Cycling in Qld & Australia...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by effisk, Aug 5, 2004.

1. effisk

effisk New Member

Hi everyone,

first message in that forum, I'm French, I've lived in Oz for about 1 1/2 years (in Brisbane & Melbourne), and I remember having seen cyclists on motorways, specifically on the Pacific Motorway along the Gold Coast, Mitchell Freeway in Perth - but also around Melbourne. Is this authorised ?

Tags:

2. madge

madge New Member

Well, I found this on the vicroads website (ack, it won't let me paste it here).... anyway, it said that cyclists are permited to ride on the shoulders of freeways that go through rural areas such as the Western, Calder, Hume... but not freeways that pass through urban areas such as the Ring Roads, Tullamarine, Monash, etc. I'd imagine it's the same for other states.

3. effisk

effisk New Member

thanks for your reply Madge ! :)

4. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Sydney motorways generally permit bicycles and allow a good pace on safe, wide shoulders. Certain roads have unpredictable patchy prohibitions, such as the M4, where they were too stingy to put a safety lane on various parts, but the online RTA maps can help predict where these will be, and the closed sections can be bypassed.
    Certain parts are unsafe, such as the blind corner without a verge at the start of the eastern end of the M4.

5. niwatori

niwatori New Member

sure you're allowed if it's not in the city.
    in victoria the hume fwy has signs warning of cyclists crossing exits.

it's a highway or freeway around here, not a motorway
    :p

bel
    ------------
    if it doesn't have wheels, it's broken.