia, if I am honest!

13. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

Thanks. We have cycled through Vietnam. Loved every bit of it.

Sorry but will not being doing tours through your company for reasons I stated above. Thanks for the offer anyway.

PS: I dont mind cyclist promoting good product but when 100% of their posts are just that, it is annoying. How about you contribute a bit about your own personal cycling knowledge and happenings?

14. snowcoveredjc

snowcoveredjc New Member

Hi Scott

(New to forum!)

This is exactly what I am wanting to do - having a few different bases and going out and back each day.

I was wondering if you took your own bike over, or if you hired? If you took your own, how did you manage it? If hired, did you encounter any issues that are worth noting?

Just looking to soak up as much info as possible as I'm really keen to get planning!

15. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

Quote:Originally Posted by snowcoveredjc .Hi Scott

(New to forum!)

This is exactly what I am wanting to do - having a few different bases and going out and back each day.

I was wondering if you took your own bike over, or if you hired? If you took your own, how did you manage it? If hired, did you encounter any issues that are worth noting?

Just looking to soak up as much info as possible as I'm really keen to get planning!

This trip, we all took our own bikes. The advantage of taking your own bike is it is cheaper (unless your bike is damaged by burley baggage handlers) and better to ride your own steed. The advantage of hiring is the lack of worry packing and potential bike damage. No hassle with lugging luggage, especially if you have a leg of your holiday that is not bike related. If you have a group of riders and car space is a premium, hiring not only helps with the bike itself but also boxes and bike bags. Both Italy & France have good quality bikes for hire. They were all 105 & Utegra groups, moderately new carbon jobs. We hired in Bourg d'Oisans. I am pretty sure they were 35 euro a day but we negotiated to 25 euro a day for multiple days & bikes. There are about a half dozen shops wanting your business unless you are there in peak season or TDF. No issues with hiring. Just it is much nicer riding your own bike. Some shops charge extra for pedals. I suggest you take your own, especially if yours are not extremely common. Obviously take your own helmet. They also only provide one bottle & cage. If you want or need two, take one along or you will have to purchase one over there. Punctures are rare over there (no smashed glass & truck tyre wire) but if you you do, I dont know how you will go with the pump they provide. It was so small! I suggest you also take your own proven bike pump. Where do you plan to visit & ride?

16. snowcoveredjc

snowcoveredjc New Member

Thanks! This is really great info. I've googled and searched a lot and always get differing info specifically on hire vs. take your own. I guess we're still torn. Don't mind bringing as much of my own gear as possible, but just paranoid about arriving over there to have my frame in a million pieces. I know those are the rare horror stories, but is still possible and I can tend to focus on the worst possible scenario...

At this moment, Italy and France are the destinations. Particularly either south of France and/or the Dolomites/Alps (lineage from Trento, so keen to be 'round that area). We probably will have a part, maybe a week or so, that is more chilled and not peddling but that's still TBD. We're in early stages.

17. Tayla188

Tayla188 New Member

I can't wait for my holiday end of the year to Italy I've heard it's amazing over there to ride your bike and especially through the mountains

18. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

Quote:Originally Posted by Tayla188 .I can't wait for my holiday end of the year to Italy I've heard it's amazing over there to ride your bike and especially through the mountains

I'm not sure of your plan but "end of the year" is winter in Italy. In the mountains, snow skiing will be in full swing and many passos will be closed.

19. JSWin

JSWin Member

Oh that is funny. Getting someone to let you take your bicycle and then they turn around to say they want you to taker their parents too. Lol People are so strange. Now there's a sign of maturity. You just take the bike and ask them if they would like to take theirs or rent. Italy sounds nice to tour. You'd get to enjoy a lot on a bike too.

20. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

I've visited Italy but never got round to cycling there. Definitely a missed opportunity, as the countryside is a absolutely stunning. I think Italy is one of those countries that is ideal for cycling but I'm still weary about the drivers there. They're typically hot headed and not the kind of drivers that take road safety seriously. So enjoy your trip to Italy, it's going to be great. But do be cautious when you're on Italian roads.