Cycling in the snow

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by wafflycat, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Glorious sunshine here in deepest rural Norfolk this morning, even though it
    is cold, so Vernon & I got warmly dressed & went out on our bikes. Within
    five minutes we found the only section of road in Norfolk that still has a
    couple of inches of ice still covering it. That was interesting - I rode it
    with a foot unclipped just in case bike & I needed to part company quickly
    ;-) Got past our very own little bit of ice sheet and then it started to
    snow. At first it was only a few flakes coming out of a sky that was still
    bright blue with nice fluffy white clouds in it, so we carried on. The next
    minute, the temperature drops by several degrees, the wind gets up and the
    snow comes down quite heavily. Actually it was blowing horizontally verging
    between a headwind and a crosswind. I am glad I wore my buff as by pulling
    it up over my nose & cheeks, I avoided snow in the lungs :) It made for an
    interesting ride - it was actually quite good fun - it gave me a workout as
    I had to pedal hard in the headwind. Glad I
    went out though.

    Cheers, helen s

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > The next minute, the temperature
    > drops by several degrees, the wind gets up and the snow comes down
    > quite heavily. Actually it was blowing horizontally verging between a
    > headwind and a crosswind.

    Nice :)
    Here is my part of winter story:). In Poland recently winter is very snowy
    and even on primary roads it's hard to find pice of dry asphalt. Salt is
    working and roads are wet but air temp is about -5*C/ 23F, so everything
    freeze over in a minute :). You can see results of ~3h ride in this
    conditions :) :
    http://tinyurl.com/6eed4
    sorry for non English subtitles but they aren't important :)

    Enjoy winter rides! :)

    --
    regards
    Mike

  3. On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:33:21 +0100, Mike wrote:

    >> The next minute, the temperature
    >> drops by several degrees, the wind gets up and the snow comes down
    >> quite heavily.

    Riding while it's snowing is usually quite pleasant, especially if it's
    not too heavy and there isn't any wind.

    > Here is my part of winter story:). In Poland recently winter is very
    > snowy and even on primary roads it's hard to find pice of dry asphalt.
    > Salt is working and roads are wet but air temp is about -5*C/ 23F, so
    > everything freeze over in a minute :). You can see results of ~3h ride
    > in this conditions :) :

    Riding on snow-and-ice-covered streets is not so much fun. I'm impressed
    you could stay up on that road bike for 3 hours. It is much easier on a
    mountain bike with fenders and studded tires.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
    _`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
    (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
    internet has proven this not to be the case.