Cycling In Tropical Climates

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
I have lived in places where the temperature during the summer months often reaches above 40C. It didn't stop me from riding my bike in the cooler evening hours. I hardly experienced any problems while riding in the desert where the air is dry. But in tropical regions with a lot of humidity, such as rainforest regions, I feel like I am going to collapse after half an hour of pedaling. The heaviness of the air is extremely oppressing to me. I often marvel at other cyclists buzzing past me seemingly unaffected by the humid conditions.
How does humidity affect you?

I live on a sandbar that extends 70 miles into the Atlantic. Hot, humid conditions usually come with a brisk SW wind. Humidity doesn't affect me very much. I sweat a lot, drink a lot of water, but the breeze evaporates the sweat. My face, legs, and arms are usually salt caked after a 30 mile/50 km ride.

I much prefer heat and humidity to ass freezing cold.

Not a big fan of hot muggy weather - fortunately most summers we don't get that much of it. Once in a while we get slammed. Early morning rides during the coolest part of the day are the best bet.

Living in South Africa, I pretty much have to contend with mostly favorable weather conditions which I'm very happy about. The weather is mostly dry during most sunny days. However, we do get some heavy thunder storms and it can get quite humid during cloudier days. I live in an area that has several large lakes and it's fairly humid riding in a vicinity close to these. Otherwise, can't really complain as it's a joy riding in the summer time over here.

It is not easy for me to go out on a humid day the heavy sweating feels more of a discomfort for me but the breezy air will surely help with the situation. I tend to go out before sunset when the air is quite cooler and the discomfort is quite manageable for me.

I don't mind riding in the heat but when the humidity gets much over 70% I try to avoid it.
It tends to get super muggy here without the tiniest hint of a breeze and I get over-heated way to easily to make cycling in that weather enjoyable.
That's just road biking, mountain biking I don't mind the heat and humidity quite as much because the shade of the trees helps cool you down.

Ours is also a tropical country with an average temperature of 35 C after midmorning until mid afternoon. Bikers usually are prepared for sweating so they ride in cycling shorts and vests. It is okay for messengerial jobs but if you are an office worker, much more a manager, biking to the office is not advisable unless you have the facilities to take a shower and change clothes. But that would be too tedious so it is best to just travel by car or public transporation.

I live in a tropical climate so I guess I'm used to it. I've also got used to cycling on high altitudes and my lungs have gotten stronger as a result of that. Humidity really used to hit me hard but like everything else you get used to it and you will become stronger once you overcome your weaknesses.

Humidity is not the problem once you are accustomed to it. When you are born into a certain condition your body tends to adjust to it. Humidity doesn't affect me while cycling because I'm just so used to.