Cycling in Malta

LordLeighGungie

Mar 9, 2009
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of cycling in Malta?

I'm going to be there on holidays in October for a coupleof weeks.
Are there any good bike shops that will hire out a decent bike?
Are helmets compulsary?
Other than the mad Maltese traffic, I think I'd enjoy a ride around the place.

So should I pack a pair of knicks and a jersey or forget it.

LordLeighGungie said:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of cycling in Malta?

I'm going to be there on holidays in October for a coupleof weeks.
Are there any good bike shops that will hire out a decent bike?
Are helmets compulsary?
Other than the mad Maltese traffic, I think I'd enjoy a ride around the place.

So should I pack a pair of knicks and a jersey or forget it.

Hi
I am not a professional cycler but if you really want a professional advice you could send an email to [email protected] he will surely guide you.

Moreover, should you want to maximise your visit time in Malta. With the CityGuide you would be like having a car GPS device that will guide from one attraction to the next.

Enjoy every detail of history during your stay whilst you roam around like a local.

Get free ebooks from Cultel.com - Holidays Malta

Cultel.com - Holidays Malta explains it all

Cycling in Malta is a great idea. Many tourists tend to rely on tour operators to show them around, but this usually leads to them missing out on the best places, which aren't accessible by bus. Being guided by Maltese cyclists is the best way to see the island and you needn't worry about the cars as you'll be passing through country roads and paths.

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

daniels898 said:
Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Newcomers are always welcome! If you are interested in cycling in Malta or enjoy a passion for cycling you are in the right place! :)

Hi Gungle, i cycle on Malta every year when i visit my family. There are no signposted routes, but there are enough trails. Even the smaller roads are good trails because of the bad state most roads are in! The south is more rural and therefore nice to cycle. Beware of dogs at the entrance of farms and more secluded areas. Shouting "Asalem" mostly scares them away! If you have time, go cycling on Gozo. This island is smaller and more hilly. A one or two day visit is enough to cycle past all the touristic sites.
On Sundays groups collect at Bathroom Design at Birkirkara (big roundabout) to go cycling together. The start early in summer. Via searching "cycling on Malta" on google you can find a Maltese forum to ask if you can join.
There are a few good shops these days. I always do business at Mosta, Magri cycles. Find then on internet and give Paul Magri a call for renting a bike.
All together, if you like cycling it is worthwhile to spent your holiday cycling on Malta and Gozo a couple of days.
I will be on Malta untill 17 oktober, so if you want we can join up and trail a few together!

Hi there,
I've been cycling in Malta twice over the last year. The first time I took a 'Rough Edge' trip with a group at Malta by bike (http://www.maltabybike.com/). The second time, I used this company again, this time to rent a bicycle. Sergio delivered an almost new Raleigh bike with safety helmet and locks included. He delivered and collected straight to my hotel, and this was free, so I didn't have to worry about transporting the bikes. As I was staying in Bugibba, I cycled mainly in the st paul's area and by the golden sands beach, which was gorgeous. I'd highly recommend cycling in Malta. Enjoy!

Hi there,
I've been cycling in Malta twice over the last year. The first time I took a 'Rough Edge' trip with a group at Malta by bike (http://www.maltabybike.com/). The second time, I used this company again, this time to rent a bicycle. Sergio delivered an almost new Raleigh bike with safety helmet and locks included. He delivered and collected straight to my hotel, and this was free, so I didn't have to worry about transporting the bikes. As I was staying in Bugibba, I cycled mainly in the st paul's area and by the golden sands beach, which was gorgeous. I'd highly recommend cycling in Malta. Enjoy!

Hi Guys,

If you want to go out cycling in Malta, but don't want to go alone or want an experienced local to tour you round the best places, click like on the following facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycling-Malta/471626249567938

Here anyone who's planning a cycling trip can post the date, time & place, and anyone else can join in.
The idea is to bring cyclists together and have fun doing what we love most, in a group.

The page is open to mountain-bikers of all levels.

Malta is a superb place for mountain-biking, the island is small and therefore everywhere can be reached on a bicycle and it boasts some stunning landscapes and world heritage sites. For more photos check out the facebook page.

See you all on your saddles
John