cycling in west Texas

Just A User

Guest
Hello again. Just a real quick question about cycling in western TX. I
just bought 10 acres of old ranch land out the (just over $1000 an acre)
and the land is not too far from the Van Horn area. Pretty high
elevation (compared to sea level FL) at about 4000 ft above sea level.
but not much humidity, again compared to FL. I am thinking about
bringing one of my bikes with me when I drive out there to scope out the
area better. Anyone cycle out in that part of TX?

Ken

Just A User wrote:
> Hello again. Just a real quick question about cycling in western TX. I
> just bought 10 acres of old ranch land out the (just over $1000 an acre)
> and the land is not too far from the Van Horn area. Pretty high
> elevation (compared to sea level FL) at about 4000 ft above sea level.
> but not much humidity, again compared to FL. I am thinking about
> bringing one of my bikes with me when I drive out there to scope out the
> area better. Anyone cycle out in that part of TX?
>
> Ken

I go out somewhat near there and further west (southern New Mexico, it's
3900 ft to maybe 8000 ft where I go) from time to time and always try to
take my bike. I live close to sea level here in Tx and have no problem
with the altitude out there. If you have not been there, the lack of
shoulders on the roads can be a problem depending on where you are
going. I only ride road bikes, so I stick to the paved roads.

On Tue, 01 May 2007 14:34:17 -0400, Just A User
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Hello again. Just a real quick question about cycling in western TX. I
>just bought 10 acres of old ranch land out the (just over $1000 an acre)
>and the land is not too far from the Van Horn area. Pretty high
>elevation (compared to sea level FL) at about 4000 ft above sea level.
>but not much humidity, again compared to FL. I am thinking about
>bringing one of my bikes with me when I drive out there to scope out the
>area better. Anyone cycle out in that part of TX?

Tends to be a bit rocky off-road, and the paved surfaces run to the
narrow end of the spectrum; expect more grades than you've seen in a
lifetime of riding in Florida. In the summer, carry and consume
plenty of water; it gets hot, and it's very dry...and it can be a
looong way between sources of replenishment. At this time of year,
it's generally downright pleasant.