Cycling in New Zealand?

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand? I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together a week of serious climbing?

I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to Europes climbs.

Walrus wrote:
> Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand?
> I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains
> there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together
> a week of serious climbing?
>
> I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically
> want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to
> Europes climbs.

You want steep climbs? Go to Dunedin :)

Actually, I was only there a couple of days and it didn't seem that
there were many long hills, but there were certainly some very steep ones.

--
Nick

"NoZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Walrus wrote:
>> Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand?
>> I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains
>> there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together
>> a week of serious climbing?
>>
>> I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically
>> want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to
>> Europes climbs.
>>

> You want steep climbs? Go to Dunedin :)
>
> Actually, I was only there a couple of days and it didn't seem that there
> were many long hills, but there were certainly some very steep ones.

Yeah, Dunedin is one place to go, and you want to try climbing Baldwin
Street, the world's steepest street:
http://dougiamas.com/images/200101/nz/index.php?image=baldwin-street.jpg&d=d.html

Good spot for a criterium circuit.

Cheers
Peter

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand?
> I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains
> there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together
> a week of serious climbing?
>
> I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically
> want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to
> Europes climbs.
>

> --
> Walrus

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ do a search for new zealand. Heaps of
journals with lots of pics.

Adam

Walrus said:
Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand? I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together a week of serious climbing?

I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to Europes climbs.

We have only done the South Island so I do know that there is a good map place in Christchurch that has a large range of maps.
Here's a list of what we used for the South Island.
Lonely Planet's - Cycling NZ
Nigel Rushtons - Pedallers' Paradise (only covers the Sth Is)
Kiwi Minimap - a good overall map with town centre maps
1:250,000 Land information Topo maps which are interesting and give great detail but they aren't that large so you will end up carring a few and they don't give street names.
Crown range, Arthurs pass and the west coast should give you a few challenges

Cheers

Geoff

Lonely Planet have a guide to cycling NZ...

Nick

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand?
> I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains
> there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together
> a week of serious climbing?

"geoffs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

> Walrus Wrote:
>> Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand?
>> I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains
>> there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together
>> a week of serious climbing?
>>
>> I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically
>> want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to
>> Europes climbs.

> We have only done the South Island so I do know that there is a good
> map place in Christchurch that has a large range of maps.
> Here's a list of what we used for the South Island.
> Lonely Planet's - Cycling NZ
> Nigel Rushtons - Pedallers' Paradise (only covers the Sth Is)
> Kiwi Minimap - a good overall map with town centre maps
> 1:250,000 Land information Topo maps which are interesting and give
> great detail but they aren't that large so you will end up carring a
> few and they don't give street names.
> Crown range, Arthurs pass and the west coast should give you a few
> challenges
>
> Cheers
>
> Geoff
>

> --
> geoffs

Sorry Geoff to correct you,

Lonely Planet is a very poor/bad summary of the Pedallers Paradise (LP came
along at Nigel's place and the next year there was an LP Cycling NZ).
Pedallers Paradise hase a Part I and II. Yes, you guesed it right North and
South Island.
Kiwi Maps are al right, and Topo maps are the best (if you can read them).

I prefer Pedallers and next to it Topo Maps

Greetings

Olav
The Netherlands
(Done + 3200Km on South and North Island, fully loaded.)

"Olav & Marianne" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

> "geoffs" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Walrus Wrote:
>>> Can anyone give any links, info, stories about cycling in New Zealand?
>>> I'm a hill climber at heart, and there are so many bloody big mountains
>>> there...surely it's a good destination for an Aussie to string together
>>> a week of serious climbing?
>>>
>>> I know that BV have done a Tour of NZ...anyone done that? I basically
>>> want a nice location with some climbs that would be comparable to
>>> Europes climbs.

>> We have only done the South Island so I do know that there is a good
>> map place in Christchurch that has a large range of maps.
>> Here's a list of what we used for the South Island.
>> Lonely Planet's - Cycling NZ
>> Nigel Rushtons - Pedallers' Paradise (only covers the Sth Is)
>> Kiwi Minimap - a good overall map with town centre maps
>> 1:250,000 Land information Topo maps which are interesting and give
>> great detail but they aren't that large so you will end up carring a
>> few and they don't give street names.
>> Crown range, Arthurs pass and the west coast should give you a few
>> challenges
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Geoff
>>

>> --
>> geoffs
>>

> Sorry Geoff to correct you,
>
> Lonely Planet is a very poor/bad summary of the Pedallers Paradise (LP
> came along at Nigel's place and the next year there was an LP Cycling NZ).
> Pedallers Paradise hase a Part I and II. Yes, you guesed it right North
> and South Island.
> Kiwi Maps are al right, and Topo maps are the best (if you can read them).
>
> I prefer Pedallers and next to it Topo Maps
>
> Greetings
>

> Olav
> The Netherlands
> (Done + 3200Km on South and North Island, fully loaded.)

And for the MTB enthusiastics, there are some good books by the "Bike
Brothers" cant remember there names 3 brother who are lawyers i believe and
do a lot of Bike related cases.

Greetings

Olav