Cycling in Italy

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by James Zwiebel, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. We'll be in northwestern Italy the first week of July to do some road cycling. Would anyone be able
    to share cue sheets for the Lombardy, Piemonte, alpine and/or lake regions? We're interested in
    50-80 mile rides in those areas.

    Thanks!

    Jamie Zwiebel

    Tags:

  2. Tomp

    Tomp Guest

    Here's a tour company that goes to those regions.

    http://www.cycleitalia.com/

    --

    Tp

    -------- __o ----- -\<. ------ __o --- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<. ----------------- ( ) / ( )

    Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    James Zwiebel writes:

    > We'll be in northwestern Italy the first week of July to do some road cycling. Would anyone be
    > able to share cue sheets for the Lombardy, Piemonte, alpine and/or lake regions? We're interested
    > in 50-80 mile rides in those areas.

    You might peruse the descriptions of various stages of the rides described in the Trento Bike pages:

    http://tinyurl.com/adls

    You might put a couple of destinations high on your list:

    Stelvio, Gavia, and Bernina Passes, as well as any part of the Dolomites heading to Cortina
    d'Ampezzo.

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    James Zwiebel writes:

    > We'll be in northwestern Italy the first week of July to do some road cycling. Would anyone be
    > able to share cue sheets for the Lombardy, Piemonte, alpine and/or lake regions? We're interested
    > in 50-80 mile rides in those areas.

    You might peruse the descriptions of various stages of the rides described in the Trento Bike pages:

    http://tinyurl.com/adls

    I think you should put a couple of destinations high on your list:

    Stelvio, Gavia, and Bernina Passes, as well as any part of the Dolomites heading to Cortina
    d'Ampezzo.

  5. Allan Nelson

    Allan Nelson Guest

    Hi James There's a tour of 'some of' the Dolomites and over into Austria written up here...
    http://www.a-nelson.dircon.co.uk/bike2002/index.htm which might be useful. There's a route map there
    for each days cycling we
    did.Cheeers... Allan.

    > James Zwiebel writes:
    >
    > We'll be in northwestern Italy the first week of July to do some road cycling. Would anyone be
    > able to share cue sheets for the Lombardy, Piemonte, alpine and/or lake regions? We're interested
    > in 50-80 mile rides in those areas.

  6. Peter R

    Peter R Guest

    i have ridden in piemonte a number of times, and will return there in two weeks for another trip.
    don't worry about cue sheets. either pick up a touring club italiano (TCI) map of the region,
    1:200,000, or in any of the towns look for maps that are 1:100,000. unlike france where there are
    good centralized sources for IGN maps, in italy things are less organized. given that, there are a
    good set of maps for the piemonte area that are 1:100,000 and will let you pick out routes.

    buon viaggio,

    peter