Cycling in Tahoe City?

dickshoulder

Jan 5, 2012
Hey y'all!

I am taking a weekend trip up to Tahoe City (Granlibakken Resort) and would really like to bring my bike up with me to get a couple of rides in. Apparently, there is no snow so the roads should be clear.

My question is, would it be worth it to bring the steed with me?
Are there some good rides to be had?
If so, any suggestions?
I've never been to the area, so any advice would be really helpful!

I live in the SF bay area where there are some really great rides, so I am used to hills and miles ;)

Thanks!
DS

Judging by the weather there and the pictures, it would be very much worth it. Go to MapMyRide.com and search "Tahoe City". The results gave 39 rides in and around Tahoe City. It looks like fertile hunting ground for fun rides.

It'll be a little chilly up there this weekend. I think it's gonna be down in the low 20s - so an early Saturday morning ride complete with super low humidity will likely freeze the snot in the back of your nose and turn your eyeballs into immovable ice sculptures...

The roads are nice up there - so much so that it's hard to pick a bad route. Even riding anti-clockwise around the lake down to Emerald Bay is nice - there's a bit of the lake road at the top of the climb down there (next to cascade lake) that passes right over a ridge that's just wide enough for a road and provides ace views of Lake Tahoe.

I haven't ridden much on the west side of the lake but there's gotta be some great hillclimbing to be had around Squaw Valley and Northstar. There's also Mt Rose to the northwest and if you really want to get the miles in, Kingsbury Grade to the south west, just north of Heavenly. The tahoe side of the climb isn't to bad - but the otherside is a nice 8ish mile climb that gains a few thousand feet. That's a really nice climb - a steady 7% and great road surface. I've been up it a few times.

There's a few rides for the Tahoe area on the Alta Alpina Cycling Club website:

http://www.altaalpina.com/rides/dsp_selarea.php?action=Road

Check out the Tahoe North and Tahoe South sections.

Just for a laugh you could say you've climbed Verbier faster than the "he must have been doping because he climbed so fast" Contador, who shredded the TdF field a few years ago on Verbier. If you take Ward Creek Rd, to Courchavel there's a little road to the side of that called Verbier ;)

A few miles south, near Tahoe Pines there's a road called Baker Pass Rd. Take the south fork when the road splits for what looks like some nice, narrow remote road, climbing fun... Just browsing around on Google maps and street view... It is a road to nowhere but it looks interesting and despite the name doesn't really climb that high nor is a "pass" to anywhere.