Cycling in the rain

glreese

Jun 3, 2016
Sometimes I really enjoy cycling in the rain. Especially if it is a really hot day. Does anyone else like cycling in the rain, or even prefer it to cycling when it is dry?

We used to take a bath in the rain especially when it rains during the summer time. And not only children but sometimes adults do that for fun as well. But riding in the rain is not advisable since it poses a risk. First, the road is slippery and a crash is more probable than ordinary days. Second is the visibility that vehicles may not clearly see you on your bike. But I have to admit that it's fun to ride when its raining.

By the way, I used to ride when there is a flood just to test if my bike can wade in the floodwaters. It's also fun and not really dangerous since there are few vehicles on the flooded roads.

I've never really thought of cycling in the rain. I guess I always thought that it would increase the chances of getting hurt, which is something I've always been quite anxious about when it comes to riding. But I suppose it would really come down to being careful and making sure you're not going so fast that you can't control the bike if something did happen. I think I'm going to give it a chance next time it rains!

If I have nothing to do that day, I love riding in the rain. Sometimes it is nice to just feel like a kid again and play in the rain so to speak lol. It's annoying to come in and take off damp clothes, which is why I will only do it when I have nothing on the schedule that day.

I've never really thought of cycling in the rain. I guess I always thought that it would increase the chances of getting hurt, which is something I've always been quite anxious about when it comes to riding. But I suppose it would really come down to being careful and making sure you're not going so fast that you can't control the bike if something did happen. I think I'm going to give it a chance next time it rains!
I definitely go a lot slower and am extra careful when it rains! So far I have never crashed, and I am happy for that! And you totally should, it's very freeing! Thanks for your reply!

If I have nothing to do that day, I love riding in the rain. Sometimes it is nice to just feel like a kid again and play in the rain so to speak lol. It's annoying to come in and take off damp clothes, which is why I will only do it when I have nothing on the schedule that day.
I totally agree with you on the icky damp feeling. I always want to take a hot shower after I come back from being in the rain. It's definitely a more leisurely type of activity.

We used to take a bath in the rain especially when it rains during the summer time. And not only children but sometimes adults do that for fun as well. But riding in the rain is not advisable since it poses a risk. First, the road is slippery and a crash is more probable than ordinary days. Second is the visibility that vehicles may not clearly see you on your bike. But I have to admit that it's fun to ride when its raining.

By the way, I used to ride when there is a flood just to test if my bike can wade in the floodwaters. It's also fun and not really dangerous since there are few vehicles on the flooded roads.
I don't usually ride on the road when it rains! The risk of getting hit by a car is greater. I stick to paths near my house. The whole flood thing sounds really fun. I've never gotten the chance to do that yet.

Reactions: Corzhens
I definitely go a lot slower and am extra careful when it rains! So far I have never crashed, and I am happy for that! And you totally should, it's very freeing! Thanks for your reply!
We have a lot of potholes around here so my main concern would be going through a puddle and thinking it was shallow just to realize it's a huge hole. Then BAM! Some of them are easy to spot but the rain makes it a lot harder, even when you're just driving.

Yeah, I enjoy riding my bike in the rain. I don't like to ride my bike when the weather is too hot. I enjoy riding in cold weather. The roads get little slippery in the rainy seasons and it becomes dangerous for us to ride that time but I enjoy the challenging rides. :)

Reactions: rotaryrocket
It depends on the rain and what the heat is like for me. Here in the UK, it's never usually that hot enough for you to enjoy riding in the rain, but I'm sure that in other countries it can be enjoyed.

Cycling in shorts and T-shirt in warm weather rain is totally different to cycling in the freezing cold rain wearing outerwear and having to try and dry off when you get to your location!

Yeah, I enjoy riding my bike in the rain. I don't like to ride my bike when the weather is too hot. I enjoy riding in cold weather. The roads get little slippery in the rainy seasons and it becomes dangerous for us to ride that time but I enjoy the challenging rides. :)
I also enjoy challenges! It requires extra effort and caution but it's worth it. Thanks for sharing!

It depends on the rain and what the heat is like for me. Here in the UK, it's never usually that hot enough for you to enjoy riding in the rain, but I'm sure that in other countries it can be enjoyed.

Cycling in shorts and T-shirt in warm weather rain is totally different to cycling in the freezing cold rain wearing outerwear and having to try and dry off when you get to your location!
Thanks for commenting! I would hate riding in the freezing cold rain. I don't even like riding when it is cold without rain. During the summer here it gets warm enough to ride in the rain.

Reactions: pwarbi
Thanks for commenting! I would hate riding in the freezing cold rain. I don't even like riding when it is cold without rain. During the summer here it gets warm enough to ride in the rain.

I know that people say that the grass isn't always greener, and we're lucky to live in a country like the UK, but if there's one thing that i could change it would be the climate we have over here. It's certainly not the worst in the world but at the same time when it comes to cycling, or any outdoor activities, we can be limited as to what we can do without get wet or having to take a long hard look at the weather forecast before we plan anything.

You have to be willing to deal with rain if you want to cycle around these parts. Unless you use a stationary. It rains often. We jokingly refer to it as the Pacific NorthWet instead of Northwest.

You have to be willing to deal with rain if you want to cycle around these parts. Unless you use a stationary. It rains often. We jokingly refer to it as the Pacific NorthWet instead of Northwest.

Where I am in the UK (Manchester) we're known as the rainy city, so with a nickname like that, it's pretty easy to imagine just how much rain we do get.

When in comes to cycling in the rain though, a lot's going to depend on what you're used to, and if you've grown up used to changeable weather shall we call it, then a bit of rain isn't going to stop you from getting on with your life, and that includes cycling if you really want to.

jcycle: Seattle?

As a tourist, I always am prepared to cycle in, shall we say, "inclement weather". In hot weather, I often will not bother putting on rain gear, just let the sun dry me out after the rain stops. In cooler weather, a rain jacket is all I usually need (and that lives in my rack trunk). My Preference? Mildly cool with little to no wind.

jcycle: Seattle?

As a tourist, I always am prepared to cycle in, shall we say, "inclement weather". In hot weather, I often will not bother putting on rain gear, just let the sun dry me out after the rain stops. In cooler weather, a rain jacket is all I usually need (and that lives in my rack trunk). My Preference? Mildly cool with little to no wind.

I'm sure that as cyclists we're all well up with what the weather forecast is going to be, as we want to be able to plan when we're going to be able to go out on the bike. Here in the UK, the weekend is obviously the time when most people will be planning on going cycling and so a poor forecast on the Wednesday or Thursday get's us all searching for the rain gear.

I have been caught in the rain when I have been out riding before and I hate it. It's not that I mind getting wet, but it seems as though it makes the roads here particularly slippery. I feel that it is too dangerous of an activity for me if it is raining more than just a mere sprinkle. Plus, I share the road with motorists who often do not pay any attention to cyclists. Rain lessens their visibility. In fact, around here two or three people have been hit by motorists while riding and most were during times of decreased visibility for one reason or another.

If its misting or just a really light rain then sure, id ride in it. No way would I be riding in moderate or heavy rain though, that's dangerous.