Cycling in traffic : air pollution

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Treky, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Treky

Treky New Member

Greatings from a new member from Santa Clara California :) I have discovered this forum recently, I think it is great.

I have a question for those who cycle in busy traffic. I cycle to work in heavy morning/evening traffic and I often think that there must be some kind of a mask I can use to avoid choking on car exhaust. A lot of times it is not too bad, but with some diesel trucks and some old cars I can taste the disgusting exhaust fumes. Do any of you use anything against air pollution & dust? Anyhow sorry if this is an old topic, I'd appreciate if your help/ideas on this.

Yildirim.

Tags:

2. Treky

Treky New Member

3. spcjb001

spcjb001 New Member

Still not heard anything about these masks?

4. Treky

Treky New Member

I could not order from Respro directly (they are in UK I am in California) but they gave a list of companies in US I can order from. And I did, just got my Respro Sportsta mask and two additional filters for $64 (with shipping + tax) Tomorrow will be my first use, I am looking forward to the test. I have been having hyperventilation problems on some days (I do not breathe enough trying to avoid inhhaling car exhaust then I guess I over compensate and get hyperventilation). I'll let you know how it goes: BTW for those who live in US here is the details of the company I ordered the mask from:
    Stopallergy, Ohio, 513 936 0224 www.stopallergy.com

5. spcjb001

spcjb001 New Member

So how did the mask go, Treky?

6. Treky

Treky New Member

I have been using the mask for over a week now. So far I am very happy with it, in fact I probably will not be able to ride to work without it.

At first I had to get used to the mask and the resistance when inhaling (the product description says very low resistance, which is true but you still need to get used to it). There are two valves, one on each side so exhaling is very easy. It comes with two straps which velcro together at the back of your neck. There is a small U shaped metal clip which fits over your nose and blocks your nostrils so you only breath through your mouth. For someone who have been very careful to breath through my nose while riding, this also took some getting used to.

So what do I not like about the mask?

1. Condensation builds up inside the mask and becomes little uncomfortable. Also if your nose is running it starts to irritate very quickly (I sometimes stop and remove the mask and wipe my face and nose and put it back on)

2. As the condensation builds up the mask becomes slippy and sildes down to tip of your nose. You wish the mask came with a mesh and had two sets of straps, one set under your chin or over your face and the other above your forehead, this would stop it sliding.

3. It is not easy to turn your head with the mask on, so you need to turn your body as well otherwise it can cause the mask to move away from its ideal position

4. The velcro of the straps can rub against your neck if you do not fasten it very carefully.

5. The U shaped metal clip that fits over your nose is very soft and easily bends. I suspect if this clip breaks due to fatigue the mask will be useless. In fact that is the only reason I'd have to replace the mask (well except may be the valves break, I am not sure how long those will last)

That is it for now, happy riding :cool:

7. Chuck Bennett

Chuck Bennett New Member

Treky,
    I have used a Techno for several years.
    some sugestions are:
    Get the straps as tight as comfortable.
    Try to get the mask up as high as possible on your nose not on your nostrils and don't bend the nose piece any more than you have to.
    Pull the top of the mask on your cheeks up.
    Stretch the bottom down over your chin as far as possible. This may help with the riding up problem This works well for me.
    Another thing (which I haven't tried yet) is to put a strip of foam such as weather stripping under the mask on top of the filters runing from one cheek over the nose to the other cheek; which should help seal better.
    I have been able to replace the aluminium strip but it wasn't easy ;-)
    By the way, I find them much cheaper by buying from a vendor in Canada.

Chuck
    [email protected]

8. Treky

Treky New Member

Hey Chuck thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try. I am not sure if ordering from Canada is going to be cheaper for me, but I'll consider it if I am ordering a replacement.

So how did you replace the aluminium strip, did you make your own?

9. Chuck Bennett

Chuck Bennett New Member

Treky
    Well, after I checked pricesat
    CUTCAT.COM I find you are right.
    The price is the same as I paid for mine from Canada. DUH
    By the way, I am in Stockton.
    My email is [email protected]
    It would be easier to contact me directly than through this forum. If you are comfortable with that.
    The aluminium strip is so soft you can cut it easily with snips or heavy scissors.
    I then made a new one out of aluminium, drilled holes and cut slits from the edge into the hole which allowed me to slide the strip into place.
    Good Luck
    Chuck
    [email protected]