cycling is a very dangerous sport...

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 04:47:29 -0800, Travis wrote:

> http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/061122_bike_pain.html

I'm sorry, but "at least 10 miles per week" is not a lot for a
"competitive cyclist", and makes me wonder just how little riding is done,
and how badly set up the bike is. If you're not used to an activity it's
going to hurt until your body adapts, and the kind of damage they're
talking about is not adaptation.

Obviously I'm not female, but I can't imagine riding multiple hundreds of
kilometres with serious pain in the area you're sitting on. This sounds
exactly like the "cycling causes impotence" study that gets trotted out
every few months: Poorly researched, overly general, and inaccurate (At
least, I haven't heard anyone here thanking the spamgods for all those
v14gr4 offers).

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
A man might spend his life peering at the private life of elementary

BT Humble said:
Nope, it's mine. By the way, I don't recall receiving your annual
usage fee this year...?

What payment method would you prefer? Six pack of choice or homebrew?

Dave Hughes wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 04:47:29 -0800, Travis wrote:
>
>> http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/061122_bike_pain.html

> I'm sorry, but "at least 10 miles per week" is not a lot for a
> "competitive cyclist", and makes me wonder just how little riding is done,
> and how badly set up the bike is. If you're not used to an activity it's
> going to hurt until your body adapts, and the kind of damage they're
> talking about is not adaptation.
>
> Obviously I'm not female, but I can't imagine riding multiple hundreds of
> kilometres with serious pain in the area you're sitting on. This sounds
> exactly like the "cycling causes impotence" study that gets trotted out
> every few months: Poorly researched, overly general, and inaccurate (At
> least, I haven't heard anyone here thanking the spamgods for all those
> v14gr4 offers).

As you say, 10 miles per week is not a lot. Even for commuting.

The media is doing a good job of spreading that kind of scary information,
probably on the basis of their impression that sitting on a saddle
is "obviously" a form of self-harm. Non-cyclists glance at a skinny bike
saddle and say 'You ride on THAT?.

Oh well, at least it gives those on trikes and recumbents a chance to get
even with the smart quips.

Cheers,

Vince

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:23:42 +0800
Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh well, at least it gives those on trikes and recumbents a chance to get
> even with the smart quips.

Would we do that?

Zebee
- who doesn't get sore hands or neck either....

cfsmtb wrote:
> BT Humble Wrote:
> >
> > Nope, it's mine. By the way, I don't recall receiving your annual
> > usage fee this year...?

> What payment method would you prefer? Six pack of choice or homebrew?

Krugerrands this year, I'm afraid!

BTH

Travis said:
asterope wrote:
> ... and you would be wise to give it up.
>
> thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to
> pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.
>
> i was going to ask him to explain his reasoning but didnt feel like
> getting a schpeil so i grabbed by keys and left.

Maybe he was right after all:

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/061122_bike_pain.html

Travis
gotta love those 'studies'... next thing they will be saying that cycling makes your brain bleed.