Cycling isn't important.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Callistus Valer, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Cycling just doesn't seem important anymore. I have several friends (also cyclists) that about to go
    "over the top" in what could be a brutal desert war. When I think about what they might have to do
    in house to house fighting, cycling seems so narcisstic, selfish and petty. Self-centered louts,
    only interested in the small and the insignificant.

    Tags:

  2. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    > Cycling just doesn't seem important anymore. I have several friends (also cyclists) that about
    > to go "over the top" in what could be a brutal desert war. When I think about what they might
    > have to do in house to
    house
    > fighting, cycling seems so narcisstic, selfish and petty. Self-centered louts, only interested in
    > the small and the insignificant.

    "Sport is something that parallels the human struggle - the will to succeed, the agony of defeat,
    the hero path," -- Clara Hughes

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > When I think about what they might have to do in house to house fighting, cycling seems so
    > narcisstic, selfish and petty.
    Self-centered
    > louts, only interested in the small and the insignificant.

    1) Self-centered louts pretty much describes everyone below Cat 2 all right.
    2) "only interested in the small and the insignificant" ??? You mean that you don't think making
    European pros wear helmets whether they want to or not is small and insignificant?

    BTW, you really ought to use your real name. Jason doesn't have any problem being publically
    embarassed. Of course he's had to live with it his whole life and you haven't.

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > Cycling just doesn't seem important anymore. I have several friends (also cyclists) that about
    > to go "over the top" in what could be a brutal desert war. When I think about what they might
    > have to do in house to house fighting, cycling seems so narcisstic, selfish and petty.
    > Self-centered louts, only interested in the small and the insignificant.

    Our friends, neighbors and relatives are risking their lives to - very indirectly - permit us to do
    silly crap like ride bikes. Let their sacrifice be not in vain.

  5. "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Sport is something that parallels the human struggle - the will to
    succeed,
    > the agony of defeat, the hero path," -- Clara Hughes

    She's quite the word-smith, eh? My fav is still "I was seeing Elvis", second only to getting away
    with saying "F**K!!" on national (Canadian) prime-time television.

    dominic

  6. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    > Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > > Cycling just doesn't seem important anymore. I have several friends (also cyclists) that
    > > about to go "over the top" in what could be a brutal desert war. When I think about what
    > > they might have to do in house to house fighting, cycling seems so narcisstic, selfish and
    > > petty. Self-centered louts, only interested in the small and the insignificant.
    > >
    > Raptor wrote: Our friends, neighbors and relatives are risking their lives to - very indirectly -
    > permit us to do silly crap like ride bikes. Let their sacrifice be not in vain.
    SADDAMS SECRET OBJECTIVE UNCOVERED (Reuters) US Secretary of Offense Donald Rumsfeld today announced
    that CIA, FBI and RBR agents had uncovered a plot by Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to cripple the
    sport of cycling in the US. The nefarious plots that the Iraqi leader planned included:
    * Alienating the US and France so US cyclists would be forced to give up their state of the art
    French equipment and instead use Chinese equipment.
    * Developing EPO and ephedrine gas and exposing US cyclists to this gas so that they test positive
    in drug tests.
    * Sponsoring more US pro teams so even cat 5's could get a pro license.
    * Sponsoring davidsommerville.com

    It is believed that the motive for this attack on US cycling interests is Saddams secret passion for
    the Tour 'd France and his desire to see a more interesting and competitive race this year.

  7. "T12XU" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I guess I've been on a different planet. Since when was cycling EVER important?
    >
    > Thomas Craven

    Cycling is unimportant unless its Masters racing, in which case it is very, very important.

    I am starting my 12 week EPO buildup cycle next week in preparation for my assault on the Fattie
    Masters Stars'n'Stripes.

    You should pay more attention to the posts by The Fatties in this newsgroup. A few of us have won
    District Championships and stuff! We are all experts.

    Kurgan Gringioni living The Dream

  8. Les

    Les Guest

    T12XU, using the address of [email protected], felt it was necessary to post to rec.bicycles.racing with
    the following words of wisdom:

    > I guess I've been on a different planet. Since when was cycling EVER important?

    Everyday....

    --
    remove the "x" if you feel that you must reply to me personally.

  9. Ilan Vardi

    Ilan Vardi Guest

    So why aren't you over there doing something about it, instead of whining to cyclists? Oh, and while
    you're at it, why don't you do something useful, like giving your life for you country or something
    equivalent to spare us this drivel.

    -ilan

    > Cycling just doesn't seem important anymore. I have several friends (also cyclists) that about to
    > go "over the top" in what could be a brutal desert war. When I think about what they might have to
    > do in house to house fighting, cycling seems so narcisstic, selfish and petty. Self-centered
    > louts, only interested in the small and the insignificant.

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Dang I was trying to hit the "recommend" button but there wasn't one.

    news:[email protected]...