cheers

Gary

--
visit our website at www.justjents.co.uk

geepeetee wrote:

> Hi
>
> Couple of weeks ago there was mention of council run cycling training
> courses to instruct in riding skills and basic maintenance.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more info on these (our
> local council is East Riding of Yorkshire).

if you want to train as an instructor then your best option is to take a
course leading you to a nationally approved qualification, rather than
one of the lesser 'courses' run by many local authorities.
The latter are often severely lacking [1] in many aspects.
[1] I'm being kind ;-)

See
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3646

John B

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> geepeetee wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Couple of weeks ago there was mention of council run cycling training
>> courses to instruct in riding skills and basic maintenance.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more info on these (our
>> local council is East Riding of Yorkshire).

> if you want to train as an instructor then your best option is to take a
> course leading you to a nationally approved qualification, rather than
> one of the lesser 'courses' run by many local authorities.

Approved by who?

dennis smythe wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > geepeetee wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Couple of weeks ago there was mention of council run cycling training
> >> courses to instruct in riding skills and basic maintenance.
> >>
> >> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more info on these (our
> >> local council is East Riding of Yorkshire).

> > if you want to train as an instructor then your best option is to take a
> > course leading you to a nationally approved qualification, rather than
> > one of the lesser 'courses' run by many local authorities.

> Approved by who?

The new National Standard for Cycle Training - the replacement for the
old cycling proficiency - has been developed and endorsed by DfT,
LARSOA, ROSPA, CTC and many other organisations.
To become an accredited instructor you need to take a National Standard
training course at one of the training centres.
Full details of how to do this are at:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3529

Are you hoping to take a course?

John B

On Fri, 6 May 2005 19:53:30 +0100, "geepeetee" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Couple of weeks ago there was mention of council run cycling training
>courses to instruct in riding skills and basic maintenance.
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more info on these (our
>local council is East Riding of Yorkshire).

Oooh, I wonder if Howard will be along to tell us of ERYC's
pro-cycling activites. I so enjoyed (?) his tales on his website.

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dennis smythe wrote:
>>
>> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > if you want to train as an instructor then your best option is to take
>> > course leading you to a nationally approved qualification, rather than
>> > one of the lesser 'courses' run by many local authorities.

>> Approved by who?

> The new National Standard for Cycle Training - the replacement for the
> old cycling proficiency - has been developed and endorsed by DfT,
> LARSOA, ROSPA, CTC and many other organisations.
> To become an accredited instructor you need to take a National Standard
> training course at one of the training centres.
> Full details of how to do this are at:
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3529
>
> Are you hoping to take a course?

No you just sounded like a shill spouting ********! How do you know council
led courses aren't backed by the Department for Transport, the only initials
with any credibility you mention, as well ?

"JohnB" helpfully suggested the nationally approved courses:
>>Are you hoping to take a course?

and dennis smythe responded:
> No you just sounded like a shill spouting ********!

You haven't been around here long, have you, Dennis? Perhaps you might
like to Google for some of John's past posts on the subject - I think
most of us are aware that he knows a great deal about it.

I really think John deserves an apology.

dennis smythe wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > dennis smythe wrote:

> >> Approved by who?

> > The new National Standard for Cycle Training - the replacement for the
> > old cycling proficiency - has been developed and endorsed by DfT,
> > LARSOA, ROSPA, CTC and many other organisations.
> > To become an accredited instructor you need to take a National Standard
> > training course at one of the training centres.
> > Full details of how to do this are at:
> > http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3529
> >
> > Are you hoping to take a course?

> No you just sounded like a shill spouting ********! How do you know council
> led courses aren't backed by the Department for Transport, the only initials
> with any credibility you mention, as well ?

Oh.

John B

in message <[email protected]>, dennis
smythe ('[email protected]') wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> dennis smythe wrote:
>>> Approved by who?

>> The new National Standard for Cycle Training - the replacement for
>> the old cycling proficiency - has been developed and endorsed by DfT,
>> LARSOA, ROSPA, CTC and many other organisations.
>> To become an accredited instructor you need to take a National
>> Standard training course at one of the training centres.
>> Full details of how to do this are at:
>> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3529
>>
>> Are you hoping to take a course?

> No you just sounded like a shill spouting ********!

But if you'd been paying attention you would have known that John is an
expert in this matter.

> How do you know
> council led courses aren't backed by the Department for Transport, the
> only initials with any credibility you mention, as well ?

You don't think the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents or the
Cyclists Touring Club might know a bit more about cycling safety than
the Department for Transport? After all, who do you think the
Department for Transport goes to for expertise on these matters?

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "JohnB" helpfully suggested the nationally approved courses:
>>>Are you hoping to take a course?

> and dennis smythe responded:
>> No you just sounded like a shill spouting ********!

> You haven't been around here long, have you, Dennis? Perhaps you might
> like to Google for some of John's past posts on the subject - I think most
> of us are aware that he knows a great deal about it.
>
> I really think John deserves an apology.

Does he have any financial interest in criticizing all the hundreds of
biking schemes led by local government while advertising a two penny outfit
with a grand total of 4 outlets?

dennis smythe wrote:

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "JohnB" helpfully suggested the nationally approved courses:

> > and dennis smythe responded:
> >> No you just sounded like a shill spouting ********!

> > You haven't been around here long, have you, Dennis? Perhaps you might
> > like to Google for some of John's past posts on the subject - I think most
> > of us are aware that he knows a great deal about it.
> >
> > I really think John deserves an apology.

> Does he have any financial interest in criticizing all the hundreds of
> biking schemes led by local government while advertising a two penny outfit

Eh?

> with a grand total of 4 outlets?

There are four approved _independent_ organisations that run national
standard training courses. I have no financial involvement with them
whatsoever - OK, I did buy a new CTUK manual recently for £15.

You might like to let us know why you are intent on denigrating moves to
improve the quality of cycle training?
Perhaps you work in one of the LA's that feels threatened by the
competition of professional level cycling instruction?

John B

On Fri, 06 May 2005 21:51:27 GMT someone who may be "dennis smythe"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> The new National Standard for Cycle Training - the replacement for the
>> old cycling proficiency - has been developed and endorsed by DfT,
>> LARSOA, ROSPA, CTC and many other organisations.

>How do you know council
>led courses aren't backed by the Department for Transport,

Neatly avoids the point being made.

>the only initials
>with any credibility you mention, as well ?

The only initials with any real credibility on the subject are CTC
(or ctc if one follows the current fashion).

LARSOA seems to be an (English) organisation of "traditional" road
"safety" officials. You know, the ones who typically see road safety
as a matter of people getting out of the way of their car. There are
exceptions to this stereotype, but it is still valid as a
stereotype.

DfT and RoSPA are part of the problem, not the solution. The reasons
are well documented, for example in "Death on the Streets".

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen wrote:

> >> The new National Standard for Cycle Training - the replacement for the
> >> old cycling proficiency - has been developed and endorsed by DfT,
> >> LARSOA, ROSPA, CTC and many other organisations.

> DfT and RoSPA are part of the problem, not the solution.

DfT provided funding for development of the new Standards as well as for
training instructors.
For that they should be encouraged.

I too have reservatons about much of what ROSPA does, but at least in
respect of instruction they have been generally supportive.

John B

On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:59:32 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>DfT and RoSPA are part of the problem, not the solution. The reasons
>are well documented, for example in "Death on the Streets".

I think that the DfT have moved on. The new National Standards are a
big step in the right direction.

My brother is being given a half day's instruction to run a cycle
awareness course, funded by Somerset County Council and RoSPA. This
is not to the National Standards.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 18:59:20 +0100 someone who may be Tilly
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>DfT and RoSPA are part of the problem, not the solution. The reasons
>>are well documented, for example in "Death on the Streets".

>I think that the DfT have moved on.

Perhaps. I suspect that it is little more than greenwash at the
moment, as it is in Scotland.

>The new National Standards are a
>big step in the right direction.

I'm sure they are, but that does not mean the step could not have
been bigger, or that they are not moving the ground backwards at the
same time.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:30:11 +0100, "Jeremy Parker"
<[email protected]>:

>I see that the DfT have issued a new Disney bike safety comic. Is it
>as dire as the last one was?

Put it this way: Fat Eric would love it.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken