Cycling in Northern New Jersey

elrohwen

Jul 13, 2003
I recently found out that I'll be working in northern New Jersey next summer (Englewood Cliffs, to be exact). Can anyone tell me anything about the local road biking scene there? Is there a local club? Are there any particularly good places to ride?

elrohwen said:
I recently found out that I'll be working in northern New Jersey next summer (Englewood Cliffs, to be exact). Can anyone tell me anything about the local road biking scene there? Is there a local club? Are there any particularly good places to ride?
Why don't you visit your LBS? Usually there is a group or two that meets there and bikes. That's how I hooked up with the different groups I ride with. Check them all out, because some groups are faster/slower than you. Usually they are a friendly bunch and welcome newbies all the time.:)

As an overall comment, there are a lot of clubs, and a lot of good farmland roads once you head inland from Englewood Cliffs. A lot of NYC riders cross the GW bridge and go straight up 9W (which should be outside your door!) Two clubs I know relatively close to you are Westwood and Skylands. I'm pretty sure that if you go to the NJBRA site (NJ Bicycle Racing Association, http://www.bike411.com/) they probably have a list of registered clubs. As the earlier post said, there are unofficial groups from many shops, as well as touring groups that your LBS may know about which wouldn't be part of the NJBRA.