Cycling in the Yorkshire Dales

Darth.

Guest
I'm going up to the Yorkshire Dales in a couple of weeks and would like
to have access to a bike.

I could take my existing bike, but as I don't own a car I'm going to be
hiring one (can't go by train as the kids are too young). Does anyone
know of a car hire company in London that hires cars with bike carrying
attachments? So far I've found lots of places that hire cars and one
place that roof racks, but the roof rack place needs to know exactly
what model of car you're going to be getting and the car hire companies
can't guarantee a model.

The alternative is that I could hire a bike when I get up there. I'll
be cycling exclusively on roads - can anybody recommend a place where I
can hire a decent road bike?

Cheers

Darth.

"Darth." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going up to the Yorkshire Dales in a couple of weeks and would like
> to have access to a bike.
>
> I could take my existing bike, but as I don't own a car I'm going to be
> hiring one (can't go by train as the kids are too young). Does anyone
> know of a car hire company in London that hires cars with bike carrying
> attachments? So far I've found lots of places that hire cars and one
> place that roof racks, but the roof rack place needs to know exactly
> what model of car you're going to be getting and the car hire companies
> can't guarantee a model.

What sort of car are you hiring?

Two options spring to mind:

A strap on type of bike carrier will work on lots of different cars.
Or get a car big enough to take the bike.

Lots of people have the willies about the former, but if you're sensible
about it and make sure everything is adequately attached, you should be ok.
You'll need to get one which clears the lights/number plate though, as a
hire car is unlikely to have a tow bar.

cheers,
clive

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:56:23 +0100, Clive George wrote:
> A strap on type of bike carrier will work on lots of different cars.
> Or get a car big enough to take the bike.

FWIW, even a polo can fit a bike in the back with the wheels off.

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: E3E8E974 :: Jabber: [email protected]

"Stephen Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:56:23 +0100, Clive George wrote:
>> A strap on type of bike carrier will work on lots of different cars.
>> Or get a car big enough to take the bike.

> FWIW, even a polo can fit a bike in the back with the wheels off.

I did notice the OP mentioned 'kids', and small ones at that...

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Stephen Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:56:23 +0100, Clive George wrote:
> >> A strap on type of bike carrier will work on lots of different cars.
> >> Or get a car big enough to take the bike.

> > FWIW, even a polo can fit a bike in the back with the wheels off.

> I did notice the OP mentioned 'kids', and small ones at that...

Yes - thousands of them! Well, two actually, but they're both under 2
years old so it feels like there's thousands of them. For those who
haven't experienced them, under twos come with a huge amount of stuff
so the boot's out of the question. I'll go and investigate the strappy
bike carriers and see what I can find out.

> cheers,
> clive

Darth.

> Yes - thousands of them! Well, two actually, but they're both under 2
> years old so it feels like there's thousands of them. For those who
> haven't experienced them, under twos come with a huge amount of stuff
> so the boot's out of the question. I'll go and investigate the strappy
> bike carriers and see what I can find out.

Strappy bike carriers are fine. Mine has served me well for over ten years
and six different cars. One just need to make sure that the straps are
tensioned well and recheck the tension a short while into the journey.
Enjoy the dales. I always do when I ride in them.

-=V=-

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Darth.
<[email protected]> gently breathed:

>Clive George wrote:
>> "Stephen Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > FWIW, even a polo can fit a bike in the back with the wheels off.

>> I did notice the OP mentioned 'kids', and small ones at that...

>Yes - thousands of them! Well, two actually, but they're both under 2
>years old so it feels like there's thousands of them. For those who
>haven't experienced them, under twos come with a huge amount of stuff
>so the boot's out of the question. I'll go and investigate the strappy
>bike carriers and see what I can find out.

Hire a van instead of a car? I guess sprogs that young travel in cots
rather than chairs, so they can just go in the back up against the
seats?

I don't think there's an age limit for sprogs on trains though.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

Stephen Patterson <[email protected]> writes:

> FWIW, even a polo can fit a bike in the back with the wheels off.

Though, obviously, it won't go very far in that state. You might get
it to fall off the bricks.

-dan

--
http://coruskate.blogspot.com/ why skate when you can talk about it instead?

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Darth." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm going up to the Yorkshire Dales in a couple of weeks and would like
>> to have access to a bike.
>>
>> I could take my existing bike, but as I don't own a car I'm going to be
>> hiring one (can't go by train as the kids are too young). Does anyone
>> know of a car hire company in London that hires cars with bike carrying
>> attachments? So far I've found lots of places that hire cars and one
>> place that roof racks, but the roof rack place needs to know exactly
>> what model of car you're going to be getting and the car hire companies
>> can't guarantee a model.

> What sort of car are you hiring?
>
> Two options spring to mind:
>
> A strap on type of bike carrier will work on lots of different cars.
> Or get a car big enough to take the bike.

Why not strap the kids to the back of the car and put the bike inside. It'll
be safe then.
Peter