Cycling is fun

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gary Whittle, May 13, 2003.

  1. Gary Whittle

    Gary Whittle Guest

    Hello,

    I am not sure if any of you guys remember, but I was on this group in January quite a lot - looking
    for advise on a new bike, eventually got the Raleigh Sport 300 - a great bike. I also started a
    massive god forsaken "Helmet war" if I remember correctly by simply asking "Should I wear a helmet".

    Anyway I thought I would share a few experiences and thoughts with you guys, just to say thanks for
    all the great advice back in January.

    When I bought the bike, it was seldom used. I went a few miles to work and back around 4 times a
    week, and maybe cycled to my mothers once or twice doing 15 miles total. Then it got wet.
    Recently though, the last six weeks I have gone cycling daft. I am managing 100+ miles per week
    and loving it.

    My first big cycle was Edinburgh to the Falkirk Wheel and back again, along the old canal. This was
    a very enjoyable ride, extremely easy and recommended if you want a nice relaxing ride with no
    pressure or hills. It was a very hot sunny day when I did the cycle which made it even better. The
    wind on the way back was horrendous - kept me at 6 miles an hour until I hopped on the train at
    Linlithgow to get back to Edinburgh - not ashamed to admit the wind was killing me.

    My second cycle was much more difficult. I started in City Centre Edinburgh and followed the
    following course: Edinburgh > Musselburgh > Gullane > Haddington > Gifford > Musselburgh > Dalkeith
    > Edinburgh. It was around 70 miles and it absolutely drained me of all energy. East Lothian was
    very hilly, especially Gullane to Haddington. The weather again was flawless, this time there were
    no wind issues. The cycle started at 9:30 am and ended around 7:30 pm - a long day. Here is a map of
    our route (see the red line) http://www.garywhittle.co.uk/cycling/maps/route2.jpg

    My latest cycle was from Edinburgh to West Linton and back again. This was lots of fun - although
    one road on the left of the Pentlands hills was VERY windy - head down, and push :). Also, the hill
    up from Roslin Glen was walked - I did not even attempt it.

    I would like to say I am most pleased with the bike I chose. The cycle has a good range of gears (27
    speed), large slick wheels and I would say the bike is perfect for high speed road cycles and non
    extreme off roading. You can easily achieve a constant speed of 25 MPH without too much effort, and
    I have managed 40+ with a very hard push. I am not strong enough to get fast revolutions on the
    stiffest gear, it takes a lot to get to that speed and I am usually puffed out around 37MPH. When
    out with friends I find I pedal around 25% less than everyone else in order not to speed off. I end
    up doing a lot of freewheeling when behind others - if infront I do push ahead quite rapidly.

    To see the bike, visit here: http://www.garywhittle.co.uk/cycling/bikes/sport300.jpg

    Anyway, thought I would share my experience so far! its been fun :)

    Thanks,

    Gary.

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Gary Whittle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am not sure if any of you guys remember, but I was on this group in January quite a lot -
    > looking for advise on a new bike, eventually got the Raleigh Sport 300 - a great bike.

    snip for our sanity

    > Anyway I thought I would share a few experiences and thoughts with you
    guys,
    > just to say thanks for all the great advice back in January.

    snip details

    Welcome to Cyclists Anonymous. Most of us are also addicted.

    Some impressive trips there. Well done.

    Don't bother about not being able to push the biggest gear fast. That's what gears are for -- to
    allow you to find one you can push comfortably fast under almost all conditions.

    Have lots of fun -- the summer's just beginning (which may explain the thunder, lightning and hail
    stones outside my window :(

  3. Panda

    Panda Guest

    glad to hear ur having fun!

    panda

> [...]
    > windy - head down, and push :). Also, the hill up from Roslin Glen was walked - I did not even
    > attempt it.
    >
    > I would like to say I am most pleased with the bike I chose. The cycle
    has
    > a good range of gears (27 speed), large slick wheels and I would say the bike is perfect for high
    > speed road cycles and non extreme off roading.
    You
    > can easily achieve a constant speed of 25 MPH without too much effort, and
    > have managed 40+ with a very hard push. I am not strong enough to get
    fast
    > revolutions on the stiffest gear, it takes a lot to get to that speed and
    > am usually puffed out around 37MPH. When out with friends I find I pedal around 25% less than
    > everyone else in order not to speed off. I end up doing a lot of freewheeling when behind others -
    ahead

  4. On Tue, 13 May 2003 13:32:29 GMT, Gary Whittle wrote:
    >bike is perfect for high speed road cycles and non extreme off roading. You can easily achieve a
    >constant speed of 25 MPH without too much effort, and I have managed 40+ with a very hard push. I
    >am not strong enough to get fast revolutions on the stiffest gear, it takes a lot to get to that
    >speed and I am usually puffed out around 37MPH.

    On the flats? Surely you mean kph? Or else call the British Cycling head coach now.

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 May 2003 13:32:29 GMT, Gary Whittle wrote:
    >
    >>bike is perfect for high speed road cycles and non extreme off roading. You can easily achieve a
    >>constant speed of 25 MPH without too much effort, and I have managed 40+ with a very hard push. I
    >>am not strong enough to get fast revolutions on the stiffest gear, it takes a lot to get to that
    >>speed and I am usually puffed out around 37MPH.
    >
    > On the flats? Surely you mean kph? Or else call the British Cycling head coach now.

    My thought was that the computer needed recalibrating. I can only achieve about 20 constant on the
    flats "without too much effort" if I've got a raging tailwind!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Gary Whittle wrote:
    > Hello,

    <snips .. >

    > Anyway, thought I would share my experience so far! its been fun :)

    Heheheh, nice to hear someone enjoying it .. ;)

    Well done on the trips.

    --

    Completed 1666 Seti work units in 12694 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:49:48 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have lots of fun -- the summer's just beginning (which may explain the thunder, lightning and hail
    >stones outside my window :(

    I just encountered the same this afternoon, hoping to get from Carlisle to Hexham (on Brompton) then
    train to Wylam. Was pleased to make it to Haltwhistle - soaking wet and freezing. Next train wasn't
    due for another 45 mins so into the station hotel for a guiness and dry off with a beer towel!
    Needed a lift home from Wylam station as feet had been numb for 2 and a half hours, finally restored
    to normal after 20 mins in the bath.

    Pete angeltec co uk

  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Gary Whittle <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I also started a massive god forsaken "Helmet war" if I remember correctly by simply asking
    > "Should I wear a helmet".

    Incooommmiiiiinnggg!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. Gary

    Gary Guest

    It was on the flat, but I constantly climbed slowly until I hit 37MPH then gave up.

    I was pushing very very hard on a flat road which is between Edinburgh and West Linton - the
    Pentlands are on the right when heading back towards Edinburgh, a nice road. I also think a strong
    wind was behind me which helped allot - and remember I JUST hit 37 and slowed right back to around
    23. It was fun but I got tired.

    Thanks,

    Gary.

    > On Tue, 13 May 2003 13:32:29 GMT, Gary Whittle wrote:
    > >bike is perfect for high speed road cycles and non extreme off roading.
    You
    > >can easily achieve a constant speed of 25 MPH without too much effort,
    and I
    > >have managed 40+ with a very hard push. I am not strong enough to get
    fast
    > >revolutions on the stiffest gear, it takes a lot to get to that speed and
    > >am usually puffed out around 37MPH.
    >
    > On the flats? Surely you mean kph? Or else call the British Cycling head coach now.

  10. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am usually puffed out around 37MPH.
    > >
    > > On the flats? Surely you mean kph? Or else call the British Cycling head coach now.
    > It was on the flat, but I constantly climbed slowly until I hit 37MPH then gave up.
    >
    > I was pushing very very hard on a flat road which is between Edinburgh and West Linton - the
    > Pentlands are on the right when heading back towards Edinburgh, a nice road. I also think a strong
    > wind was behind me which helped allot - and remember I JUST hit 37 and slowed right back to around
    > 23. It was fun but I got tired.

    You "think" you had a strong wind behind you? Even with a powerful tail wind your speeds would be
    impressive, but you did say you are "usually puffed out at 37 mph" which implies that you regularly
    achieve these speeds in general conditions. If this is the case then either your computer is
    optimistic or you are a world class cyclist.

    37 mph would give you a 25 mile time of 40:33 or a 10 mile time of
    16:13. Either of these would shatter the UK competion record. In fact your 25 mile time would just
    lift the RRA record which is set in a single direction in favourable conditions. Bear in mind
    that records are set on extreme competition bikes by talented riders at the peak of their
    physical conditioning.

    It might be a good idea to measure one of your routes very carefully on a map, then ride the route
    noting your start and finish time. This will allow you to calculate your average speed. Then compare
    your actual speed and distance with what your computer says you've done.

    --
    Dave...

  11. On 14 May 2003 01:36:40 -0700, Dave Kahn wrote:
    >"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> think a strong wind was behind me which helped allot - and remember I JUST hit 37 and slowed
    >> right back to around
    >> 23. It was fun but I got tired.
    >
    >It might be a good idea to measure one of your routes very carefully on a map, then ride the route
    >noting your start and finish time. This will allow you to calculate your average speed. Then
    >compare your actual speed and distance with what your computer says you've done.

    I still think it's set on kph (37 kph = 23 mph).

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I still think it's set on kph (37 kph = 23 mph).

    I think that's the most likely explanation too. If the speeds Gary quotes are actually kph they are
    still quite respectable, but they are also realistic. I've just looked up Chris Hoy's Commonwealth
    Games gold medal winning time for the kilometre. At 1:01.726 Hoy's average speed was 58.32 kph or
    36.45 mph. So if Hoy allowed Gary the advantage of a flying start on his Raleigh Sport 300 while
    himself taking a standing start on his disk wheeled carbon track bike he would just fail to catch
    him by the finish.

    --
    Dave...