Cycling in Lausanne, Switzerland

rtsy

Jul 30, 2003
Anyone on the board who have experienced cycling/living in Lausanne?

A lot of the stuff I read give me the impression that it's an extremely biker-friendly place but I still have a bunch of unanswered questions.

Can anyone recommend a nice group (real or virtual) to join for events there?

How about bike shops w/ good mechanics, any inputs?

How are bike stuff prices in Switzerland compared to U.S.?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm an absolute newbie w/ a stock Giant NRS3. I've ridden about 1,000km thus far.

rtsy,

Have you heard back from anyone? I'm also moving to Lausanne and would like to get a feel for how easy/safe it is for road riding there.

rtsy said:
Anyone on the board who have experienced cycling/living in Lausanne?

A lot of the stuff I read give me the impression that it's an extremely biker-friendly place but I still have a bunch of unanswered questions.

Can anyone recommend a nice group (real or virtual) to join for events there?

How about bike shops w/ good mechanics, any inputs?

How are bike stuff prices in Switzerland compared to U.S.?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm an absolute newbie w/ a stock Giant NRS3. I've ridden about 1,000km thus far.

I just moved to Singapore from Switzerland after nearly 5 years (2.5 in Montreux, 2.5 in Fribourg).

From all of my experiences, there are few places better in the world for cyclists than Switzerland. The lac leman area especially has some really fantastic riding.

As far as the shops are concerned, I know the Montreux, Vevey and Aigle area much better than I do Lausanne, though I've been to two shops in Lausanne and found them quite decent (both near the train station, on the road which heads down to Ouchy). If you do have a bit of mobility, try Sams bike store in La Tour de Peilz (between Vevey and Montreux) and Doms in Aigle. Aigle is where the UCI has its headquarters, and Doms works closely with them - its one of the top shops in CH.

As for rides, there is no shortage. Try the stretches demarcated as national routes. You'll find the info on www.myswitzerland.com and a dedicated site, who's name I can't recall at the moment. A fantastic ride is the national route 1 from lausanne along the lake through montreux, aigle, monthey, etc.. (you can take it all the way into upper valais).

As for groups, there are plenty. Some attached to shops, others independent. There is a TT tour around lac leman in early june. It's very popular, and the website has a forum with some regular activity. You could inquire about groups there, though asking at a shop is probably the best bet.

Price wise, CH is not good. I got all my cycling gear (and other things as well) from Germany. Prices there, especially at some shops, are amongst the best in the world because of the huge market (far lower than in the US). If you have a car, a day trip to the city of Freiburg in Breisgau is well worth it - beautiful, great food, and one of the cheapest bike shops around (bike palast). Check out the web-site of their sister store's website in Switzerland. They do only online, but are often half the price as other stores. I've gotten things from them, can certainly recommend...

Good luck, and enjoy! As I said, the area is fantastic for cycling, and otherwise a wonderful place to live.

All the best,
Kai