cycling is a very dangerous sport...

Donga said:
Did you wake up with inexplicable aches and pains?

The morphine after effects were shitful, but seriously though that had probably nothing to do with him. :p

<snip>
> I take it you mean when you see them on the highway doing
> that? Because if they were ducking to the local shops on
> their motorbike, averaging say 40km/h for a total of 5-10
> minutes, it would be rather hypocritical for a road-using
> cyclist to think that implies a death wish.

</snip>
What you say has merit - a trip to the local shops using mostly
neighbourhood streets where the average speed is 40km/h (I can only
wish I could hold this average on my bike on a trip to the local
shops!!!) would have approximately the same level of risk for a cyclist
vs a motorcyclist.

It's when you get onto 4 and 6 lane main roads that the risk level
increases. I can only speak for myself when I say that I keep right
away from the really busy roads. It's on the busy roads where you want
all the protection you can get. I don't really think these busy roads
are appropriate for cyclists.

Cheers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> "everybody needs somebody that they can look down on"

Which is why we have 'bent riders ;-)

Parbs

Bugbear.1973 wrote:
> <snip>
> > I take it you mean when you see them on the highway doing
> > that? Because if they were ducking to the local shops on
> > their motorbike, averaging say 40km/h for a total of 5-10
> > minutes, it would be rather hypocritical for a road-using
> > cyclist to think that implies a death wish.

> </snip>
> What you say has merit - a trip to the local shops using mostly
> neighbourhood streets where the average speed is 40km/h (I can only
> wish I could hold this average on my bike on a trip to the local
> shops!!!) would have approximately the same level of risk for a cyclist
> vs a motorcyclist.
>
> It's when you get onto 4 and 6 lane main roads that the risk level
> increases. I can only speak for myself when I say that I keep right
> away from the really busy roads. It's on the busy roads where you want
> all the protection you can get. I don't really think these busy roads
> are appropriate for cyclists.
>
> Cheers

Bugbear.1973, you lose at the perceived risk equal actual risk game...

40km zones are that way because of all the distractions, lots of cars
parking, pretty shop windows, peoiple walking, car doors.

Much safer on a 60/70 km road with a wide outside lane, minimal
intersections

asterope wrote:
> ... and you would be wise to give it up.

I guess it depends on whether he was talking about cycling as a sport or
cycling as a means of transport. As a sport cycling *is* dangerous.

As a mode of transport it's arguably safer than walking.
--
Cheers
Euan

Paulie-AU wrote:

> I believe there is really only one reason a Bicycle is more dangerous
> than a Motorbike

Err, it isn't. Riding a motorcycle is far more risky.

> The only thing truely dangerous on a sports type motorbike is the power.
> That can be controlled through the throttle which is controlled by the
> rider.

What makes a motorcycle more dangerous than a bicycle is the speed at
which everything happens. Where motorcycle fatalities are concerned the
most common factor is speed.
--
Cheers
Euan

Of course cycling is dangerous.

Why else do most wear helmets?

asterope wrote:
> ... and you would be wise to give it up.
>
> thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to
> pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.
>
> i was going to ask him to explain his reasoning but didnt feel like
> getting a schpeil so i grabbed by keys and left.
>
> so, inform me... how is cycling on a road obeying the road rules,
> keeping a consistent rhythm and not hugging the gutter more dangerous
> than scooting on a main road, obeying the road rules...?
>
> yes, i know that with my scooter i can keep up with traffic easier, but
> i get just the same amount of fsckheads getting too close, overtaking
> within an inch of my handlebars and pulling out in front of me as i do
> on the bike... at least on the bike i am going slower and have more
> time to brake/avoid an accident. I have minimal protection on both
> forms of transport, so if i fall, im going to lose skin on both... if i
> get hit on a bike i get a few kilos of bike on me, as opposed to around
> 70 kilos of scooter on me... and if worse comes to worse i can always
> ride a bike on the footpath.
>
> i spend just as much time avoiding idiots on the road on my scooter as
> i do on my bike. i dont see how its any safer? to me, apart from the
> speed and petrol factor, they are the same sh*t, different colour, and
> using either one ensures you get no respect on brisbane roads at
> least.
>
> im sure lots of us have had people telling them that cycling is
> dangerous, but coming from a guy that rides big fast motorbikes, i
> thought it was a bit rich.
>

> --
> asterope

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:05:40 +1100, asterope
<[email protected]> wrote:

>.. and you would be wise to give it up.
>
>thats what i was told by one of the mechanics yesterday when i went to
>pick up my scooter when he asked how i had been getting around.
>
>i was going to ask him to explain his reasoning but didnt feel like
>getting a schpeil so i grabbed by keys and left.
>
>so, inform me... how is cycling on a road obeying the road rules,
>keeping a consistent rhythm and not hugging the gutter more dangerous
>than scooting on a main road, obeying the road rules...?
>
>yes, i know that with my scooter i can keep up with traffic easier, but
>i get just the same amount of fsckheads getting too close, overtaking
>within an inch of my handlebars and pulling out in front of me as i do
>on the bike... at least on the bike i am going slower and have more
>time to brake/avoid an accident. I have minimal protection on both
>forms of transport, so if i fall, im going to lose skin on both... if i
>get hit on a bike i get a few kilos of bike on me, as opposed to around
>70 kilos of scooter on me... and if worse comes to worse i can always
>ride a bike on the footpath.
>
>i spend just as much time avoiding idiots on the road on my scooter as
>i do on my bike. i dont see how its any safer? to me, apart from the
>speed and petrol factor, they are the same sh*t, different colour, and
>using either one ensures you get no respect on brisbane roads at
>least.
>
>im sure lots of us have had people telling them that cycling is
>dangerous, but coming from a guy that rides big fast motorbikes, i
>thought it was a bit rich.

My opinion, let the flames begin.

Scooters use the road and are hated by car drivers.
Bike riders use the road and are hated by car drivers.
Scooter riders share the raod knowing that car drivers hate them
Most (please note i said "most") bike riders think they own the road
knowing that car drivers hate them.

I ride a scooter and on alternate days ride a bike. I know that car
drivers hate me on either. I feel safer on the scooter, although not
much. I am aware that i have to share the raod with cars. I dont think
I own the road.

Absent Husband wrote:
> Dude, I get that all the time.
>
> At a bbq the other weekend, I was encouraging a mate of mine to cycle
> to work (he's a nurse at a major hospital).
>
> His wife piped in and said that it would be irresponsible to do
> something so dangerous, when he could be leaving behind a wife and 3
> kids. Then she pointedly looked at my two daughters......
>
> Anyway - they're the ones that miss out on the joys of bike riding.
> Doesn't bother me if they miss out..... *grins*
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

Of course a wife like that is likely to get left behind deliberately!

The Real Andy said:
I am aware that i have to share the raod with cars. I dont think I own the road.

No one "owns" the road, it's placed there by governments and maintained by consolidated revenue. All road users share it via their comprehension of the road rules and varying degrees of commonsense.

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:59:09 GMT, Euan <[email protected]> wrote:

>asterope wrote:
>> ... and you would be wise to give it up.

>I guess it depends on whether he was talking about cycling as a sport or
> cycling as a means of transport. As a sport cycling *is* dangerous.

an awful lot of sports are dangerous, all footballs, skiing, ...

The Real Andy said:
My opinion, let the flames begin.
Nah, you haven't brought up helmets.

Scooters use the road and are hated by car drivers.
Bike riders use the road and are hated by car drivers.
I'm a car driver. I don't hate anyone.

I'm a cyclist. I share the road.

Can't comment on scooters, never needed one.

On 29 Nov 2006 01:36:28 -0800, "Wally" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course cycling is dangerous.
>
>Why else do most wear helmets?

because its the law, except in Canberra a lot don't and the police
don't seem to care, and most cyclists don't wear helmets if you take a
world view.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:57:31 GMT
Parbs <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> "everybody needs somebody that they can look down on"
>>

> Which is why we have 'bent riders ;-)

Oh good, I was beginning to worry no one would take the cue!

Zebee
who gets to look down on trike riders, but then everyone does that
till the buggers ride under a door.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:02:51 GMT
Euan <[email protected]> wrote:

> What makes a motorcycle more dangerous than a bicycle is the speed at
> which everything happens. Where motorcycle fatalities are concerned the
> most common factor is speed.

Single user can be, although there's a lot of argument about the way
the numbers are tallied. For example in NSW there's no way to say
"road surface" and if there's no other vehicle or witness they tick
the speed box.

multi vehicle crashes in urban areas, no. What kills motorcycle riders
in those is the same as kills cyclists - being hit by a car and either
crush from that, or hitting road/kerb/furniture.

But motorcycles are usually in different places - middle of
intersections, not near the kerbing for example.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:25:06 +1100
EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm a car driver. I don't hate anyone.
>
> I'm a cyclist. I share the road.
>
> Can't comment on scooters, never needed one.

I mostly ride motorcycles and bicycles. Drive a car occasionally.

I am a tad annoyed by taxis but that's about it in the hate stakes.

Zebee

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The Real Andy Wrote:
>> I am aware that i have to share the raod with cars. I dont think I own
>> the road.

> No one "owns" the road, it's placed there by governments and maintained
> by consolidated revenue. All road users share it via their comprehension
> of the road rules and varying degrees of commonsense.

To be pedantic thats not true. Roads are "crown land" which means
ultimately that Bessy owns them.

Cheers

BrettM

Brett Martin said:
To be pedantic thats not true. Roads are "crown land" which means
ultimately that Bessy owns them.

Hrrrrmm, does that include those pesky public private partnerships such as CityLink, EastLink, Eastern Distributor and the apparently vacant Cross City Tunnel?

Aeek said:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:59:09 GMT, Euan <[email protected]> wrote:

>asterope wrote:
>> ... and you would be wise to give it up.

>I guess it depends on whether he was talking about cycling as a sport or
> cycling as a means of transport. As a sport cycling *is* dangerous.

an awful lot of sports are dangerous, all footballs, skiing, ...

Your point?