Cycling in Norfolk

geoffdds

Jul 9, 2006
Going on holiday to Norfolk this summer and i've heard of the North Norfolk coastal cylcing path, but just wondering what is the surface like and is it a good thing to ride. And also the North Norfolk broads what are they like.

geoffdds said:
Going on holiday to Norfolk this summer and i've heard of the North Norfolk coastal cylcing path, but just wondering what is the surface like and is it a good thing to ride. And also the North Norfolk broads what are they like.
Norfolk, VA?

geoffdds said:
sorry, Norfolk United Kingdom
My bad...I just noticed where this thread was posted...Should have paid closer attention. But I do have a question for you though...

Do you pronounce your Norfolk....Nor folk...or Nawfuk?.....we use the second version...Although those who visit from other states call it Nor folk....

geoffdds said:
i guess it depends on where you come from but i pronounce it Nawfuk
Cool...ok, funny how that works out even though you are across the pond... Cheers!

Norfolks not great for off road but theres a few half decent places to ride, I live in Norwich & normally ride Mousehold Heath as it's near to my home.
It's a wood with lots of single track (allthough it's not huge) onlything is it's used by walkers & there dogs so you have to take care in places as cycles are not really allowed on there (but I have never been told off by any wardens).
Other good places in Norwich are the Trowse Whitlingham Country Park, which is a flat sand path around 3 lakes (easy riding but nice wildlife) & a bit of woodland but nothing too hard to ride.
A bit more hardcore riding can be found just outside the city in Ringland woods, this has some smallish fast technical downhill runs with a lot of jumps at the bottom & some good single track through the pine woods backing onto it.
If it's just flat quiet riding your after the Marriotts Way runs from Norwich to Aylsham along an old disused railway line & is quite relaxing for an afternoon out.
I havent rode the coastal cycling path myself but my dad used to go & ride Sheringham which is part of it & he told me it's nice with downhills & not just flat.
Another place I keep meaning to ride is Thetford forest as that has some good trails & would make a good day out.

Hi, Geoffdds

How did you get on with your trip to Norfolk. I'm planning a trip there this summer [Great Yarmouth to Kings Lynn] , where did you go, how was it?

yeah i got on great most tourists who bring along bikes go on the main roads. I stayed in Cromer and stayed about 5mins cycle away from the main road. It was a nice road that followed the sea front and the drivers mostly respect the cyclists.