cycling is a very dangerous sport...

asterope

New Member
Jun 6, 2006
... and you would be wise to give it up.

thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.

i was going to ask him to explain his reasoning but didnt feel like getting a schpeil so i grabbed by keys and left.

so, inform me... how is cycling on a road obeying the road rules, keeping a consistent rhythm and not hugging the gutter more dangerous than scooting on a main road, obeying the road rules...?

yes, i know that with my scooter i can keep up with traffic easier, but i get just the same amount of fsckheads getting too close, overtaking within an inch of my handlebars and pulling out in front of me as i do on the bike... at least on the bike i am going slower and have more time to brake/avoid an accident. I have minimal protection on both forms of transport, so if i fall, im going to lose skin on both... if i get hit on a bike i get a few kilos of bike on me, as opposed to around 70 kilos of scooter on me... and if worse comes to worse i can always ride a bike on the footpath.

i spend just as much time avoiding idiots on the road on my scooter as i do on my bike. i dont see how its any safer? to me, apart from the speed and petrol factor, they are the same sh*t, different colour, and using either one ensures you get no respect on brisbane roads at least.

im sure lots of us have had people telling them that cycling is dangerous, but coming from a guy that rides big fast motorbikes, i thought it was a bit rich.

Dude, I get that all the time.

At a bbq the other weekend, I was encouraging a mate of mine to cycle
to work (he's a nurse at a major hospital).

His wife piped in and said that it would be irresponsible to do
something so dangerous, when he could be leaving behind a wife and 3
kids. Then she pointedly looked at my two daughters......

Anyway - they're the ones that miss out on the joys of bike riding.
Doesn't bother me if they miss out..... *grins*

Cheers,
Abby

asterope said:
im sure lots of us have had people telling them that cycling is dangerous, but coming from a guy that rides big fast motorbikes, i thought it was a bit rich.

I had a anesthetist try a similar tact on me a couple of months ago, ie: the pre-op session about risks, health factors blahblahblah. He mentioned "cycling was a dangerous activity".

I duly started rattling off all activity has a inherent level of risk, the longterm health issues and massive costs created by sedentary lifestyles and why not have a look at TAC stats and comparing road user groups to injuries, deaths, medical costs etc.

That shut him up in under a minute, although he may not of wanted to argue.. ;)

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:05:40 +1100
asterope <[email protected]> wrote:

> .. and you would be wise to give it up.
>
> thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to
> pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.

Heh. got to love motorcycle types who think cyclists are suicidal.

"everybody needs somebody that they can look down on"

Zebee

Hmmm

54 pedestrians as opposed to 12 cyclists!
Looks like walking is a irresponsible past time and should be avoided as you
may leave family members behind.
And just to make sure, I'll ride my bike to the letterbox and back!

Sorry about my smart alex remark but I'm tired of people with these sort of
comments that know nothing about cycling.
3 years ago I was around 100Kgs, these days I'm around mid 70Kg mark and
it's cycling that keeps me there. I ride, enjoy and exercise at the same
time. Gym, running, etc bores me and gone from a fatty to riding 2-300k
Audax rides, club rides, etc, so I think it's saved me in some ways. And I'm
saving heaps on petrol and car maintenance.
This far outweighs the risks.

Joe

news:[email protected]...

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> "everybody needs somebody that they can look down on"

Isn't that what bent riders are for? :)

....cycles uphill to get away from Zebee...!
--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

<snip>
Heh. got to love motorcycle types who think cyclists are suicidal.
</snip>

Agreed.

Whenever I see a motorcyclist (and from my experience, about 75% are
guilty of this) wearing thongs, sandals, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts or
no gloves (basically getting about without adequate safety gear on) I
think "there goes someone with a death wish".

Having said that, I would like to get a motorbike one of these years.
For the record, I'm 33 years old and I figure that when I finally buy a
motorbike, I will probably be somewhere in my 40's so I'm drawing a
line in the sand now: I want to one day purchas a motorbike and when I
do, it's not because of a mid-life crisis!!!! Needless to say, I won't
be purchasing a bike until I can also get the boots, gloves, leather
jacket (or motorcycling jacket with body armour) at the same time (I
already have a helmet).

cfsmtb wrote:
> asterope Wrote:
> >
> > im sure lots of us have had people telling them that cycling is
> > dangerous, but coming from a guy that rides big fast motorbikes, i
> > thought it was a bit rich.

> I had a anesthetist try a similar tact on me a couple of months ago,
> ie: the pre-op session about risks, health factors blahblahblah. He
> mentioned "cycling was a dangerous activity".
>
> I duly started rattling off all activity has a inherent level of risk,
> the longterm health issues and massive costs created by sedentary
> lifestyles and why not have a look at 'TAC stats'
> (http://tinyurl.com/y5xgwz) and comparing road user groups to injuries,
> deaths, medical costs etc.
>
> That shut him up in under a minute, although he may not of wanted to
> argue.. ;)
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Did you wake up with inexplicable aches and pains?

Donga

"Bugbear.1973" wrote:

> <snip>
> Heh. got to love motorcycle types who think cyclists are suicidal.
> </snip>
>
> Agreed.
>
> Whenever I see a motorcyclist (and from my experience, about 75% are
> guilty of this) wearing thongs, sandals, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts or
> no gloves (basically getting about without adequate safety gear on) I
> think "there goes someone with a death wish".

<snip>

I take it you mean when you see them on the highway doing
that? Because if they were ducking to the local shops on
their motorbike, averaging say 40km/h for a total of 5-10
minutes, it would be rather hypocritical for a road-using
cyclist to think that implies a death wish.

(Note I didn't say it would be WRONG of them to think that,
just hypocritical. I have never donned leathers, boots or a
full face helmet to ride my bicycle - not my thing.)

Tam

asterope wrote:

> ... and you would be wise to give it up.
>
> thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to
> pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.

Next time, just tell him your stupid crazy friend runs
everywhere. That'll take turn the focus from the dangers of
cycling to the stupidity of running... ;)

Tam

On Nov 29, 12:05 pm, asterope
<[email protected]> wrote:
> ... and you would be wise to give it up.
>
> thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to
> pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.
>
> i was going to ask him to explain his reasoning but didnt feel like
> getting a schpeil so i grabbed by keys and left.
>
> so, inform me... how is cycling on a road obeying the road rules,
> keeping a consistent rhythm and not hugging the gutter more dangerous
> than scooting on a main road, obeying the road rules...?
>
> yes, i know that with my scooter i can keep up with traffic easier, but
> i get just the same amount of fsckheads getting too close, overtaking
> within an inch of my handlebars and pulling out in front of me as i do
> on the bike... at least on the bike i am going slower and have more
> time to brake/avoid an accident. I have minimal protection on both
> forms of transport, so if i fall, im going to lose skin on both... if i
> get hit on a bike i get a few kilos of bike on me, as opposed to around
> 70 kilos of scooter on me... and if worse comes to worse i can always
> ride a bike on the footpath.
>
> i spend just as much time avoiding idiots on the road on my scooter as
> i do on my bike. i dont see how its any safer? to me, apart from the
> speed and petrol factor, they are the same sh*t, different colour, and
> using either one ensures you get no respect on brisbane roads at
> least.
>
> im sure lots of us have had people telling them that cycling is
> dangerous, but coming from a guy that rides big fast motorbikes, i
> thought it was a bit rich.

That ***** me, and if he really is a rider not just a mechanic he
should have known better. Probably should know better anyway, tossers
waffling on about how you'll die because you ride a motorcycle **** me
off, and it's certainly news to me that cycling was such a life
threatening activity! I thought quite the opposite.

Then again, I suppose your scooter mechanic would say that, woudln't
he? More time on your scooter = more $$ for him ;-)

Bugbear.1973 said:
<snip>
[...]

My top speed on the roadie this morning was 61.3km/h in a 60 zone. If I was on a motorbike the top speed limit for the entire trip was 70km/h. I had Lycra and a little helmet on, why would shorts and a t-shirt be suicidal in comparison? (I too would have all the correct protective gear for a motorbike, doesnt mean I would wear it all for a commute to work or a sedate local trip.)

I believe there is really only one reason a Bicycle is more dangerous than a Motorbike and that is because you are relying on everyone to pass you with out hitting you. Really it is putting faith in other people. As a motorbike you are activly in the flow of traffic where people changing lanes on you is a problem but one that can be avoided. The only thing truely dangerous on a sports type motorbike is the power. That can be controlled through the throttle which is controlled by the rider. Idiots will be idiots, and wipe themselves out on something of some description sometime.

On Nov 29, 3:17 pm, "Bugbear.1973" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Whenever I see a motorcyclist (and from my experience, about 75% are
> guilty of this) wearing thongs, sandals, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts or
> no gloves (basically getting about without adequate safety gear on) I
> think "there goes someone with a death wish".

When in fact you should think "There goes someone who is prepared to
accept the consequences of their actions." I ride my motorcycle and
scooter in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers from time to time in summer,
it's my choice. I know I'm in for a serious dose of road rash if I
come off, but that's my problem. Denim lasts aproximately 1/2 a second
on bitumen anyway and I don't own leather pants, nor would I wear them
for around town trips in summer time if I did.

I feel safer on my motorcycle/scooter at 50kph wearing a full face
helmet and leather gloves than I do on my bicycle at the same speed
wearing a glorified styrofoam esky on my head and no gloves (all other
clothing being equal). No amount of saftey equipment will compensate
for an absence of situational awareness while riding in any case.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:15:24 +1100
Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> "everybody needs somebody that they can look down on"

> Isn't that what bent riders are for? :)
>
> ...cycles uphill to get away from Zebee...!

But wait till the downhill!

After all, it's all downhill from here.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:30:34 +1000
Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

> (Note I didn't say it would be WRONG of them to think that,
> just hypocritical. I have never donned leathers, boots or a
> full face helmet to ride my bicycle - not my thing.)

What, no fullface for the MTB?

And I know why Real Cyclists don't wear leather. can't get it tight
enough over the bum!

Zebee
- emulating Bean, but getting away downhill.

In aus.bicycle on 28 Nov 2006 20:17:42 -0800
Bugbear.1973 <[email protected]> wrote:
><snip>
> Heh. got to love motorcycle types who think cyclists are suicidal.
></snip>
>
> Agreed.
>
> Whenever I see a motorcyclist (and from my experience, about 75% are
> guilty of this) wearing thongs, sandals, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts or
> no gloves (basically getting about without adequate safety gear on) I
> think "there goes someone with a death wish".

Well, that's what people say abot cyclists you know "Wearing bugger
all and going at speed!"

Road rash is, as I suspect more than a few people here know,
uncomfortable but not life threatening.

And not inevitable either!

The only protective kit on a motorcycle that might save your life at
city speeds is the helmet. Anything else is just about how many
dressings you'll be changing.

So it's not a death wish, it's an "I bet I won't get road rash" wish,
which they share with every cyclist on the planet :)

Zebee

[email protected] wrote:
<snip>
> No amount of saftey equipment will compensate
> for an absence of situational awareness while riding in any case.

And that sums it up beautifully.

The other one that all 50cc scooter riders hear sooner or
later is "they're unsafe, you need more power to get out of
bad situations."

Just don't put yourself into a bad situation, and you'll be
fine.

Meanwhile, why do we not require a motorbike licence for a
50cc scooter but we do for all others? Surely you need
better situational awareness, patience and decision making
skills on a 50cc? Most of my friends who ride scooters were
cyclists first and I put that down as a reason why they've
had so few problems.

Tam

Bugbear.1973 wrote:
> <snip>
> Heh. got to love motorcycle types who think cyclists are suicidal.
> </snip>
>
> Agreed.
>
> Whenever I see a motorcyclist (and from my experience, about 75% are
> guilty of this) wearing thongs, sandals, sneakers, shorts, t-shirts or
> no gloves (basically getting about without adequate safety gear on) I
> think "there goes someone with a death wish".
>
> Having said that, I would like to get a motorbike one of these years.
> For the record, I'm 33 years old and I figure that when I finally buy
> a motorbike, I will probably be somewhere in my 40's so I'm drawing a
> line in the sand now: I want to one day purchas a motorbike and when I
> do, it's not because of a mid-life crisis!!!! Needless to say, I
> won't be purchasing a bike until I can also get the boots, gloves,
> leather jacket (or motorcycling jacket with body armour) at the same
> time (I already have a helmet).

ROTFL. Another safety Nazi.
My experience as a motorcyclist is that less than 5% of motorcyclists are
"guilty" of this.
I bought a new motorcycle four weeks ago at age 63. No, not a mid (or late)
life crisis, I also bought one at age 20, 22, 28, 30, 32, 41, and 51. This
is not counting ones I bought for my wife and my children.

I bought a jacket with body armour and removed it. Secondary safety tends to
be painful, I much prefer avoiding accidents to being "protected" in one.

Theo

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:30:34 +1000
> Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > (Note I didn't say it would be WRONG of them to think that,
> > just hypocritical. I have never donned leathers, boots or a
> > full face helmet to ride my bicycle - not my thing.)
> >

> What, no fullface for the MTB?

It'd be overkill at the 12km/h I average ;) Hehehehe.

> And I know why Real Cyclists don't wear leather. can't get it tight
> enough over the bum!

Just look at the cows!

Tam

In aus.bicycle on 28 Nov 2006 20:37:23 -0800
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> That ***** me, and if he really is a rider not just a mechanic he
> should have known better. Probably should know better anyway, tossers

Maybe he just rides small scooters and thinks the riders of big bad
motorcycles are the suicidal ones?

People have the strangest blind spots. One of those irregular verbs,
My two wheeled transport is sensible, yours is dangerous, his is
suicidal?

Zebee