Cycling in the Campsies/Kilsyth Hills

Hugh Spicer

Guest
Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies /
Kilsyth Hills just north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

--
Hugh Spicer
_________________________

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:59:09 +0100, Hugh Spicer wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies /
> Kilsyth Hills just north of Glasgow. Ta much in
> advance....

Bit further afield, I once had a great day off road cycling
at the Carron Valley reservoir. Good hard-packed forest
roads. It was a frozen winter's day, and the poor old dog
had his paws run off. He spent the journey home curled in
the passenger footwell. Great day.

Landranger Sheet 57, car park is beside 'Forest Walks'

"Hugh Spicer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies /
> Kilsyth Hills just north of Glasgow. Ta much in
> advance....

Not quite in the Campsies but ....... For shorter rides try
Mugdock Country park for a mixture of well surfaced tracks
and some paths. A good longer circular off road route north
of Glasgow is to start at Milngavie town centre follow the
West Highland Way to Carbeth then use the road to go to
Strathblane approx 2 miles. At the far side of Strathblane
get on to the walkway which follows the disused railway to
Kirkintilloch. From Kirkintilloch take the Fort and Clyde
canal towpath back to Glasgow to the junction at the river
Kelvin. From there either follow the Kelvin walkway back to
Milngavie , or use the Kelvin cycleway into kelvingrove park
in Glasgow and get the train back to Milngavie. Either
option gives a route of about 25 miles with 23 off road. The
Kelvin walkway is all rideable but has a mile long section
south of Milngavie that is quite hard going. Otherwise all
the above route is easy but with a nice mix of scenery and a
plenty places to stop. The Stables pub near Kirkintilloch is
a good place to stop and is maybe slightly past halfway on
the route. Iain C

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:59:09 +0100, Hugh Spicer wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies /
> Kilsyth Hills just north of Glasgow. Ta much in
> advance....

I also used to love runs in the forest roads in Garadhban
forest, above Drymen. Park in the car park where the forest
road crosses the Drymen/Gartmore road, about 2km north of
Drymen. Grid NS479906 if I haven't got it wrong.

Head west along the forest roads - yeee-hah. Followed by pub
lunch in Drymen.

But on no account cycle down Conic Hill. No sirree. Walked
like John Wayne for a week after that little encounter with
a slightly too large frame.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:59:09 +0100, Hugh Spicer wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies /
> Kilsyth Hills just north of Glasgow. Ta much in
> advance....

Hmmmm... my posts don't seem to be getting through.

Another great place is Garadhban Forest north of Drymen.
Cycle or drive out of Drymen north on the road to Gartmore.
Park the car where the forest road crosses the tarmac road,
about half way to the antenna marked Bat a Charcel on the
map. Go west on the forest roads. I used to really enjoy
trips there of a Sunday afternoon.

ta much for the responses............. i've done pretty much
what has been recommended apart from Conic Hill - I once saw
this MTBr going flat out and flying over his handlebars down
Conic Hill - nasty fall.....

Hugh ;-)

news:p[email protected]...