Cycling is not dangerous

Bleve

Guest
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> <snip>
> > I have a new coaching client who is *shitscared* of riding on the road.
> > I'm not sure yet how to deal with this aprehension he has. At least
> > he's prepared to give it a go though. But, as a road rider I get my
> > fair share of close calls (and I choose where I ride pretty carefully!)
> > and I can more than understand the perception of danger. It *is*
> > dangerous being unarmoured near cars traveling at speed such that if
> > they hit you, if you're lucky you get away with major injuries.

> <snip>
>
> 'Morning!
>
> Is your client scared in a bunch or on his own? Is he really scared of
> the traffic or of his cycling skills? Perhaps assuring him of his skills
> in a less threatening environment will make him feel more prepared to
> deal with whatever comes up on the road?

I don't know yet, as I haven't had a chance to go riding with him and
see how he rides. I suspect that he's a nervous character asis, based
on our meeting, but until I've had a chance to go for a ride with him,
I don't know.

We'll be able to sort it out once I know what the problem is!

Bleve

Guest
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> <snip>
> > I have a new coaching client who is *shitscared* of riding on the road.
> > I'm not sure yet how to deal with this aprehension he has. At least
> > he's prepared to give it a go though. But, as a road rider I get my
> > fair share of close calls (and I choose where I ride pretty carefully!)
> > and I can more than understand the perception of danger. It *is*
> > dangerous being unarmoured near cars traveling at speed such that if
> > they hit you, if you're lucky you get away with major injuries.

> <snip>
>
> 'Morning!
>
> Is your client scared in a bunch or on his own? Is he really scared of
> the traffic or of his cycling skills? Perhaps assuring him of his skills
> in a less threatening environment will make him feel more prepared to
> deal with whatever comes up on the road?

I don't know yet, as I haven't had a chance to go riding with him and
see how he rides. I suspect that he's a nervous character asis, based
on our meeting, but until I've had a chance to go for a ride with him,
I don't know.

We'll be able to sort it out once I know what the problem is!

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Tamyka Bell said:
I agree, "yeah, I'm suicidally self destructive, but drugs and alcohol were too damn expensive so I took up cycling."

Sheeesh now I'm thinking about this, all those nasty bad habits *one* used have, previously to returning to cycling. They're virtually all disappeared. Funny that. BTW in regards to GPLama's charming rellies, if a blood relative said ANYTHING like that to me - It Would Be On. Either one or both parents would probably join in (on my side of course). :D

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Tamyka Bell said:
I agree, "yeah, I'm suicidally self destructive, but drugs and alcohol were too damn expensive so I took up cycling."

Sheeesh now I'm thinking about this, all those nasty bad habits *one* used have, previously to returning to cycling. They're virtually all disappeared. Funny that. BTW in regards to GPLama's charming rellies, if a blood relative said ANYTHING like that to me - It Would Be On. Either one or both parents would probably join in (on my side of course). :D

Tamyka Bell

Guest
Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I have a new coaching client who is *shitscared* of riding on the road.
> > > I'm not sure yet how to deal with this aprehension he has. At least
> > > he's prepared to give it a go though. But, as a road rider I get my
> > > fair share of close calls (and I choose where I ride pretty carefully!)
> > > and I can more than understand the perception of danger. It *is*
> > > dangerous being unarmoured near cars traveling at speed such that if
> > > they hit you, if you're lucky you get away with major injuries.

> > <snip>
> >
> > 'Morning!
> >
> > Is your client scared in a bunch or on his own? Is he really scared of
> > the traffic or of his cycling skills? Perhaps assuring him of his skills
> > in a less threatening environment will make him feel more prepared to
> > deal with whatever comes up on the road?

> I don't know yet, as I haven't had a chance to go riding with him and
> see how he rides. I suspect that he's a nervous character asis, based
> on our meeting, but until I've had a chance to go for a ride with him,
> I don't know.
>
> We'll be able to sort it out once I know what the problem is!

Or you could just smack him around a bit. That usually sorts 'em out ;)

Tamyka Bell

Guest
Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I have a new coaching client who is *shitscared* of riding on the road.
> > > I'm not sure yet how to deal with this aprehension he has. At least
> > > he's prepared to give it a go though. But, as a road rider I get my
> > > fair share of close calls (and I choose where I ride pretty carefully!)
> > > and I can more than understand the perception of danger. It *is*
> > > dangerous being unarmoured near cars traveling at speed such that if
> > > they hit you, if you're lucky you get away with major injuries.

> > <snip>
> >
> > 'Morning!
> >
> > Is your client scared in a bunch or on his own? Is he really scared of
> > the traffic or of his cycling skills? Perhaps assuring him of his skills
> > in a less threatening environment will make him feel more prepared to
> > deal with whatever comes up on the road?

> I don't know yet, as I haven't had a chance to go riding with him and
> see how he rides. I suspect that he's a nervous character asis, based
> on our meeting, but until I've had a chance to go for a ride with him,
> I don't know.
>
> We'll be able to sort it out once I know what the problem is!

Or you could just smack him around a bit. That usually sorts 'em out ;)

dave

Guest
SuzieB wrote:
> EuanB Wrote:
>
>>This weekend I had the pleasure of being part of my brother-in-law's
>>marraige, and hence met quite a few new people.
>>
>>Throughout the course of the weekend it became known that I ride to
>>work.
>>

> It was a strange weekend. I had a number of conversations with people
> about Euan riding to work. I think people are impressed but also think
> 2 hours in the saddle each day is a little nuts until I point out the
> financial and health benefits.
>
> The other thing I discovered is that my mum has been telling everyone
> that I am doing triathlons so I am now a "triathlete". Well, wannabe is
> more like it but I now have quite a reputation to live up to so I guess
> I had better keep training! :D

Its all motivation. :)

Ian and I did the normal training ride... up toronga rd.. under the
walkway at the roundabout and down.. is it balaclava? and carlisle to
st kilda and then aspy and back. We averaged 29.2 was on scedule for
30 until we hit far too many lights.. 30 would be a PB

Dave

dave

Guest
SuzieB wrote:
> EuanB Wrote:
>
>>This weekend I had the pleasure of being part of my brother-in-law's
>>marraige, and hence met quite a few new people.
>>
>>Throughout the course of the weekend it became known that I ride to
>>work.
>>

> It was a strange weekend. I had a number of conversations with people
> about Euan riding to work. I think people are impressed but also think
> 2 hours in the saddle each day is a little nuts until I point out the
> financial and health benefits.
>
> The other thing I discovered is that my mum has been telling everyone
> that I am doing triathlons so I am now a "triathlete". Well, wannabe is
> more like it but I now have quite a reputation to live up to so I guess
> I had better keep training! :D

Its all motivation. :)

Ian and I did the normal training ride... up toronga rd.. under the
walkway at the roundabout and down.. is it balaclava? and carlisle to
st kilda and then aspy and back. We averaged 29.2 was on scedule for
30 until we hit far too many lights.. 30 would be a PB

Dave

Euan

Guest

Tamyka> When I first bought my bike, my (triathlon) coach took me
Tamyka> into the transport compound at work, and made me practice
Tamyka> (1) clipping in, unclipping and stopping, both feet; (2)
Tamyka> tight turns and negotiating obstacles; (3) continuing in a
Tamyka> straight line while looking over my shoulder, both sides,
Tamyka> and extending that to peeking under my arms when on the
Tamyka> drops; (4) changing hand positions on the bars and grabbing
Tamyka> and returning bidons.

Which is all the stuff that the ATB training DVD recommends you do which
is why I think that stuff should be put in to the public domain. It
***** me that it isn't.

Confidence on the bike isn't something that just happens, unless you've
grown up on a bike of course :)
--
Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan

Guest

Tamyka> When I first bought my bike, my (triathlon) coach took me
Tamyka> into the transport compound at work, and made me practice
Tamyka> (1) clipping in, unclipping and stopping, both feet; (2)
Tamyka> tight turns and negotiating obstacles; (3) continuing in a
Tamyka> straight line while looking over my shoulder, both sides,
Tamyka> and extending that to peeking under my arms when on the
Tamyka> drops; (4) changing hand positions on the bars and grabbing
Tamyka> and returning bidons.

Which is all the stuff that the ATB training DVD recommends you do which
is why I think that stuff should be put in to the public domain. It
***** me that it isn't.

Confidence on the bike isn't something that just happens, unless you've
grown up on a bike of course :)
--
Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

Aeek

Guest
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:22:08 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nice idea, except it would include such phrases as "driver killed a
>pedestrian/dog/roo", which has nothing to do with how many drivers are
>killed.

Isn't a driver also a type of golf club?
-golf doesn't work because that's a common car.

BOT: there's also the individuals comfortable perceived risk factor.
Its dangerous satisfying mine driving a car.

Andre

Aeek

Guest
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:22:08 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nice idea, except it would include such phrases as "driver killed a
>pedestrian/dog/roo", which has nothing to do with how many drivers are
>killed.

Isn't a driver also a type of golf club?
-golf doesn't work because that's a common car.

BOT: there's also the individuals comfortable perceived risk factor.
Its dangerous satisfying mine driving a car.

Andre

Peka

Guest
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:26:54 +1100, Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:

>BOT: there's also the individuals comfortable perceived risk factor.
>Its dangerous satisfying mine driving a car.

Get a motorbike! It's really easy to reach the limits of your comfort
zone, even just going to the shop :)

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:31:34 +1000, Peka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Get a motorbike! It's really easy to reach the limits of your comfort
>zone, even just going to the shop :)

Been thinking of that for a few years but I wanted to carry my bike long distance.
Just got my third bike and I want to take all of them. No offroad bikes, yet.
How many bikes could I take, Canberra-Adelaide, riding a motorbike?

Andre

Aeek

Guest
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:31:34 +1000, Peka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Get a motorbike! It's really easy to reach the limits of your comfort
>zone, even just going to the shop :)

Been thinking of that for a few years but I wanted to carry my bike long distance.
Just got my third bike and I want to take all of them. No offroad bikes, yet.
How many bikes could I take, Canberra-Adelaide, riding a motorbike?

Andre

Peka

New Member
Aug 6, 2005
Aeek said:
Been thinking of that for a few years but I wanted to carry my bike long distance.
Just got my third bike and I want to take all of them. No offroad bikes, yet.
How many bikes could I take, Canberra-Adelaide, riding a motorbike?
You could carry all 3 with a trailer :)

Peka

New Member
Aug 6, 2005
Aeek said:
Been thinking of that for a few years but I wanted to carry my bike long distance.
Just got my third bike and I want to take all of them. No offroad bikes, yet.
How many bikes could I take, Canberra-Adelaide, riding a motorbike?
You could carry all 3 with a trailer :)

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
Resound said:
I really do enjoy my commute.

I wonder..

Do Aussies generally think cyclists are crazy because Aussie drivers are more likely to be aggressive and/or selfish?

I don't know enough pommie drivers to do a comparison, but I like riding here much more (cept for the feckin' cold) and I wonder if less drivers in the UK think cycling is "crazy" simply because they have a better attitude towards cyclists whilst driving?

If none of that makes sense, forget it, I haven't had my beer yet:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=127&pos=58

hippy

EuanB

New Member
Jan 11, 2005
hippy said:
I wonder..

Do Aussies generally think cyclists are crazy because Aussie drivers are more likely to be aggressive and/or selfish?

I don't know enough pommie drivers to do a comparison, but I like riding here much more (cept for the feckin' cold) and I wonder if less drivers in the UK think cycling is "crazy" simply because they have a better attitude towards cyclists whilst driving?

If none of that makes sense, forget it, I haven't had my beer yet:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=127&pos=58

hippy

At one time in the UK cycling was the dominant form of transport, that's probably got something to do with it. It's `normal'.