Cycling in Puerto Rico

Dario Wolfish

Guest
Have any of you ever cycled in Puerto Rico? I am going there in April and I would like to take a few
40 mile road rides. Any suggestions of routes or rides? Please either post or email me with any
information you might have. Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Yea, you can go up on Ashford street in san Juan, and rent a mountain bike for a few bucks. They'll
give you a map with Old San Juan routes as well as beachfront trails. A word of advice: wear a hat!
I used sunscreen all over, thought i was protected and burnt my scalp!!

>Yea, you can go up on Ashford street in san Juan, and rent a mountain bike for a few bucks. They'll
>give you a map with Old San Juan routes as well as beachfront trails.

Get a good lock . They will steal a bike.

I often travel to and ride in Puerto Rico. As a matter of fact,my wife and I just arrived from there
this morn. In the years that I have been traveling there and riding, I have come to know Paul and
his son Omar at Hot Dog Cycles in Isla Verde. My wife and I visited his shop on Monday and had a
great visit. Not only does his shop offer rentals, but they sell and service to a number of high end
bikes (Colnago, Orbea, Casati, Merlin, Moots, Dean) The rentals are respectable mountain bikes fine
for cruising Ashford Ave, Old San Juan or, my favorite, Paseo Pinones. PP is a broad paved path that
wanders along the surf east of the the airport. Periodically, the path detours into the surrounding
jungle on raised boardwalks tunnelling through the palms and the banyons forest before returning to
the seaside. The entire ride from Isle Verde can be done on the rented C'dale in a couple of three
hours. I would guess that it's about 22-25 miles. Restaurants are plentiful on the west end and
vendors are available at short intervals on the route. In my estimation PP represents the essence of
Puerto Rico in that locals have unfettered access to the beach and the surf. Children, dogs, bladers
and strollers share the route, but on a mountain bike, it's not a hinderence at all, and adds to the
flavor of the ride. For hammerheads, Paul and Omar can show you how to stay on the highway and blast
out toward Loiza and back. You can also join the procession of Ashford Ave evening cruisers through
Condado at dusk. It's their version ofthe Pacific Coast Highway and everyone is out to enjoy the
cool evening breeze and to see and be seen . Between Condado and Old San Juan be sure to try El
Hamburgeria, a locals and ex-pats favorite haunt for a "real" hamburger and beer.There are other
rides and of course Old San Juan, but the narrow, worn cobblestone streets, interminable bumper to
bumper traffic make it a very frustrating attempt at cycling. It's best done with good shoes and a
sufficient amount of time to enjoy it. Paul can be contacted at Hot Dog Cycling, Isle Verde, 787 982
5344 or at www.hotdogcycling.com . Enjoy the riding, the rum and the coffee. AOn 16 Mar 2003