Cycling Italy

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by J. Zwiebel, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. J. Zwiebel

    J. Zwiebel Guest

    Two of us are planning a one week bike trip to Italy in the Lombardia, Piemonte and alpine regions.
    We'll be doing road rides - no baggage - and would appreciate recommendations for rides 50 -80 miles
    in length.

    Thanks in advance!

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Johannes Zwiebel writes:

    > Two of us are planning a one week bike trip to Italy in the Lombardia, Piemonte and alpine
    > regions. We'll be doing road rides - no baggage - and would appreciate recommendations for rides
    > 50 -80 miles in length.

    That depends on where you want to set up base camp. For many good day rides, Cortina d'Ampezzo is
    ideal because it could take weeks to ride all the great roads in that area. On the other hand, if
    you plan to operate out of a moving base camp, I suggest reading some of the descriptions of routes
    in the Trento Bike Pages:

    http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/

  3. Peter R

    Peter R Guest

    i've ridden in piemonte a number of times, and in fact am going back in may for two weeks. . i have
    stayed in dogliani, and also in clavesana. this is the area that is wonderful. if you get a touring
    club italiano map of piemonte (1:200,000) you can see the possibilities. once you are in the region,
    you can also pick up maps that are 1:100,000. each day we plan a trip depending on how far we want
    to go that day, and if we want to go to a particular place for lunch. when are you going? if you
    want suggestions about specific places to stay, contact me directly.

    peter