Cycling in Morzine

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Mar 26, 2006.

  1. I'm going to be cycling in Morzine in May. Can anyone tell me if a bus
    or train runs from Geneva International Airport to Morzine during the
    month of May? I have searched several sites for bus/train schedules
    but either there is no public transportation between these two cities
    in May, or the schedule for that time period has not yet been
    published. When I communicate with the tourist office in Morzine, they
    refer me to the Altibus site, but there is no information there for
    May.

    Also, can anyone make a suggestion for the best way to get to
    Interlaken from Morzine?

    Thanks for any information.

    Ken

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm going to be cycling in Morzine in May. Can anyone tell me if a bus
    > or train runs from Geneva International Airport to Morzine during the
    > month of May? I have searched several sites for bus/train schedules
    > but either there is no public transportation between these two cities
    > in May, or the schedule for that time period has not yet been
    > published. When I communicate with the tourist office in Morzine, they
    > refer me to the Altibus site, but there is no information there for
    > May.
    >
    > Also, can anyone make a suggestion for the best way to get to
    > Interlaken from Morzine?

    http://www.bahn.de has a good train information system

    The Swiss one is none too shabby either

    http://www.sbb.ch/en/

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:20:13 -0800, mega_toad wrote:

    > I'm going to be cycling in Morzine in May. Can anyone tell me if a bus or
    > train runs from Geneva International Airport to Morzine during the month
    > of May?

    I used to live in Geneva. There are no direct trains from the Geneva
    Airport railway station to the Morzine area.
    However, there is another station across town called Geneve Eaux-Vives.
    It is a bit of a smaller affair, and as I recall trains leave to Chamonix
    from there.

    I'm not sure about buses. The coach station in Geneva is just off the Rue
    de Mont Blanc in the centre of town, shouldn't be too difficult to cycle
    there from the airport.

    I hate to say it but me, I would price up an Easycar rental car from the
    airport. You have to pick them up from the car park of the Palexpo next
    door. The airport has an on ramp to the motorway.

  4. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:20:13 -0800, mega_toad wrote:

    > I'm going to be cycling in Morzine in May. Can anyone tell me if a bus or
    > train runs from Geneva International Airport to Morzine during the month
    > of May?

    Looks like there is a train from Geneva Eaux-Vives to Thonon, which
    involves a change at Annemasse. Journey time 44 minutes.
    To get to Eaux-Vives from the airport you will have to cycle across town,
    which isn't impossible.

    No idea about Morzine to Interlaken, but there are trains from Geneva
    Airport. Sho

  5. Thanks for the links!
    I'll check them out.
    K.

  6. Thanks for the information. Public transportation isn't sounding too
    promising.
    I was actually thinking about hiring a car and may look into that now.
    K.

  7. It appears that I may need to double back to Geneva to get the train to
    Interlaken.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

    K.

  8. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > It appears that I may need to double back to Geneva to get the train to
    > Interlaken.

    'ang on, aren't you supposed to be cycling?

    /me has mostly-good memories of getting off the ferry at Ostende and
    cycling to Interlaken. Definitely no trains.

    --
    not me guv

  9. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:31:44 -0800, mega_toad wrote:

    > It appears that I may need to double back to Geneva to get the train to
    > Interlaken.

    If you haven't booked anywhere yet, why not just stay in Switzerland?
    Frequent trains to just about everywhere, cable cars to get your bike up
    high. Major train station underneath the airport.
    National network of cycle routes here:
    http://www.cycling-in-switzerland.ch/
    Sleeping in farmer's barns sounds good as well:
    http://europeforvisitors.com/switzaustria/articles/schlaf_im_stroh.htm

  10. [email protected] wrote:
    > It appears that I may need to double back to Geneva to get the train to
    > Interlaken.

    Geneva to Interlaken via Jaun Pass is a ~170 Km ride across very beautiful
    regions. The Jaun is a bit tough, but after that it's all down all
    the way to Interlaken. The problem is that it takes ~100 Km to reach the
    base of the Jaun from Geneva.

    Another option would be to take the train to Bern and then bike to Interlaken
    (flat but nice, a longer way via Langnau and Glauben is also possible) or
    - my preferred - train to Aigle and then bike via Cole de Mosses and the
    beautiful Simmental: a ride I did several times and that I have always
    enjoyed. Biking from Geneva to Aigle is of course possible: flat (along
    the lake) but long (~3 hours at sustained pace). Nice view (lakeside road)
    and some big towns to cross (Lausanne, Montreaux, Vevey).

    If instead you wish to take the train all the way, you'll find several
    connections and many rides. Just watch out: not all the trains accept
    bikes on board!

    Ciao,
    --
    Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
    Dep:pH Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen

  11. Roberto Divia wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> It appears that I may need to double back to Geneva to get the train to
    >> Interlaken.

    Actually, I have just realized where Morzine is. If biking to Interlaken is
    a viable option, then it is rather feasible. Morzine down to Thonon/Evian
    and then Aigle-Mosses-Gstaad-Interlaken: a very nice ride! If you want to
    take an extra col, then Morzine-Abondance-Morgins-Monthey-Aigle. The
    detour must take ~2 hours while the tract from Aigle to Interlaken is
    ~4 hours.

    Ciao,
    --
    Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
    Dep:pH Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen
    Route de Meyrin 385 ---------------------------------------------
    Case Postale Phone: +41-22-767-4994
    CH-1211 Geneve 23 CERN Fax: +41-22-767-9585
    Switzerland E-Mail: [email protected]

  12. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:29:45 +0200, Roberto Divia wrote:

    Hi Roberto! Good to meet someone else from CERN on the newsgroup.
    I used to live in the Old Town, then later on in Meyrin.

    I leave it up to you to tell the group that cyclists in the canton must
    have number plates :)

  13. John Hearns wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:29:45 +0200, Roberto Divia wrote:
    > Hi Roberto! Good to meet someone else from CERN on the newsgroup.

    Hi John, happy to hear from you too.

    > I leave it up to you to tell the group that cyclists in the canton must
    > have number plates :)

    Nope. We did some research on this triggered by a similar request in
    this newsgroup. What we found out is that Swiss law imposes a vignette
    (no number as such, it's just a sticker) for all *Swiss* bikes. This
    sticker gives a RC plus some sort of basic identification. Bikers not
    resident in Switzerland do not have to buy it.

    From http://www.ville-ge.ch/geneve/amenagement/site_info-velo/infos.htm:
    > La vignette vélo est une assurance RC pour les vélos. Cela signifie qu'en cas de sinistre causé à autrui avec un vélo, l’assurance couvre les frais, sans franchise, jusqu'à 500'000.- CHF (que le sinistre se produise en Suisse ou en Europe, ou en Turquie).
    > Pour les personnes résidant en Suisse, cette vignette est obligatoire. Pour les personnes domiciliées hors de Suisse, ce n'est pas le cas. Par contre si le vélo est employé régulièrement pour se rendre en Suisse, elle devient également obligatoire. Cela s'applique de surcroît si le vélo reste en Suisse (stationnement).
    > Cette situation est décrite dans le Droit sur la Circulation Routière (DCR), Ordonnance sur l'assurance des véhicules (OAV), chapitre 2, art.50
    > Pour toute question relative à la RC vignette vélo, le n° vert 0800 000 685 (assurance Generali) vous renseigne.
    > Vous pouvez acheter cette vignette à la poste, dans les postes de police, chez certains marchands de cycles, dans certains grands magasins etc...

    In short, the sticker is not mandatory for non-Swiss residents excepted
    when they use their bike regularly in Switzerland or if they park it
    in Switzerland. Just show your UK passport. In any case, in 15+ years I
    have never been checked (excepted when I had an accident, of course).

    Said that, I am happy to have mine and I recommend all bikers to get
    something equivalent (RC *and* accidents) in their country. For a
    small price it may avoid lots of troubles.

    Ciao,
    --
    Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
    Dep:pH Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen
    Route de Meyrin 385 ---------------------------------------------
    Case Postale Phone: +41-22-767-4994
    CH-1211 Geneve 23 CERN Fax: +41-22-767-9585
    Switzerland E-Mail: [email protected]

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Roberto Divia wrote:
    > John Hearns wrote:
    >> I leave it up to you to tell the group that cyclists in the canton must
    >> have number plates :)

    > Nope. We did some research on this triggered by a similar request in
    > this newsgroup. What we found out is that Swiss law imposes a vignette
    > (no number as such, it's just a sticker) for all *Swiss* bikes. This
    > sticker gives a RC plus some sort of basic identification. Bikers not
    > resident in Switzerland do not have to buy it.

    You also have to have similar stickers on all Swiss skis but I doubt
    anyone would say that skiers have to have number plates.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  15. Tony Raven wrote:
    > You also have to have similar stickers on all Swiss skis but I doubt
    > anyone would say that skiers have to have number plates.

    You mean the BPA? Those are not AFAIK mandatory. They only prove that the
    skis have been serviced...

    I'll look for more info.
    --

  16. Roberto Divia wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> You also have to have similar stickers on all Swiss skis but I doubt
    >> anyone would say that skiers have to have number plates.

    > You mean the BPA? Those are not AFAIK mandatory. They only prove that the
    > skis have been serviced...
    >
    > I'll look for more info.

    The only info I could find is here:

    http://www.bpa.ch/medias/info_medias/infomedia_2004/2004_11_09.htm

    and other copies, all saying basically the same thing. It is a
    non-mandatory, zero-legal-value proof that your skis have been
    serviced in respect of a given procedure.

    There is a mandatory sticker for cross-country skiers, but that is to
    buy the rights to use a certain resort. Like a ski-pass...

    Ciao,