Cycling in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Hey there,

    We are moving from Australia to Lexington KY and are hoping to live
    car-free. Can anyone tell us what cycling facilities in Lexington are
    like, where we can find maps of bike routes and generally if the
    lay-out of the city is suitable for living car-free?

    Cheers.

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    http://www.bgcycling.org/

    That's a start. It's not going to be terribly progressive bike wise
    compared to the coastal cities and Chicago, but with a home in a
    convenient location, it can be done anywhere. For those times you
    absolutely need to have a car, rent. Treat it as a luxury. I'm not car
    free now, but used to be for years, and I'd rent a brand new small car
    twice a month for $50 a pop or so. Felt great, got a shiny new car to
    drive when I needed it, but no stress and no payment.

  3. Renting a car occassionally is a likely outcome for us.

    Are there commuting bike routes in Lexington? Is cycling along the main
    streets safe? Will I be able to tow my kids in a trailer without too
    much hassle?

  4. landotter

    landotter Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Renting a car occassionally is a likely outcome for us.
    >
    > Are there commuting bike routes in Lexington? Is cycling along the main
    > streets safe? Will I be able to tow my kids in a trailer without too
    > much hassle?

    I don't know about Lexington, but I'm in Nashville a city that's a
    couple hours to the south of Lexington. In the neighborhood where I
    live cycling is fine, except for a few rednecks that'll try to honk and
    generally be rude. Downtown cycling is fine as well, I think the bike
    cops have helped with that. Some of the arterials are a bit nerve
    wracking, but doable if you have a bit of moxie--wouldn't even think
    about pulling a trailer with kids on one.

    Only thing I know about Lexington compared to here, is that people say
    it's "hipper" and "younger" in some sort of way. :p Sounds promising.
    :D

    Biggest problem is usually plain old grocery shopping, as the cool,
    easy to bike urban neighborhoods can be a bit sparse in the food store
    department, so if you haven't found a place yet, get strategic. ;)

    Contact the cycling club, they will be more than happy to help you out,
    and mind, while southerners aren't big on bikes, they're big on
    friendliness, so when in doubt in traffic, smile at folks, and often
    they'll give you a big 'ole mouthfull of southern hospitality back.

    It's absolutely gorgeous country up there, you're sure to enjoy it.

  5. .....
    > Contact the cycling club, they will be more than happy to help you out,
    > and mind, while southerners aren't big on bikes, they're big on
    > friendliness, so when in doubt in traffic, smile at folks, and often
    > they'll give you a big 'ole mouthfull of southern hospitality back.
    >
    > It's absolutely gorgeous country up there, you're sure to enjoy it.

    Will contact the Bluegrass Cycling Club--good idea.

    And a smile can go a long way--good tip.

    What the weather like in winter for cycling in central Kentucky?

    thanks again Landotter.

  6. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    drystone wrote:
    > > Contact the cycling club, they will be more than happy to help you out,
    > > and mind, while southerners aren't big on bikes, they're big on
    > > friendliness, so when in doubt in traffic, smile at folks, and often
    > > they'll give you a big 'ole mouthfull of southern hospitality back.
    > >
    > > It's absolutely gorgeous country up there, you're sure to enjoy it.

    > Will contact the Bluegrass Cycling Club--good idea.
    >
    > And a smile can go a long way--good tip.
    >
    > What the weather like in winter for cycling in central Kentucky?

    It tends to not snow, but you might get rain.

    IIRC Lexington has a decent bus sytem, which is a plus. Most bus
    companies in the US have installed bike racks on the fronts of all
    their coaches, so you can go bi-modal.

    If you can, check out the Horsey Hundred tour (out of Georgetown) over
    Memorial weekend. It's just...wonderful.

    --Karen D.

  7. On 23 Mar 2006 18:44:46 -0800, "Veloise" <[email protected]> said:

    >Most bus
    >companies in the US have installed bike racks on the fronts of all
    >their coaches, so you can go bi-modal.

    Maybe the bus system in Lexington has, but the bus system up in the
    Covington/Newport area (TANK) has not. You can't transport a bike using TANK
    at all.

    --

    Buy my book about school bullying here:

    http://www.lulu.com/content/112781 (recommended)
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=1411626559

  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Veloise wrote:

    > drystone wrote:
    > > > Contact the cycling club, they will be more than happy to help you out,
    > > > and mind, while southerners aren't big on bikes, they're big on
    > > > friendliness, so when in doubt in traffic, smile at folks, and often
    > > > they'll give you a big 'ole mouthfull of southern hospitality back.
    > > >
    > > > It's absolutely gorgeous country up there, you're sure to enjoy it.

    > > Will contact the Bluegrass Cycling Club--good idea.
    > >
    > > And a smile can go a long way--good tip.
    > >
    > > What the weather like in winter for cycling in central Kentucky?

    > It tends to not snow, but you might get rain.
    >
    > IIRC Lexington has a decent bus sytem, which is a plus. Most bus
    > companies in the US have installed bike racks on the fronts of all
    > their coaches, so you can go bi-modal.
    >
    > If you can, check out the Horsey Hundred tour (out of Georgetown) over
    > Memorial weekend. It's just...wonderful.
    >
    > --Karen D.

    I wouldn't go so far as to say it tends not to snow in Lexington. I went to
    college there many years ago and, believe me, there was snow! And it does get
    cold.

    It happends that I was Googling just the other day and stumbled on a web site
    that documents a *proposed* "rail trail" from Fayette County (at Lexington)
    through several counties to the east of Lexington (through and beyond Rowan
    County. That's a pretty good distance. Helluva lot longer than my local rail
    trail (2 miles). The info. was a year or two old, as I recall, and I don't know
    if the trail was built.

    Much of Lexington's industry is located around the perimeter of the city,
    clustered around a circular 4-lane (interstate highway) called New Circle Road.
    You can scream along at highway speeds all day without ever being more than a
    couple miles from downtown Lexington!

    --
    Michael

  9. Sid

    Sid Guest

    Geez, why beat around the bush. It gets colder than a witches you-know-what
    in Kentucky. I just spent 3 weeks at Fort Knox and for this Texas boy it
    was downright frigid. It rained often too. Of course, if it get below 50
    degrees Fahrenheit I start whining ;-) Now, those Yankees are use to that
    kind of weather and seem to tolerate it more, or just don't know any better.
    Of course with Global Warming and all, you may be sweating more than
    shivering in the near future.

    Even though I didn't have my bike with me I did take note of the road
    conditions around Fort Knox, Louisville and Bardstown areas from a cyclist
    viewpoint. The pavement was well maintained and smooth on the back country
    roads with light traffic. But they were also quite narrow with no shoulder
    to speak of. I didn't see many cyclists (like I said it was cold most of
    the time), but I did see some Amish people going down the roads in horse
    drawn buggies. That was kind of encouraging, to know that you are not the
    only slow moving vehicle on the road.

    Now as for the attitude of the locals towards cyclist, it may be different
    in the cities, but they recently had a court case where lady cyclist on a
    rural road was run over by a guy passing her in the pickup truck pulling a
    trailer and the jury found in favor of the driver because they felt the
    cyclist should have "pulled off the road to get out of the driver's way". I
    don't think the driver was ever ticketed by a Kentucky law officer. The
    appeals court agreed with the jury and it wasn't until the case went to the
    Kentucky Supreme court that common sense and respect for the law prevailed
    and the decision was reversed in favor of the cyclist. What a bunch of
    idiots there were on that jury! Anyway, I don't want to alarm you, but
    thought you should be informed. For more about that case see
    http://www.louisvillebicycleclub.org/jan06/advocacy.htm

    Sid

  10. Veloise wrote:

    > IIRC Lexington has a decent bus sytem, which is a plus. Most bus
    > companies in the US have installed bike racks on the fronts of all
    > their coaches, so you can go bi-modal.

    Yes, you're right--I found http://www.lfucg.com/PlanDiv/bitb/urban.asp

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Ky is the capital of Car, and bike chasing DOGS. I lived in jackson ky 30
    miles east of lexington 4 yrs. and man I'll tellyou it is a cold place. the
    winds whip around those hills like no tomorrow! Never saw so many loose dogs
    in all my life! A one pound can of bear repellant, and a hockey stick on the
    bike is recommended. Not to scare you, I'm totally serious bout this. You
    will need some aritc mountain climbing clothing to withstand the elements
    their along with some WARM BOOTS.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey there,
    >
    > We are moving from Australia to Lexington KY and are hoping to live
    > car-free. Can anyone tell us what cycling facilities in Lexington are
    > like, where we can find maps of bike routes and generally if the
    > lay-out of the city is suitable for living car-free?
    >
    > Cheers.

  12. Thanks Dave for the advice. Dogs are a major enemy of cyclists. Bear
    repellant--I've never heard of that--where do I get some?

    You mention hills but I had the feeling Lexington is pretty flat--what
    are the hills like?

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    They have some hills. The best place for bear repellant is
    defensedevices.com No connection just a very happy customer, they are great
    people out of tn. If you download a copy of jdmcox.com map software (totally
    free) and punch in lexington, ky you can see a arial photo of the hills,
    They are their

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks Dave for the advice. Dogs are a major enemy of cyclists. Bear
    > repellant--I've never heard of that--where do I get some?
    >
    > You mention hills but I had the feeling Lexington is pretty flat--what
    > are the hills like?

  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    BTW when I lived in Jackson, KY we (the students) got warned about wild dogs
    that run in packs. We always carried large sticks, and pocket fulls of rocks
    just in case. They are not wolves, just plain old wild dogs on the loose.
    Problem is rabies you just never know, and if you get bit the CDC will keep
    you in quarantine in the hospital for longer than you like until you are
    deemed safe to enter the population or unless they catch the dog and test it
    and it's negative. I don't want to scare anyone but this is serious
    business. Usually you will get those very painful rabies shots, I forget the
    details but I'm sure someone knows about those.

    I just got back from johnson city tn. north of the smoky mountains. They are
    second to Ky for dogs!! My buddy got chased by 3, fortunately I did not but
    they have alot of loose ones.