Cycling in NE Iraq - Iraqi Triathlon Team

lostandfound

Mar 18, 2011
Hi folks

My first post here, please be gentle.

I've just come back from a week in NE Iraq cycling between Erbil/Suleymaniya/Dokan where I bumped into the Iraqi Triathlon Team coach and four of their athletes.

Spent a fun morning out cycling around Dokan Lake / Dokan Dam with two of them (and no, I couldn't keep up), but the point of this post is that their equipment is **** in comparison to what other countries have.

They are competing internationally with bikes you'd pick up in halfords for 800 quid. So they need some sponsors to get some better bikes and gear. Any ideas welcome. There's some issues with language so a company with a Middle East presence and Arabic/Kurdish speaker might find it easier to get what they want out of the deal

One of the athletes is 17 yeras old in a kind of muscled /toned up Justin Bieber sort of way. Should be a dream for a company looking to get a foot into Iraq or indeed any company who wants to be associated with a group of people who have overcome a ton of sh-t and our now competing with the best in the world.

Thanks for any help!

That is such a nice thought. Its a shame to see people wanting to compete and not having the proper tools to do so.
I wish i could help, i will have it in mind though, if i find anything i'll let you know.

keep it up!

Wow the hills and water are surprising, I expected the country to be flat and arid. Good on them for getting into bike racing, you should be proud for helping.

I went back last week and took a Saracen 2008 carbon frame bike (circa 2k worth in 2008) that they now have to train and compete with. It ain't exactly NASA technology but is lighty years ahead of what they have. They are hoping to take four athletes to the asian Triathlon in Taiwan later this month - I hope they do well and wish them the very best, as I am sure all members on this forum do too.

- it's an unbelievable place for a cycling swimming holiday. I had an uninterrupted 4km swim across the lake and our bikes were still there (together with my clothes and wallet!) when we returned to the shore. Try that in the UK!

lostandfound said:
- it's an unbelievable place for a cycling swimming holiday. I had an uninterrupted 4km swim across the lake and our bikes were still there (together with my clothes and wallet!) when we returned to the shore. Try that in the UK!
lucky you !

Could you recommend taking a road bike there for cycling? I am going to Erbil for 2 months and would like to try out some cycling and also swimming as you mentioned.... do you perhaps have contact details of guys I could meet up with there?

How safe is it cycling and swimming out there?