Cycling is depressing

Peter Simons

Guest
x-no-archive: yes

Not the cycling all the fly tipping and rubbish left by
other road users.

Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can or
coffee cup home ?

Peter

peter simons wrote:

> Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can or
> coffee cup home ?

Obviously. Idiots.

peter simons wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Not the cycling all the fly tipping and rubbish left by
> other road users.
>
> Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can or
> coffee cup home ?

I've been known to take a digital camera with me and then
post a picture of fly tipping in the village shop with a "Is
this your rubbish or do you know who it belongs to? If so
please get the person that dumped it to clean it up and take
it to the local council tip". Its amazing how many times the
rubbish has all disappeared within a day. My assumption is
that no-one drives very far to dump it and some of it is
quite distinctive so that the culprit is either embarassed
or worried that his neighbours will know.

Tony

You think that's bad????? Get this. Some ******* threw a
banana peel ON A CYCLING LANE!!!! This was done on purpose,
I'm sure! It was on Southwark Bridge.

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever
learned in school". No Surrender

"peter simons" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:6Deic.599$yd1.114@newsfe1-win...

?

> Peter

"Vivian" <[email protected]>typed

> You think that's bad????? Get this. Some ******* threw a
> banana peel ON A CYCLING LANE!!!! This was done on
> purpose, I'm sure! It was on Southwark Bridge.

Cycle lanes seem to accumulate much deliberately thrown
glass too. Much worse IMHO.

Vivian wrote:
> You think that's bad????? Get this. Some ******* threw a
> banana peel ON A CYCLING LANE!!!! This was done on
> purpose, I'm sure! It was on Southwark Bridge.

Good job you were wearing your helmet then ;-)

Tony

"peter simons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Not the cycling all the fly tipping and rubbish left by
> other road users.
>
> Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can or
> coffee cup home
?

Bzzt! Woke me up! Don't set me off on one of my Victor
Meldrews. The worst thing about winter cycling on country
lanes is that with the verges and hedges bare all the
rubbish thrown out of cars is clearly visible. Scruffy lazy
bastards. Of course the rubbish is far less visible when
driving due to being lower down, nearer the crown of the
road and using more attention for controlling the machinery.
--
Regards, Pete

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:32:37 +0100, "Vivian" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"peter simons" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:6Deic.599$yd1.114@newsfe1-win...

>> Not the cycling all the fly tipping and rubbish left by
>> other road users.
>>
>> Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can
>> or coffee cup home?

>You think that's bad????? Get this. Some ******* threw a
>banana peel ON A CYCLING LANE!!!! This was done on purpose,
>I'm sure! It was on Southwark Bridge.

Hi Vivian

Last summer, when riding along a cycle lane at the edge of a
dual carrageway, I cycled towards what I thought was a
discarded ice cream cone. As there was both a car and a
train of roadies approaching from behind I chose not to move
into the main part of the road.

As soon as I hit it I realized that what I had thought was a
discarded summer snack was in fact a dead small mammal.

The cycle lane in question is in fact a wide enough
tarmaced area, a part of the actual road to the left of a
white line. It's not a cycle lane as such - I wouldn't be
seen dead in one of those. The same cannot (could not) be
said of the ex-mammal.

James

peter simons wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Not the cycling all the fly tipping and rubbish left by
> other road users.
>
> Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can or
> coffee cup home ?

I've seen this phenomenon while out, and thought about it
for a while. This is obviously "motorists".

How about we launch a campaign against the constant
littering of Britain by "motorists"?

They talk about fools on bikes who zoom through ped shopping
zones as "cyclists". The person who vandalized car tyres was
a "cyclist". OK then, all these people used cars to
transport their **** out there and dump it are "motorists".

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:36:52 +0000 (UTC), ExGuardianReader
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Not the cycling all the fly tipping and rubbish left by
>> other road users.
>>
>> Is it too difficult to take the empty crisp packet. can
>> or coffee cup home ?
>
>I've seen this phenomenon while out, and thought about it
>for a while. This is obviously "motorists".
>
>How about we launch a campaign against the constant
>littering of Britain by "motorists"?
>
>They talk about fools on bikes who zoom through ped
>shopping zones as "cyclists". The person who vandalized car
>tyres was a "cyclist". OK then, all these people used cars
>to transport their **** out there and dump it are
>"motorists".

Hi Ex-G-reader

This is not quite as silly as I first thought. After all,
how many cyclists chuck litter into the road when they're
riding along. Riders have the opportunity to litter when
they stop but seldom otherwise.

Most other road users are able to throw their trash whenever
and where ever they wish.

James

In message <[email protected]>,
James Hodson <[email protected]> writes

>Most other road users are able to throw their trash
>whenever and where ever they wish.

I've seen drivers take the opportunity to empty their
brimming ashtrays all over the floor in parking lots, rather
than walk a few yards to the bin.

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com

In message <[email protected]>, Helen
Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes
>"Vivian" <[email protected]>typed

>> You think that's bad????? Get this. Some ******* threw a
>> banana peel ON A CYCLING LANE!!!! This was done on
>> purpose, I'm sure! It was on Southwark Bridge.
>
>Cycle lanes seem to accumulate much deliberately thrown
>glass too. Much worse IMHO.

On many mornings cycling up the King's Road I pass a street
sweeper (the motorised kind) - but wondered why it didn't
seem to do the parts of cycle lane outside the local pubs
which are often covered with broken beer bottles and glasses
- and more so after televised international rugby.

I suspect it's because the pubs are beyond the boundary
between Kensington & Chelsea and Hammersmith & Fulham
boroughs, and they have different street sweeping
contractors.

Just noticed this on the lbhf website about wearing helmets:
http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/index3.htm

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com

In message <[email protected]>,
Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes
>congokid wrote:
>>
>> Just noticed this on the lbhf website about wearing
>> helmets: http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/index3.htm
>
>Couldn't spot anything on that link

Sorry - didn't realise they've got all their pages to show
the link for the front page - it's on the cycling 'quick
link' on the left navigation bar.

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com

> congokid wrote:
> >
> > Just noticed this on the lbhf website about wearing
> > helmets: http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/index3.htm
>
> Couldn't spot anything on that link

Hey! I work in lbhf. I presume he means the 'Cycling' link -
they trot out the usual "3. Wear bright-coloured clothes and
a cycle safety helmet -it could help to save your life. "

Nothing surprising there then.

Rich

net.net>...
> You think that's bad????? Get this. Some ******* threw a
> banana peel ON A CYCLING LANE!!!! This was done on
> purpose, I'm sure! It was on Southwark Bridge.

Banana skins were invented by hollywood as a more polite
version of dog sh** for the slapstick films. TerryJ

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:09:54 +0100, congokid
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Most other road users are able to throw their trash
>>whenever and where ever they wish.
>
>I've seen drivers take the opportunity to empty their
>brimming ashtrays all over the floor in parking lots,
>rather than walk a few yards to the bin.

Ah, memories, Congokid!

I did just that in St George's Hill, Weybridge, of all
places. Howewver, my brimming ashtray was on fire at
the time and I didn't really want the rest of my car to
set on fire.

FWIW, I stomped out the flames and picked up the rubish as
best as I was able.

James