Cycling in the snow!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Burns, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. John Burns

    John Burns Guest

    Stuck in the house due to the large amount of snow outside. Decided to
    cycle down to the post office regardless and then round the local
    football pitch a few times.

    For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    --
    Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
    Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

    Tags:

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    John Burns wrote:

    > For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    > (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    > tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    > just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    It's great fun, isn't it? Last year we had just a couple of inches, but
    on 1/5 hills that's interesting, particularly on Schwalbe Marathons. I
    was slowly overtaken on an uphill by an earnest-looking chap in a Skoda
    who was decently keeping well clear of me, to the extent he was
    completely on the other side of the road for about fifty yards either
    side of me, bless. Downhill, I was proceeding at about the same as the
    uphill speed when someone came screaming past me on a mountain bike with
    a deranged grin on his face. :cool:

    R.

  3. John Burns wrote:
    > Stuck in the house due to the large amount of snow outside. Decided to
    > cycle down to the post office regardless and then round the local
    > football pitch a few times.
    >
    > For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    > (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    > tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    > just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    Take a look at this blog: http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/ cycling in
    Alaska in winter!

    --chris

  4. killermike

    killermike Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:31:59 +0000, John Burns wrote:

    > For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    > (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    > tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    > just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    I desperately want to have a go at this but although snow has been
    forcasted, it looks like we are going to miss out (North Lincolnshire).

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

  5. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    John Burns wrote:
    > Stuck in the house due to the large amount of snow outside. Decided to
    > cycle down to the post office regardless and then round the local
    > football pitch a few times.
    >
    > For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    > (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    > tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    > just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    Hmm... in my limited experience, it's great to ride on when it's freshly
    fallen, soft, fluffy and pretty.

    It's a mare to ride on when it's become slush and then frozen into
    ridges, lumps and dips - then polished to a high sheen by the traffic.

    --
    Chris

  6. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Chris Gerhard wrote:
    > John Burns wrote:
    >
    >> Stuck in the house due to the large amount of snow outside. Decided to
    >> cycle down to the post office regardless and then round the local
    >> football pitch a few times.
    >>
    >> For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    >> (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    >> tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    >> just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)
    >>

    > Take a look at this blog: http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/ cycling in
    > Alaska in winter!

    Even better the Gospel Pass Brevet last Saturday!

    http://photos.yahoo.com/stevemel63

  7. Dan Gregory wrote:
    > Chris Gerhard wrote:
    >> John Burns wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stuck in the house due to the large amount of snow outside. Decided
    >>> to cycle down to the post office regardless and then round the local
    >>> football pitch a few times.
    >>>
    >>> For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a
    >>> howl (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just
    >>> what chunky tyres and granny gears were invented for, but
    >>> incredibly tiring after just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)
    >>>

    >> Take a look at this blog: http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/ cycling in
    >> Alaska in winter!

    > Even better the Gospel Pass Brevet last Saturday!
    >
    > http://photos.yahoo.com/stevemel63

    Looks like fun! I like the way the road gradually disappears as the pics go
    on. Until, eventually... where's the road?

  8. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    On 01/03/2006 15:31, John Burns said,

    > For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a howl
    > (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what chunky
    > tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly tiring after
    > just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    I used to live in Liskeard in Cornwall, and one winter there was massive
    snowfall - maybe 20 years ago. It was great fun cycling on Bodmin Moor
    in god knows how much snow, and knocking down the drifts hanging over
    the lanes like half an arch. Bl**dy hard work though!

    I may also be deranged ;-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  9. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Dan Gregory wrote:

    > Even better the Gospel Pass Brevet last Saturday!
    >
    > http://photos.yahoo.com/stevemel63

    Was that from the Hay side? Where did the ride go after that? We spent a
    weekend in Hay last November and rode out over the Gospel Pass, had
    lunch at Llanthony Priory and rode back via the Golden Valley.

  10. Terry

    Terry Guest

  11. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Dan Gregory) wrote:
    >>
    >>Even better the Gospel Pass Brevet last Saturday!
    >>
    >>http://photos.yahoo.com/stevemel63

    > Lovely. Nice pix too. Must have been a challenging ride on the narrow
    > tyres of the bike in 037.

    Ride? it appeared to me that everyone was using the bikes as an aid to
    pedestrianisation. Mind you I can't talk, I would have probably done the
    same given those conditions.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "So tell me, just how long have you had this feeling that no one
    is watching you?" (Christopher Locke: Entropy Gradient Reversals)

  12. Terry

    Terry Guest

    (Don Whybrow) wrote:

    > Terry wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] (Dan Gregory) wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Even better the Gospel Pass Brevet last Saturday!
    > >>
    > >>http://photos.yahoo.com/stevemel63

    > > Lovely. Nice pix too. Must have been a challenging ride on the narrow
    > > tyres of the bike in 037.

    > Ride? it appeared to me that everyone was using the bikes as an aid to
    > pedestrianisation.

    Pedestrianisation? Isn't that detarmacadaminisation as opposed to your
    intended meaning viz. ambulatory advancement?

  13. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > (Don Whybrow) wrote:
    >
    >>Ride? it appeared to me that everyone was using the bikes as an aid to
    >>pedestrianisation.

    > Pedestrianisation? Isn't that detarmacadaminisation as opposed to your
    > intended meaning viz. ambulatory advancement?

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/humor.html and page down to the "ODE TO
    SPELL CHECKERS"

    You are quite correct of course.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "So tell me, just how long have you had this feeling that no one
    is watching you?" (Christopher Locke: Entropy Gradient Reversals)

  14. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Dan Gregory
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Chris Gerhard wrote:
    >> John Burns wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stuck in the house due to the large amount of snow outside. Decided
    >>> to cycle down to the post office regardless and then round the local
    >>> football pitch a few times.
    >>>
    >>> For those of you who've never tried to cycle in 3-6" of snow it's a
    >>> howl (or I'm a bit mentally deranged, either is possible). Just what
    >>> chunky tyres and granny gears were invented for, but incredibly
    >>> tiring after just a mile or two. Got a few odd looks :)

    >> Take a look at this blog: http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/ cycling in
    >> Alaska in winter!

    > Even better the Gospel Pass Brevet last Saturday!
    >
    > http://photos.yahoo.com/stevemel63

    That looks wonderfully mad. 032 is a superb photo.

    Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
    nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
    keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
    watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file