Cycling in Yellowstone

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Shade, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shade

Shade Guest

Thanks for all the responses of my prior posting about my trip in mid-June. One last question.
    Mountain Bike with "touring-like" tread or Touring Bike.

Tags:

2. >From: "Shade" [email protected]

>One last question. Mountain Bike with "touring-like" tread or Touring Bike.

The greatest opportunity for riding is on the park loop road and I would prefer a touring bike, but
    if you're comfortable on a mountain bike that will work too. When choosing tires, keep in mind that
    many sections of the road are in a constant state of disrepair. Opportunities for mountain bikers
    are limited in the park because bikes are prohibited from most trails. One good mtb ride is the
    Blacktail Plateau Drive in the north between Mammoth and Roosevelt. It's a six mile dirt road that
    is one way to autos but bikes may travel both ways. There are other short rides; check www.nps.gov.

George F. Johnson

3. mrcycling

mrcycling Guest

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:14:37 -0600, "Shade" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses of my prior posting about my trip in mid-June. One last question.
    >Mountain Bike with "touring-like" tread or Touring Bike.
    >

Touring bike is the way to go . . . all of the main roads are paved and even the few sideroads like
    Fountain Flats Freight and Blacktail Butte are hard dirt, ridable even on skinny road tires. All I
    ever had to ride during the 6 years I worked in the park was my road bike and there really wasn't
    anywhere open to bikes that I couldn't ride
    it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.